Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 AM

50 k wow that's a ton!! Has it made any differance to the trout fishing? And perch or not these lakes need to stock every year due to the harvest, overwintering and inability to maintain natural reproduction .... Or am I incorrect?? U applaud you guys and your dedication.... I love sundance lake and have family and several friends who live there but I'm gonna go live in turner valley.. And about the kids fishery comment. As far as I'm concerned all community lakes in Calgary are "kids fisherys" regardless of the species present. like seriously look were we live 2 mins from the bow less than an hour from highwood Livingston ... ( and so many I will not mention) i believe there are enough good lakes with perch already in them of good size but I tell ya if I'm hunting a good trout experience I'm not going to my community lake ... Great for a bit after work when u got little time .... Or hey better yet a great place to take the. KIDS !!! I'm not much into a 4" perch factory but I'd take it any day over the 63 acre bug factory I currently have.... Although I am delighted to c the tigers in there only seen them at crawling valley ( tip: pull a floating lizard there for big pike) u took my daughter for a boat ride and it was almost depressing to c all that big lake with no life in it. And btw I'll take any and all of the perch anyone wants to discard head off and fried up 4" or 10" they taste the same to me!... Good thread mahogany man this is a great discussion with apparently lots of interest.... Someone should get this " sundance guy to weigh in I'd like to hear his more educated opinion.... Can we think more outside the box..?? Will we ever be able to deal with this cause to me netting and destroying thousands of perch ( to me) seems futile...?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 AM

Oh and by the way I know it isn't a staple diet and im not trying to start anything but I would respectfully disagree with the fact trout don't eat perch... Just based on personal experience
Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 AM

For anyone who cares the goldeye in the red deer river from Dickson dam down to at least red deer : fish are big and numerous and dang hungry too ! 12 tnite over 20 last nite
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post
and Goldscud...
Sorry goldscud, I couldnt remember your name.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM

It's true some trout will eat perch (especially young of the year). However, it is probably a low minority of the Rainbows that are stocked in Alberta that actively hunt fish as a preferred diet. Most of the time they will eat the easy meals...invertebrates. We have chub and fat head minnows in Sundance in addition to the perch, but the rainbows tend to eat bugs instead. Browns and Brookies would help the cause, but we are not able to purchase these fish.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 AM
pelada trochu

FYI: in my travels in south brazil... they have a species of trout that the ranchers like to eat. But the piranha travel during rainy season and totally overtake a pond/dugout. witnessed it myself. will post picture later!

was fun catching piranha!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 AM

Fishnafterwork, if you're up for some rainbow trout fishing, Crystal Shores community lake has decent sized rainbows that bite anything. I get home from vacation August 1 so hit me up.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahoganyMan View Post
Hi,
I am hoping someone can help, I live in a new neighborhood in SE Calgary (Mahogany). The lake is not yet complete, when the lake is complete our community is going to stock it with trout(next summer). I am on the lake pretty much everyday, except I have been away for the last 5 day for work. Anyway when I was on the lake last night it has appeared someone took it upon themselves(within the last 5 days) to introduce perch and a few other species) into the lake. I know all it could take is a bucket to ruin the lake. Granted perch are fun to catch, but no other fish species will be able to survive as perch like to feed on smaller fish (ie. stock trout, etc). Is there anything I or the community can do before it gets out of hand???

Trout wont be stock untill next summer IF the lake will be complete(who knows), I figure it wont be untill 2014. By then the fish that were put in there now will have taken over by then.

any ideas,??
thanks in advance,
MahoganyMan

I live there too,
I was told it would be 2014 when they first stock. Hope they don't forget to toss a few big suckers in there...

Wanna go out and catch em, or should we let them grow fat
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 AM

Default crystal shores

ya totaly highriver im always into fishing community lakes . i always wish one of the docks was mine! haha I'm going out to the west coast for a salmon/hali trip sometime early august (my father in law booked it) so i'll find out when it is and let u know..any perch problems in your lake?
Old 11-01-2015, 06:12 AM

Default Mahogany Lake Stocked

Well to end this thread on a good note they stocked Mahogany
lake 3 weeks ago with rainbows.