Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM

Question Snap Swivels vs. Direct Tie On

I've always wondered if tying a jig or spoon directly to the line is better than attaching a jig to a snap swivel as far as White Fish and Walleye (or any other fish for that matter, except a Pike) are concerned. Any comments or suggestions?
Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 PM

I tie directly to my line for everything.

Trout, Whitefish, Goldeye, Perch are direct to line and never had any problems.

Walleye and Sauger I will use a light fluro leader tied directly to the lure.

Pike I used a heavy braid with heavy fluro tied on for leader. Hook is tied directly on to fluro. Havent lost a hook due to poor connection or teeth since.

Have lost a few to under sized line on a big fish, but that is it.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
I tie directly to my line for everything.
x2. Takes 2 seconds and it takes the spook factor completely out.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:36 PM

I always do direct tie... I find better control and it's more natural...The lure moves more naturally ... Especially if there's a chance of catching trout with their spooky nature and good eye sight loosing the snap swivel has helped me tons...& if you need the free movement of the lure that snaps provide there's knots that do the same if not better IMO
Old 03-16-2013, 03:40 PM

I use suffix 832 on all my spinning and casting setups. I tie on flurocarbon to all the setups. Sometimes 3' to 12'.

I tie lines together with double uni knot and then fluor direct to lure.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Banned

Cool

Depends on presentation /lure choice for me . Spoons,spinners,rattlers I use a swivel. Jigs, stick baits , fly fishing , trolling bucktails I tie direct.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

I tie directly to my jig/lure for icefishing (except pike) and that's it. All other times I use a snap swivel because I change my rigs/lures fairly often. I don't think that fish get too spooked by a swivel when you have 2' of willow branch or 3" of lure on.....lol. It might make a difference with a jig but the walleye and occasional pike that I catch on jigs in the summer don't seem to mind the swivel too much.

For those of you tying your line right to your lures.....
Don't you ever have any problem with your line getting all twisted and prone to coiling up when using lures?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 PM

For walleye and whitefish i directly tie
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Line to a snap swivel then another swivel wih 18" flourocarbon/mono leader to diff types/colour of jigs.
Use a lindy rig tube for storage. Saves having to thread and tie in a dark tent to change hooks. And you can use Palomar knot on all tieons

Allso you dont have hooks catching the fabric in rod locker bags when your finished.

Last edited by Moosetalker; 03-16-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I tie directly to my jig/lure for icefishing (except pike) and that's it. All other times I use a snap swivel because I change my rigs/lures fairly often. I don't think that fish get too spooked by a swivel when you have 2' of willow branch or 3" of lure on.....lol. It might make a difference with a jig but the walleye and occasional pike that I catch on jigs in the summer don't seem to mind the swivel too much.

For those of you tying your line right to your lures.....
Don't you ever have any problem with your line getting all twisted and prone to coiling up when using lures?
I place a swivel without snap at leader main line connection . 2'ish for casting, just less than rod length for trolling.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Banned

I detest snap swivels.

Swivel and split ring for all my swivelling needs. In a variety of sizes.

I direct tie jigs.

Spoons, spinners and other rotational or laterally moving lures get a swivel
Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I place a swivel without snap at leader main line connection . 2'ish for casting, just less than rod length for trolling.
So every time you switch from a red devil to a 5 of diamonds to a Mepps black fury you have to re-tie your lure? I'm way too lazy for that plus it cuts into the amount of time my line is in the water.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:10 PM

Depending on what I'm fishin for & what presentation I'm using I have a number of different options to choose from, & I still like using these ... the quick snap is less than 1/8" length.

Zip ...

Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM

I prefer to tie direct. Sometimes use a snap or snap swivel. Casting or trolling spinners I will put a swivel 2-3' up the line(leader).

If I am searching for the "right" lure, I might use a snap at the end till I figure out the bite. Allows for quick change.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM

Depends on what I'm doing ......

I run braid almost exclusively (except on my ultralight gear) and use a swivel to a fluorocarbon leader to eliminate line twist.

I will tie on flys, jigs, buck tails, circle hooks, drop shots and other fine presentations.

For cranks and spoons (in order to change up quickly and where spooking isn't a big concern) I use a swivel snap.

Pike, of course, requires a steel leader or heavier fluorocarbon leader.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I detest snap swivels.

Swivel and split ring for all my swivelling needs. In a variety of sizes.

I direct tie jigs.

Spoons, spinners and other rotational or laterally moving lures get a swivel
Tied coast locks? I assume you are thinking about eliminating failures on those typical junky swivel snaps .....

Coast locks work great and are super strong ..... with a small size 6 @300lbs test - these are awesome.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So every time you switch from a red devil to a 5 of diamonds to a Mepps black fury you have to re-tie your lure? I'm way too lazy for that plus it cuts into the amount of time my line is in the water.
See first post . Spoons get snap swivel
Old 03-16-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Depending on what I'm fishin for & what presentation I'm using I have a number of different options to choose from, & I still like using these ... the quick snap is less than 1/8" length.

Zip ...

I lost a epic fish on one of those - straightened the hook on the clasp loop and pulled it right through. ......I sat on the lake for 45 minutes drifting around before I even looked up from the floor of my boat.

I got home and trashed all of that type of snap swivel. One valuable lesson on a contender sized pike that swam away free that day.

Since then I have been doing some "destructive testing" on all sorts of designs of swivel snaps using a vise, my trolling ball, and a 2x4, and found the coast locks to hold up the best.

Sampo is the best brand that I've found;

http://www.basspro.com/Sampo-Ball-Be...product/15169/

They are probably fine for your average quarry - but you never know when the big one will eat your bait.

Last edited by EZM; 03-16-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:11 PM

I honestly don't think that it really matters for walleye, never caught a white fish so can't comment on them. I have caught a bunch of walleye using steel leaders so what I figure is that a snap swivel sure as hell isn't going to scare them away, as mentioned if you are using say a spoon then you will definitely want a swivel in there somewhere. That said I do tie on jigs as I think they perform a little better without the snap.

What I use is the following

Pike or pike infested walleye lakes: Titanium leader
Walleye: Swivel most of the time, direct tie on if I am only jigging
Trout: Most often direct tie on, odd time a swivel depending on lures I am using.
Perch: Direct tie on
Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I lost a epic fish on one of those - straightened the hook on the clasp loop and pulled it right through. ......I sat on the lake for 45 minutes drifting around before I even looked up from the floor of my boat.

I got home and trashed all of that type of snap swivel. One valuable lesson on a contender sized pike that swam away free that day.

Since then I have been doing some "destructive testing" on all sorts of designs of swivel snaps using a vise, my trolling ball, and a 2x4, and found the coast locks to hold up the best.

They are probably fine for your average quarry - but you never know when the big one will eat your bait.
Ever use the drag on your reel?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Ever use the drag on your reel?
Yes.

Works great.

How do you suggest I keep a big girl from going into the sunken timbers and tree roots using my drag?

Maybe it's a better idea to try and bull dog her out and and take a risk instead of having a zero chance of getting her out of there without a snag.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Works great.

How do you suggest I keep a big girl from going into the sunken timbers and tree roots using my drag?

Maybe it's a better idea to try and bull dog her out and and take a risk instead of having a zero chance of getting her out of there without a snag.

Wow...just a simple question lol.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Wow...just a simple question lol.
No worries .......... an emtional moment for me ........ I'm not kidding about sitting there drifting around and looking at the floor of my boat for 45 minutes.

You and Geezle know the spot............. it was there on in inside edge of those sunken timbers off the reef.

Caught the girl on the down slope at the bottom and she went up and over and toward those sunken timbers.

I hate fat chicks ..........

I might go the rest of my life and never hook another one like that.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
No worries .......... an emtional moment for me ........ I'm not kidding about sitting there drifting around and looking at the floor of my boat for 45 minutes.

You and Geezle know the spot............. it was there on in inside edge of those sunken timbers off the reef.

Caught the girl on the down slope at the bottom and she went up and over and toward those sunken timbers.

I hate fat chicks ..........

I might go the rest of my life and never hook another one like that.
All good, your love if the sport will keep you coming back Its the ones I didnt catch that keep me going lol. Ive just never had a swivel straighten out on me, couldnt imagine on a big hog like that...
Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Banned

Lost a 20+ pounder in Fawcette Lake a bunch of years ago. she hit the surface, seen my mug, rolled and snapped me off.

Steel leader whenever there are pike around - neither pike or walleye seem to care. anything else, i'll tie direct.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 PM

I've had lines snap or knots break and even a few swivel snaps open up but this was a EPIC FAIL and it just simply pulled through the catch on snap like wire .......... funny thing is the line was only 14lb braid.

I'm guessing it was the constant pressure I had to keep on her as I was barbless and trying to keep her away from the junk.

I now use 30 lb to hunt girls.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've had lines snap or knots break and even a few swivel snaps open up but this was a EPIC FAIL and it just simply pulled through the catch on snap like wire .......... funny thing is the line was only 14lb braid.

I'm guessing it was the constant pressure I had to keep on her as I was barbless and trying to keep her away from the junk.

I now use 30 lb to hunt girls.
I've had swivels open or pull straight a few times too. The wire that snaps the swivel is typically bent 90 degrees, bend it down further. When it's closed, it'll take much more to straighten it out. I do that simple fix to all my swivels now, never had one let go since.

40 pound braid, 30 pound leaders when there's a chance at bigger pike now.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Banned

Geez, are you guys using those swivels that don't have the bend in them at the clasp or what? My line would snap long before it'd straighten out my swivel. I use lighter line with a medium light action rod though so that might be the difference and I don't usually hook +20lb pike either.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 AM

My guess is that the snap wasn't closed 100% at the time of hookup or somehow the line got wrapped around it or something like that and unsnapped it. It takes an awful lot to open up even the crappiest swivel snaps and unless it was the miniature size for trout or something like that I just don't see it happening.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 AM

I've had a couple pike over the years bend the snap swivel right out (using the standard 30 lb leaders) or snap the wire leader portion while ice fishing. I now make my own leaders using heavier duty hardware, one just doesn't have the luxery of drag on the tipups...