Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 AM

I tie direct to all my hooks unless i'm fishing for pike, trolling with spoons or raps. Need the leader for pike and the swivel to stop line twist. All jigging is direct tie.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Tied coast locks? I assume you are thinking about eliminating failures on those typical junky swivel snaps .....

Coast locks work great and are super strong ..... with a small size 6 @300lbs test - these are awesome.
size 6 @ 300lbs?

do you have a link?

I think it is more like 50lb

anyhow, I'm not going to pay that much for a snap swivel. another reason why a split ring and swivel is a functional alternative
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

I use snaps or snap swivles whenever I can get away with it. Because I dont use very heavy gear I've never had snap failures. I use these realy tiny Mustad snaps and then either clip them to a swivle, or tie a piece of mono between them and the swivle depending on what I'm doing. Because these snaps can be opened at each end I have a whole system around using them, I can switch from lures to slip bobers to lindy rigs without tying tying a single knot.

Ocasionaly for trout and walleye one needs to tie direct.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Fishing in Western Manitoba I have used a little snap swivel on my lines for ease of changing lures. Since many lakes in my area have pike I sometimes use a leader if using an expensive hook. I tried ice fishing on the red River in Winnipeg for walleye and caught nothing. Watched them on the flasher come in then disappear to my buddies line 10 feet away and bite his rod. Exact same lure and bait. On his rod was a swivel and about 3 feet of 6 pound ice line then lure direct tied. That seemed to be the key to why we didn't catch fish. I noticed increased catches using this method. If there is chance of pike I will use the smallest leader in can. Definitely notice that fish notice from area to area what you are using. If you are not catching with a snap swivel direct tie and you should see a change in your catching.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Depending on what I'm fishin for & what presentation I'm using I have a number of different options to choose from, & I still like using these ... the quick snap is less than 1/8" length.

Zip ...

That's exactly what I use. Mind you, if I notice there are fish down there and they're not biting, I'll ditch the swivel and sometimes it makes a difference. I'm too lazy to re-tie every time I want to change up lures, even though I usually have as many as 7 rods going. I think it depends on the lake though. Calling has never been a problem with a snap swivel. Rock Island on the other hand; better to tie direct. Just experiment and see for yourself if it makes a difference or not.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
size 6 @ 300lbs?

do you have a link?

I think it is more like 50lb

anyhow, I'm not going to pay that much for a snap swivel. another reason why a split ring and swivel is a functional alternative
50lbs is for crap like Dainelson brand

there are mid market ones here that are not too pricey;

Size 6 - 180lbs - regular grade ones here;

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...duct/10209879/

http://www.matzuo.com/Matzuo_Swivels.aspx

I have a pkg of these premium ones .....

Size 6 - 275lbs.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...ok-snapswivels

These (below link) ones are 300lb - #6 pricey but strong ....

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...SSSELL_PRODUCT

I like these .....

Last edited by EZM; 03-17-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Banned

$5+ for a swivel.

You could catch a tuna or a shark with those.

Or a pike I guess:/
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
$5+ for a swivel.

You could catch a tuna or a shark with those.

Or a pike I guess:/
They are not cheap - but one can last a few seasons .....

The way I look at things ....... I can't afford to buy cheap stuff ......

The mid market stuff is more reasonably priced and probably is more than enough. I'm convinced the design is simply better. Kind of a pain in the but sometimes when the fingers are cold or the eyelet of your lure is small .... but they should never fail.

I have one tied to every rod right onto the braid - then attach either a mono, fluorocarbon or titanium leader depending on what I'm doing.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM

always direct tie to the hook/lure. If needed on a lure that spins, or could spin the line up I will put a swivel 2-3 feet up the line. I fish with a guy who puts snaps on every single hook, and leaders, wether fishing perch or trout or walleye, and I easily out fish him 4-1 every single time we go. And this is going on 7 years now...Hes pretty hard-headed
Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

You can get these little micro swivels at Bass Pro made by Raven or somebody that come in sizes 0, 00, and 000.

They are great. I use them all the time.

They are very small but will take at least up to 20lb mono