Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 07:15 AM

Default Where is Good fishing in AB & SK

Hello ... i wanted to ask and see where is there Huge Big Jacks and Whitefish or even picks... ibe caught fish but kind of looking for Monsters. Kinda wanna plan for a sommer trip.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Alberta and Saskatchewan should be a good start.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM

The best fishing in Alberta is over in Saskatchewan.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Sometimes the best fishing in Saskatchewan can be found in Alberta. For example, if you are looking for stunted perch, no better place then AB. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Based on past post over the years I would have to say Frank Lake is the spot for large everything.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
The best fishing in Alberta is over in Saskatchewan.
HA! Good one
Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Based on past post over the years I would have to say Frank Lake is the spot for large everything.
See now there is where I have a problem with the internet. In one post you may have ruined the great fishery that is Frank Lake.

Frank Lake before:

Frank Lake after:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (4).jpg (9.5 KB, 821 views)
File Type: jpg 00003512052970.jpg (77.7 KB, 814 views)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
See now there is where I have a problem with the internet. In one post you may have ruined the great fishery that is Frank Lake.

Frank Lake before:

Frank Lake after:
lol ... and that my friend is why I NEVER share fishing locations over social media. In person, if I know you sure! But not on the internet lol. I've never seen it quite that bad but I've seen the bucket brigades begin the ruin a few lakes after some well intended person posted a hot location.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Speak to the head biologist in SK, with the upcoming changes in AB he wants and is expecting to see your dollars.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:17 AM

I heard Bistcho lake in the far north west of the province has some of the biggest pike and whites you have ever seen :-) Probably the best bet at a true "trophy" fish here in Alberta.

It will probably run you a few hundred each way to fly in there, but man you have the chance at a fish of your life.

If you move over to Sask, there are several outfits you can team up with on most of the major lakes. Cree Lake lodge gets high marks, so does Wollaston. Be prepared to spend a little bit of $$$ on these kinds of trips, but really its worth it.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Hello ... i wanted to ask and see where is there Huge Big Jacks and Whitefish or even picks... ibe caught fish but kind of looking for Monsters. Kinda wanna plan for a sommer trip.
I am fairly familiar with the lakes in north west Saskatchewan. There are very few drive into lakes that you can expect to catch huge jacks. If you can afford a fly in trip, I would recommend Cree Lake. There are some lakes that you can drive to that have big jacks. Lac la Plonge is one of them. I have taken a 46 inch, 30 pound jack there. They are, however, not easy to catch. Best bet for drive in lake country , for all round fishing, is Buffalo Narrows. Some of you guys will be shaking your head and thinking why would this fool give away his choice fishing lakes. Those guys may want to take a look at Google Earth Maps. Peter Pond and Churchill lakes are huge. These are not Alberta lakes. A couple of years ago another AO member posted asking for a recommendation for a fishing lake in NW Sask. I asked him what type of boat he had. He said a 12 foot aluminum. I advised that a boat like that was not suited for most of the really good fishing lakes in Saskatchewan. He indignantly responded that he had no trouble with it in all the lake around Calgary.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:23 AM

Hehe. Huge big jacks u should be able to pick up at the nearest mechanical shop or u could go to the local lumber-mill and just yelp "Looking for a Huge Big Jack" and see if u get any nibbles. Could always try the base of the beanstalk too?! Monster Whitefish only exist in Sask and here in Alberta we don't use picks, just fingernails.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
I am fairly familiar with the lakes in north west Saskatchewan. There are very few drive into lakes that you can expect to catch huge jacks. If you can afford a fly in trip, I would recommend Cree Lake. There are some lakes that you can drive to that have big jacks. Lac la Plonge is one of them. I have taken a 46 inch, 30 pound jack there. They are, however, not easy to catch. Best bet for drive in lake country , for all round fishing, is Buffalo Narrows. Some of you guys will be shaking your head and thinking why would this fool give away his choice fishing lakes. Those guys may want to take a look at Google Earth Maps. Peter Pond and Churchill lakes are huge. These are not Alberta lakes. A couple of years ago another AO member posted asking for a recommendation for a fishing lake in NW Sask. I asked him what type of boat he had. He said a 12 foot aluminum. I advised that a boat like that was not suited for most of the really good fishing lakes in Saskatchewan. He indignantly responded that he had no trouble with it in all the lake around Calgary.

Ha I bet they had it named the S.S. MINNOW II.....
Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Default Good Picks

most of the good picks I've seen and had other folks (too old now and bad memories of the being on the business end when much younger) on the business / operating end of were a hickory handled number from somewhere like Lee Valley. Pricey but good quality.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 AM
Banned

Book yourself a trip to Cree River Lodge.

http://www.creeriverlodge.ca/fishing.php#gallery
Old 01-12-2018, 05:15 PM

The number of untouched lakes in Northern SK is mindboggling. Once north of Beauval (Lac La Plonge) or La Ronge, it is fishing heaven. Any lake that is fed through a river will have excellent fishing (the rivers tend to provide walleye breeding areas). Honestly, there is world-class fishing almost everywhere. A backroads map book and a little wherewithal could easily get you a few pieces of paradise.

I can super confidently recommend Besnard Lake. It has a couple of fishing camps and a campground. The lake is also freaking HUGE! It is patrolled quite heavily by conservation officers, so the place stays fairly legit.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Your a joke try putting some effort in
Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
ibe caught fish
your dedication to the resource is noted.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
You French by chance?
Old 01-14-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
lol ... and that my friend is why I NEVER share fishing locations over social media. In person, if I know you sure! But not on the internet lol. I've never seen it quite that bad but I've seen the bucket brigades begin the ruin a few lakes after some well intended person posted a hot location.
This is why there is a Inbox
Old 01-14-2018, 08:25 PM

Look at the lake in your area then type in Pike or Lake Whitefish
http://www.albertafishingguide.com/

then use Alberta Fish and Game site to look at yearly records where they came from
http://www.afga.org/wildlife-awards.html

Good luck on your Quest

David

Quote:
Old 01-15-2018, 06:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
The number of untouched lakes in Northern SK is mindboggling. Once north of Beauval (Lac La Plonge) or La Ronge, it is fishing heaven. Any lake that is fed through a river will have excellent fishing (the rivers tend to provide walleye breeding areas). Honestly, there is world-class fishing almost everywhere. A backroads map book and a little wherewithal could easily get you a few pieces of paradise.

I can super confidently recommend Besnard Lake. It has a couple of fishing camps and a campground. The lake is also freaking HUGE! It is patrolled quite heavily by conservation officers, so the place stays fairly legit.
Yup the lake of a thousand islands...just all around awesome fishing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup the lake of a thousand islands...just all around awesome fishing.
My family has a cabin on Besnard. The lake is so big and filled with fish, even at peak time (June and the first 2 weeks of July), I almost never see another boat. I have never had to share a spot.

The owners of Collins Camps are awesome. Besnard Lake Lodge is good too, but I have less experience with them.

It is so different from Alberta. I like fly fishing for early season pike. I will use big-ass disco flies and I will be catching 2 walleye for every pike I catch. I usually pull out one 40"+ pike a year (which I always release, so they are still in there), except last year---I must have caught 20 in that 8-10lb range, but no monsters in that 15+lb category.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
My family has a cabin on Besnard. The lake is so big and filled with fish, even at peak time (June and the first 2 weeks of July), I almost never see another boat. I have never had to share a spot.

The owners of Collins Camps are awesome. Besnard Lake Lodge is good too, but I have less experience with them.

It is so different from Alberta. I like fly fishing for early season pike. I will use big-ass disco flies and I will be catching 2 walleye for every pike I catch. I usually pull out one 40"+ pike a year (which I always release, so they are still in there), except last year---I must have caught 20 in that 8-10lb range, but no monsters in that 15+lb category.
I fished that lake hard three times now, found it on a whim in 1990 as a army buddy and I needed to get away from things, pointed to the lake and made the run up....never ever disappointed, your lake is a beauty and to have a cabin there is awesome.

September is just amazing time to be there too.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I fished that lake hard three times now, found it on a whim in 1990 as a army buddy and I needed to get away from things, pointed to the lake and made the run up....never ever disappointed, your lake is a beauty and to have a cabin there is awesome.

September is just amazing time to be there too.
Sir, thank you for your service
Old 01-16-2018, 02:14 AM

Be aware that the road north of Beauval to Besnard lake is gravel. Sometimes the road is not in great condition. You definitely will want to give careful thought about quality of boat you pull on that road. You will suffer some damage from the gravel. It is blacktop all the way to Beauval. I would recommend Tinker's Lodge or Hanson's Fishing Camp on Little Peter Pond. They will rent you a cabin and a boat. I fished at Hanson's Lodge last spring. Lots of action for pickerel and jacks. Hanson's Lodge's phone number is 306 235 7803. If you call, tell Richard that Two Stitch Dave recommended his lodge.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Be aware that the road north of Beauval to Besnard lake is gravel. Sometimes the road is not in great condition. You definitely will want to give careful thought about quality of boat you pull on that road. You will suffer some damage from the gravel. It is blacktop all the way to Beauval. I would recommend Tinker's Lodge or Hanson's Fishing Camp on Little Peter Pond. They will rent you a cabin and a boat. I fished at Hanson's Lodge last spring. Lots of action for pickerel and jacks. Hanson's Lodge's phone number is 306 235 7803. If you call, tell Richard that Two Stitch Dave recommended his lodge.
Yup the road into Bessnard can get slick, rained once for two days prior to pulling out, 4X4 for the most part but that is why the lake is so great, a little adventure along the way and then the lake itself can be deadly on the lower leg of an outboard if your not careful....

Old 01-17-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
For the record, on the way to Besnard from Edmonton hauling a boat, we have found it to be consistently faster with less wear and tear to travel to Prince Albert, then north on hwy2 to hwy165.

The total trip from Edmonton is about 60 or 70km farther to go through Prince Albert, but a constant 100kmh can be sustained for a larger portion. Furthermore, the section of the highway between hwy2/hwy165 to Besnard is almost always in better shape than the section between Beauval and Besnard. (the 10 or so times I have travelled through Beauval, only once has it been faster than a trip through Prince Albert, but I was an hour behind the grater)