Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Default Looking for someone that can make a new tent

I have a great ice fishing tent, more to the point, the frame is awesome, but the fabric sucks. It is green, blocks very little light. I want to get a new cover made, in heavy black.

Does anyone know where I can get one made, that wont take 3 months or cost a fortune?

My tent is 7' x 7' x7' roughly.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 PM

If it was me I'd be tempted to make one myself! You already have the perfect pattern to follow - just take apart your existing one, get the new material, trace out the parts onto the new material, etc

Failing that, maybe one of those small (asian?) clothes alterations places can sew it all together for you if you bring in the existing one and the new material.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
If it was me I'd be tempted to make one myself! You already have the perfect pattern to follow - just take apart your existing one, get the new material, trace out the parts onto the new material, etc

Failing that, maybe one of those small (asian?) clothes alterations places can sew it all together for you if you bring in the existing one and the new material.
Good Idea!
I would also look at possibly just adding panels on the inside. Thus thickening the walls and making it stronger and darker at the same time.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Good Idea!
I would also look at possibly just adding panels on the inside. Thus thickening the walls and making it stronger and darker at the same time.
Another good idea! Some of that curtain blackout material would work a treat.

Also - insulated tarp. Never worked with the stuff myself but it seems to come up in conversations here a lot.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM

My trouble is the sewing machine the wife has will not go through anything that heavy, so can't do it myself.

I don't know if anyone local does alterations, but will look into that for sure.

I had thought if I could get a black piece of fabric that I could attach to the 4 corners and middle, it would at least help, but full black walls would be far better.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Default Loctite Color Guard

Not sure if this suits you but if your fabric isn’t ripped - just doesn't block light - you might try coating the inside with Loctite Color Guard:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Pro...SKU=1000003835
(didn't find a Canadian retailer online yet)

This is what the people at Clam shelters recommend when the black lining starts to wear off their tents:
http://www.clamcorp.com/AboutUs/Cust...5/Default.aspx

From their website:
"Q: There are cracks on the inside finish of the fabric of my shelter. Is this normal? Can anything be done to fix this?
A: It is normal for some of the dark colored coating to come off the inside of the tent. Over time, as you set up and take down the shelter, the dark coating can begin to flake off, especially along the folds in the fabric when the shelter is collapsed. This does not affect the function of the fabric. If you feel that too much light is now entering your shelter in the places where some of the coating has come off, you may wish to apply a new layer of rubberized coating. A product you may use for this is Loctite Color Guard (black), available in liquid (paint-on) or aerosol form. The product number is LOC 34894. This is available at many hardware or home improvement stores."
Old 01-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry B View Post
Not sure if this suits you but if your fabric isn’t ripped - just doesn't block light - you might try coating the inside with Loctite Color Guard
Another great idea!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM

calgary tent and awning
i also believe campers village can help or hook you up
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM

another solution my lady found doing some research, is Plastidip multipurpose rubber coating. its good for fabric as well . found it at Home Hardware.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Im planning making a hut out of materail from this company http://www.norseman.ca/
Im not sure what thire materail is worth i snaged mine from my rig as we got new ones. its a heavy vinly fabric varry strong and light blocking
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My trouble is the sewing machine the wife has will not go through anything that heavy, so can't do it myself.

I don't know if anyone local does alterations, but will look into that for sure.

I had thought if I could get a black piece of fabric that I could attach to the 4 corners and middle, it would at least help, but full black walls would be far better.
VELCRO
Then if you wanted to take down a panel or two you can
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 AM

Would probly be cheaper to buy a new one unless you can sew it yourself. Just the material would cost the price of a new tent these days. Can get a new tent for under $300 these days. Some even under $200.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Canadian tire 4 man is on today for 200 bucks, 100 off the regular price. or check ebay, Braun got a very good tent for under 200 also

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeMaster View Post
Im planning making a hut out of materail from this company http://www.norseman.ca/
Im not sure what thire materail is worth i snaged mine from my rig as we got new ones. its a heavy vinly fabric varry strong and light blocking
One name for this product is "Bantex" . It is usually used for making banners with text on both sides to eliminate read through. A few places in Edmonchuk carry it or a similar product. I used 10, 14, and 19 oz. material when painting and screen printing banners years back. It is white vinyl fabric on two sides with a block out between. The 19 oz. is durable, flexible, and should work well for an ice tent.

Check the tent /awning manufucturers.

stan
Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 PM

I know it would be likely easier to buy a new one, but if you guys saw the frame under this unit, you would understand. All the legs are connected, when folded up it fits in a 8" x 8" x 24" bag.

Grab a leg on each side and start walking, and it is 7' x7', extend the legs and it is 7' high, 8 in the middle. It is an amazing setup.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I know it would be likely easier to buy a new one, but if you guys saw the frame under this unit, you would understand. All the legs are connected, when folded up it fits in a 8" x 8" x 24" bag.

Grab a leg on each side and start walking, and it is 7' x7', extend the legs and it is 7' high, 8 in the middle. It is an amazing setup.
Check out all these alterations/sewing places up the road from you in Lloydminster (results A to D)

I'd give one of them a call and see if there's any way they can help. It might cost you $100 or something (if you try and do some of the work yourself with the wife bu cutting all the pieces out etc).
Old 01-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Sounds like a great tent. I would love to see pics. Is it home built?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM

It is from Wal-mart, wonderful design, crappy fabric

Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM

folded it is 8" x 8" x 36", opened and set up 9' x 9' x 93"

this takes about 30 seconds if 1 person does it.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Canadian tire 4 man is on today for 200 bucks, 100 off the regular price. or check ebay, Braun got a very good tent for under 200 also
Bought one of those for $200 on sale a few months back. Love it. Very dark. Long skirt. Keeps the wind out. Sturdy. Slick set up and tear down. For the price, you just can't go wrong.

Oh and the windows have not cracked. And the carrying bag is so big it's easy to put the tent back in. All the things I thought I would be gripping about are not an issue with this tent. Just the opposite.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeYammy View Post
Bought one of those for $200 on sale a few months back. Love it. Very dark. Long skirt. Keeps the wind out. Sturdy. Slick set up and tear down. For the price, you just can't go wrong.

Oh and the windows have not cracked. And the carrying bag is so big it's easy to put the tent back in. All the things I thought I would be gripping about are not an issue with this tent. Just the opposite.
picked one up today, it looks pretty good, Im going to have a collection of ice tents pretty soon at this rate, set up my own shantytown, and all but the 2 man would let Ken stand up in them Im pretty sure. he could wear that one for a hat!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Last edited by WayneChristie; 01-06-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: too tired to type rite
Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Ken I had forgotten about this place, the black material would be great for a cover.
http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/pr.../colorpoly.htm

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Hutterite colony??

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Ken I had forgotten about this place, the black material would be great for a cover.
http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/pr.../colorpoly.htm
expensive though, 10'x12' 52.40, it would be 300.00 and it is just black poly. I have a 200' x 24' roll of black plastic too, but I really want to find that nice black heavy stuff they used to use on the ice tents.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 PM

http://www.airdriecanvas.ca/
http://www.whitelineshelters.com/
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Another couple to call, thanks!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 AM

UFA in Red Deer has fish hut fabric. Big roll just in front of the gun shelf, not sure what the price is.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
I have a great ice fishing tent, more to the point, the frame is awesome, but the fabric sucks. It is green, blocks very little light. I want to get a new cover made, in heavy black.

Does anyone know where I can get one made, that wont take 3 months or cost a fortune?

My tent is 7' x 7' x7' roughly.
I would be tempted to try seat vinyl. Would be the last covering you would need. It can be reasonable to buy on sale at Fabricland when a 50% off sale comes on. Wouldnt be much of a problem to pattern it from the original, and maybe a day maybe two, to sew.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 PM

That sounds great, cost and foldability would be an issue though I think. I am going to get Mrs. K to call them tomorrow. Thanks!