Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2015, 10:35 PM

Default My fingers are really sore

It has been a crazy couple days in gopher heavan..we had seen a field back in April and could not believe the numbers of the prairie rats, went by it again in May and it was still crazy...got permission from the farmer and my Brother and I shot 419 on Thursday night in about 3 hrs..the field was moving...he had a son coming down from Calgary and thought we should take the boys out for a shoot.So Saturday the five of us went out, four shooters and one guy reloading clips and counting with a hand counter.in just 5 hrs we took 1113 the boys had a great time. Many laughs and some group pics.That night I called Dad (83) want to go shoot some gophers Dad on Fathers Day...for sure he says. told him bring tons of shells we may shoot 500 or so he, your crazy he said .Picked him up at AM and out we went a fairly good wind was blowing. I know we only had hit about 1/2 of the field and where we went was the place we saw so many. Dad might have shot the first 50-60 and I just kept reloading his clips, all i heard him say was this is unreal, I KNOW ITS HARD TO VISION BUT SOME TIMES WHEN THE SUN WAS OUT we would see 100 to 150 standing it was mind blowing. if a seagull would fly by they all scurried to their holes, shooting them had no effect on them, they would fight, knock one off and the other would start to eat him.We ended in under 5 hrs because we ran out of shells,,we ran out on all three hunts..LOLOLL,Today with Dad our total was 908... total for the three hunts..... 2440
here is some pics from today.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB

Last edited by threeforthree; 06-21-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 PM

Sweet! Looks like you had a "blast". What kind of rifles were you using.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Sweet! Looks like you had a "blast". What kind of rifles were you using.
95 percent was 22LR out of rugers 10/22. hundred or so from a 17HMR, about 200 from a 17 WSM..this gun messed them up bad...longest was 147 yards..we did a few autopsy on some the farthest blow away from a hole with the 17 WSM was 18ft from point of impact to where it came to rest..done with measuring tape

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 PM

Seems to be lots of gophers everywhere, must be the height of the cycle. Fun for all....
Old 06-21-2015, 10:59 PM

Looks like a blast.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 AM

Reminds me, time to take the family out for some gopher population reduction.

Watching IncrediGirl at work with the BRNO is a sight to behold. "Next clip, please, Sweetie..."
Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 AM

I'm jealous of you southern boys. In my "good" patch up here you are lucky to shoot 20.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 AM

Looks like great fun! those barrels must have been awfully warm!!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:21 AM

Wow incredible pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 AM

Good times and lots of laughs. May never see a field like this again :-(
Old 06-22-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
It has been a crazy couple days in gopher heavan..we had seen a field back in April and could not believe the numbers of the prairie rats, went by it again in May and it was still crazy...got permission from the farmer and my Brother and I shot 419 on Thursday night in about 3 hrs..the field was moving...he had a son coming down from Calgary and thought we should take the boys out for a shoot.So Saturday the five of us went out, four shooters and one guy reloading clips and counting with a hand counter.in just 5 hrs we took 1113 the boys had a great time. Many laughs and some group pics.That night I called Dad (83) want to go shoot some gophers Dad on Fathers Day...for sure he says. told him bring tons of shells we may shoot 500 or so he, your crazy he said .Picked him up at AM and out we went a fairly good wind was blowing. I know we only had hit about 1/2 of the field and where we went was the place we saw so many. Dad might have shot the first 50-60 and I just kept reloading his clips, all i heard him say was this is unreal, I KNOW ITS HARD TO VISION BUT SOME TIMES WHEN THE SUN WAS OUT we would see 100 to 150 standing it was mind blowing. if a seagull would fly by they all scurried to their holes, shooting them had no effect on them, they would fight, knock one off and the other would start to eat him.We ended in under 5 hrs because we ran out of shells,,we ran out on all three hunts..LOLOLL,Today with Dad our total was 908... total for the three hunts..... 2440
here is some pics from today.

Those pictures are unreal!