Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Okay... Just to examine one metric being discussed, comparing fuel economy versus savings...

A 2022 Rav4 XLE AWD like I bought (not the lowest level), on Toyota Canada's website the cost is $35,265.xx and it is rated for 7.1l/100km highway and 8.8l/100km city.

The lowest level Rav4 Prime SE AWD is $46,090.xx and is rated for 5.7l/100km and 6.4l/100km, and that is if you are fortunate enough to get one for list price and not the dealership inflated price.

Obviously everyones driving varies as to how much city versus how much highway driving they do, but let's generously say you are saving a combined total of 2.0l/100 KM. Even if gas is $2.00/l that equals $40/1000 km's driven. Just roughly and quickly that means you are driving almost 300,000km just to recover the cost difference in fuel saved.

Now of course we would need to calculate total cost of ownership over 300,000km of driving including maintenance, insurance, etc etc but this number certainly give one pause to consider that any potential long term savings are not as effective as one would think and that you have to spend all that money up front hoping to get it back later...

Again, this is just considering fuel cost to overall cost.
There are an awful lot of people who drive less than 70 km a day, or those that do short trips and can plug in in between those trips. In theory they would never use the gas in the tank in a plug in hybrid, making the vehicle an EV with none of the limitations associated with an EV.

Last edited by Scott h; 10-30-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
There are an awful lot of people who drive less than 70 km a day, or those that do short trips and can plug in in between those trips. In theory they would never use the gas in the tank in a plug in hybrid, making the vehicle an EV with none of the limitations associated with an EV.
For those people, a hybrid makes sense, I live in a small city, but I drive more than 70km a few times every week for most of the year, with the vast majority of my mileage on trips of 100km to 700km, so a hybrid makes no sense for me, and a full EV wouldn't work at all.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:29 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You are correct for sure that they could do that, but again speaking strictly from a savings perspective, if they only drive those distances and have to recharge their vehicle regularly, are they saving money long term versus just buying gasser and paying way less up front? In fact it would take that person longer time wise to recover their cost differences... That is not even taking into account that if they do rely only on electricity and regular full charging, their battery will need replacing in fairly short order (in perspective of course versus replacing an engine because it wore out).

My point being is that overall cost savings from not burning fuel versus purchase and maintenance costs are not really there. That should not be your reason for buying one. I just ask people to be realistic about why they are doing it, and to be honest is is often more about virtue signalling to their friends than anything. Or they are just the kind of people who always gravitate to new tech. Either way, I don't care. Just be honest about it.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-30-2022, 12:44 PM

I thought about electric, but I hate car payments. So instead I just walk around town or ride my electic scooter to eliminate 80 percent of my driving. I paid my scooter off mostly because my teenager kept stealing it to go places. I figured I needed 80 in town trips to justify it and accomplished that. My truck has only 2000 on it since July and 700 km was to see my sister down south. I haven't factored in food to my calculations, but I've had to supersize my fries a few times to compensate and I like to keep the dad-bod around for cheep insulation come winter time. Saves on ugly Christmas sweaters.
Old 10-30-2022, 01:25 PM

also please factor,in,the EV EXTRA COST OF FINANCING OVER 5 YEARS

it alone eats into any POTENTIAL savings
Old 10-30-2022, 05:54 PM

The 2022 Rav4 XLE non-hybrid starts at $34690. The hybrid in the same model starts at $36350. Only a $1660 difference. This would be a no-brainer for me. For as long as I keep my Toyotas, I would recoup the difference in price over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Now, in 2014 I bought a Corolla. I had to at least look at the Prius (jokes are welcome here). It was roughly $7000 more. A lot different then the Rav4 example. I was not gonna do that.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:08 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
The 2022 Rav4 XLE non-hybrid starts at $34690. The hybrid in the same model starts at $36350. Only a $1660 difference. This would be a no-brainer for me. For as long as I keep my Toyotas, I would recoup the difference in price over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Now, in 2014 I bought a Corolla. I had to at least look at the Prius (jokes are welcome here). It was roughly $7000 more. A lot different then the Rav4 example. I was not gonna do that.
I think you are looking in the US... In Canada right on the Toyota.ca website it says $46090.00, but you will not get it for that price right now without pictures of the sales manager doing something highly illegal or embarrassing to hold over his head.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehi...prime/overview

You can also get a base Rav4 N/A gasser starting for $28990.00 but in FWD not AWD. Base AWD (LE model) starts from $31,090.00.

Edit - I see the Hybrid you are talking about. I was referring to the prime which plugs in to charge and runs on electricity only for a small period of time before going to gas. The normal Hybrid does not do that. It is just electric assist.

I think the cost you will actually pay probably has to do with the crazy wait list time in Canada.

https://www.torquenews.com/17612/wha...ll-no-progress
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by tirebob; 10-30-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:47 PM

What I understand is that these hybrids are electric vehicle but to make them work in Canada, they need a small ICE motor to compensate.
The ICE motor will run to charge and warm the battery/cabin in cold conditions or long trips.
Make sense so you can keep the battery smaller.
Pretty much getting two smaller engines that work on 50% demand.
Sounds pretty smart if you get the right balance.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
What I understand is that these hybrids are electric vehicle but to make them work in Canada, they need a small ICE motor to compensate.
The ICE motor will run to charge and warm the battery/cabin in cold conditions or long trips.
Make sense so you can keep the battery smaller.
Pretty much getting two smaller engines that work on 50% demand.
Sounds pretty smart if you get the right balance.
It’s gonna happen.
Think of advancements since you were born.
Lotta mind blowing things going on. Can’t stop progression.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:42 AM
Banned

Default What’s it going to be like when it’s -35C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Hybrid vehicles, love ‘em or hate ‘em? My wife is thinking of getting a Toyota Rave 4 hybrid. I know they might be good in warmer climate like say, L.A. or Houston, but what about up here in the frozen north? What’s it going to be like when it’s -35C? Anybody have one, a d what do you think? Thanks.

Definitely less charging more gas.