Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Default How much do you think your tackle box is worth?

I estimate that all my tackle, including the box is worth $ 1000 to $1500. That's not including rods and other gear. Just hooks, swivels, weights, and other stuff, and box.
When you consider your small tungsten ice fishing hooks cost $3.00 or more per hook, on sale and all spoons and plugs, WOW ! It all adds up quick.

I suggest you take pictures of yours incase it is ever stolen, for insurance purposes. You never know, could be stolen from your locked truck or even locked garage.

Good idea to take pictures of everything in your house and garage, everything for insurance purposes.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:59 AM

Oooo thats a hard one. If it was all retail value id have to say close to what you said. But i more or less dont buy anything full price anymore once you have enough stock. I have 6-7 tackle boxes, this is reffering to more or less the most expensive pike one. Other ones are less.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Which tackle box? Lol, I have a couple tackle boxes of straight plugs, mostly rapalas of varying sizes. I’d guess they would avg about 10 bucks a plug. Scared to count. Lol. Ya it’s crazy what we accumulate over the years. My ex wife had a closet with over 50 pairs of shoes in which she only wore 4 or 5 pairs. Not once did I mention her shoe fetish... lol. I figured her at a shoe store was the same thing as me at a tackle store. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Probably 2-3k if I had to guess(I don't want to know the exact number lol). Easily over 1k in rapalas plus lots more gear. Flies, spoons, walleye tackle, sturgeon tackle, some salmon and bottom fish tackle, some Florida tackle, ice fishing tackle. It all adds up quick.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:37 AM

Now you have really given me something to think on. I have one box just for Rapala, over 100 at last count. One box for Minnewonka all non leaded, one for bottom bouncing, one for trout trolling, one for pike YIKES I am going to start with the picture taking today. OMG I almost for got about rods and reels.

Thanks for this post.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned

Default Sale or retail?

I can't count that high. One bag measures 30"x15"x15" and contains 17 full trays, two pouches of swim baits and the tools. Probably $200.00 in lead/titanium weights alone. Total weight, 30 lbs. A plastic tote holds all my crawler/leech harnesses- 200 count- that will in all likelihood be gone by October, but they are hand tied so cost me nothing after it's all said and done.

All the trolling gear lives in the boat (divers, planer boards, flashers) and is years old mostly. It's the string that costs so much for way too many reels.

And my lunch bag...

Free (not)
Old 04-21-2018, 10:38 AM

A lot is all I can say. I took pictures of all my tackle, rods and reels just for insurance reasons and will be updating the pictures this spring as the collection is always growing.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:47 AM

Which tackle box? Lol. Crazy when you start doing the math. 50 len thompsons = $200 at least.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Highest order grand poobah tackle junkie.

or

Not going there.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:23 AM

Funny topic. I look at what I have and just shake my head.

Yesterday’s typical trip to Bass Pro. They had a shirt I wanted ( $34.99 ), went in and found it in 2 minutes. Hmmm, might as well swing through the fishing section totally knowing I need “nothing”!

At the till it ended up being $185.00 smackarus. The spending never ends

Dodger.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:13 PM

I downsized my tackle box to a meager 750.00 worth of terminal tackle and when it got stolen from my truck my insurance company wouldn't cover it because I had no proof of value. The police weren't even interested in knowing the contents because the tackle was too generic to be identified. Not sure a picture would have helped the situation.
Might be wise to have box at home to keep all the receipts from the purchased tackle for insurance purposes. (Should be able to use the receipts to claim tackle on the tax return as a mental health expense.) And engrave all your lures.

Tackle is an investment in your most pleasurable days. If your tackle gets stolen you do feel violated. As if a friend has disappeared.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-21-2018, 06:04 PM
Banned

Easily $3000 in tackle. Hell I think I have $750 in perch jugs alone. Over 300 spoons, 150 raps, 500+ walleye jigs and plastics, ahhhh i have to stop before my wife reads this.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:10 PM

The amount I've spent in fly tying is in the 2-3k range... All my baits probably add up to be maybe $750...
Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 PM

What ever u do don’t say anything to your wife how much those tackle boxes r worth. Lol
Old 04-21-2018, 08:54 PM

I have pictures of everything for insurance, thought I had a lot of value when I was prairie and ice fishing, but now that I have switched to salt water I don't even want to think of how much it is. I spent $150-250 on 5 occasions when Wholesale sports was closing, and that was when it was 30-40% off. If I add that to what I already have it would be more than I paid for my first ski boat.
I may have gone just a little overboard when I was gearing up for Rupert

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-21-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned

I'm not sure but I'd say just my perch tackle box would top $1k, my walleye boxes have to be worth double that, then there's the laker/pike tackle boxes which would be around the $1k mark and then my West Coast tackle around $500. Add a few Stella reels and some GLoomis rods and I think about the boat I could be driving!

Another thing I noticed, I'm not sure how well chartreuse works on fish but it sure seems to get me evey time!
Old 04-21-2018, 10:54 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Way too much....got a bad habit....addiction to shinny stuff....hmmmm wonder if this would work.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-22-2018, 07:58 AM

let's just say if you had the retail value of all my fishing tackle,, you could buy a heck of a nice new Lund Alaskan in probably the 20 foot range,, including outboard..

i just figured it out,, and I've got right around $2500 in just rapala tail dancer 11s alone. Granted those are some of the more expensive crank baits I own,, but there is minimum of 150 of them,and probably closer to 200.. I don't go into the stores and just buy 6 new lures,, I go in and buy 6 of the same lure, in the same size, and same colour pattern.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:47 AM

When my garage burnt down a few years ago, insurance gave me $1000 per large tackle box to replace the ones that were destroyed.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Default How much do you think your tackle box is worth?

I chose not to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 05:25 PM

Mine is through the roof because I like to do every kind of fishing - ice fishing, spinning rod, west coast - mooching and bottom fishing, and fly fishing - fresh and salt water.

I think flies alone ..guessing around $2K. Spinning $2K. Ocean $1K. Ice fishing only $500. That is just the tackle only. I'm not including fly tying materials, down riggers, etc, etc. Just tackle and fly boxes.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:04 PM

Wow between the small one, the medium size or the 5 drawer trunk a couple plus $k for sure. Then there's the bag and the vest for the trout hunting. If my wife new how much...... she might want more diamonds. I would be willing to part with at least one 5 of diamonds .
Old 04-22-2018, 06:10 PM

Wow between the small one, the medium size or the 5 drawer trunk a couple plus $k for sure. Then there's the bag and the vest for the trout hunting. If my wife new how much...... she might want more diamonds. I would be willing to part with at least one 5 of diamonds .
Old 04-22-2018, 06:13 PM

for the double post
Old 04-22-2018, 06:18 PM

I don't really want to know, cause then the wife might find out. Haha. But if you drop you wifes China Cabinet while moving I find they double as a great tackle storage cabinet!

tackle gear by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-22-2018, 07:17 PM

I don't even want to think about it ....

Even if you just looked at my Laker/Salmon/Rainbow trolling gear, it's probably a few thousand alone.

Dozens of dipsys, jets, flashers, fenders, snubbers, releases, stackers, terminal tackle ......... never mind the lures themselves. I have 2 bigger tackle bags that are my trolling bags and a milk crate of trays to hold more spoons and lures.

Then add in all the other species, and all the bags and crates, and it gets pretty sobering.

Then a turning point in my tackle junkie life ....

2 years ago - a friend was over and I was giving him some spare hummingbird cables I had purchased and didn't end up using that were still in the bag "somewhere" on my garage shelf.

Searching through white bag after white bag of brand new unopened unused tackle, putting stuff into a milk crate and by the time we found them, I had a full milk crate at my feet of small bags of terminal tackle, lures and other stuff "still in the package". Each one of those bags probably had $40-$100 worth of stuff in it.

Looked at the shelf and there was still at least that many more little white bags on the shelf remaining there.

Although we joked about it, it was a sobering moment for me ..... I always laughed at the lady collecting shoes, and there I was, staring a few thousands of dollars of stuff in those bags and the other "used once" tackle trays on my garage shelf.

When I final;y sorted it all - I had a shoe sized box overflowing of brand new treble and single hooks, most of them Gamy's, Owners or other expensive hooks.

I was embarrassed.

I sent him home with 2 tackle bags and a bunch of brand new stuff and kept giving stuff away to others ever since ..........

Also gave away over 40 rods and reels over the last 2 years.

I'm probably down to 20-25 rods and and say, 40-50 tackle trays - which is still too much.

I Probably gave away TWICE that.

It was my vice.

I'd go into the Fishin' hole to buy down rigger plastic stops for $5/pack and walk out with $100-$150 worth of stuff - every single time.

I think I'm mostly better now ...... and have resisted being so wasteful ..... but at least all my friends are happy with all their new gear !!!!
Old 04-22-2018, 07:53 PM

That is one of the good things about fishing out of a kayak. You can only take a limited amount of gear with you so a guy only takes what he thinks there is a chance of using. When I buy new lures I look through my boxes to see what I can take out to make room for them and I usually end up giving them away.

Most guys with tons of gear are probably much like myself in that they still stick to a handful of lures most days out fishing. It is nice to have the extra options but they are not much use if all they do is sit in your tackle box.

I like to think of my collection as extensive but modest. I don't have spares for every lure but I can catch just about anything that swims. Here is a picture I took a while back giving an idea. Disgusting that such a small pile of tackle costs so much lol.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
That is one of the good things about fishing out of a kayak. You can only take a limited amount of gear with you so a guy only takes what he thinks there is a chance of using. When I buy new lures I look through my boxes to see what I can take out to make room for them and I usually end up giving them away.

Most guys with tons of gear are probably much like myself in that they still stick to a handful of lures most days out fishing. It is nice to have the extra options but they are not much use if all they do is sit in your tackle box.

I like to think of my collection as extensive but modest. I don't have spares for every lure but I can catch just about anything that swims. Here is a picture I took a while back giving an idea. Disgusting that such a small pile of tackle costs so much lol.

Yup, isn't that the truth. My wife uses that one on me all the time. "How many hooks do you even use?" It's more of a collection thing than practical use. You're right about the favorites though.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 AM

Default Tackle

Between freshwater, and saltwater (from Marlin and Tuna in th south, to Salmon and Hali in the North) probably pushing 10k+... and half again as much in roads and reels... And Yes my wife knows...
Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
A lot is all I can say. I took pictures of all my tackle, rods and reels just for insurance reasons and will be updating the pictures this spring as the collection is always growing.
JohninAB....This is the best advice that anyone can pass on to others....

I was a victim of a B&E 2 years ago (and it still bothers me) and $18K of gear was stolen.

Thank god that I fish with some real shutter bugs because if it weren't for them, I would have a heck of a time describing my equipment.
I was able to produce those pictures and they were accepted by my insurance company....

Now, I have a full memory stick designated for hunting and fishing equipment with replacement figures included.

This process takes a lot of time; good to do on a crappy day.

Insurance companies are in business to make money for their shareholders not pay it out.

Unless you do an inventory, you will be blown away at how much gear you own and its value......It is worth doing an inventory...One small box can quickly add up to $1,500.

DON'T PUT IT OFF

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.