Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
if you dont have a membership to costco but want to shop.. i can meet you there late afternoon, i need to get 5 flats of water anyways. lol And grapes!!

Hunting all morning though
Costco is no different than any other store. Deals to be had there, but some of the stuff is damned expensive and their sizes awkward to deal with unless you run a restaurant. Year's supply of jam in one jar.

Grizz
Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 AM

Local farmers markets 80% and the rest Safeway, Co-op, Costco, etc.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 AM

We used to go to No Frills , but now we moved it is either Walmart or Superstore. No frills always had the best deals.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpacc View Post
Local farmers markets 80% and the rest Safeway, Co-op, Costco, etc.
You mentioned the Farmer's market. At one time there were some good deals there, but lately stuff is way overpriced, but I did have a Hutterite give me a huge cabbage for free. I made cabbage rolls and they were great. I'll be dropping off a jar of my cherry liquer for him when it's ready.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Just to comment further on Safeway, if you shop sales and reduced items it is quite easy to save 30-40% off their regular prices. This brings them down in line with some of the cheap stores but you get their better quality products. Nice thing too is that they mix up their sales each week so can almost always find something, I love it when the ribs go on sale!

Mind you I only ever shop for myself so if you were trying to find enough for a big family that might not be feasible and you might end up paying more to get enough food and variety.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Default Groceries

Costco for cleaning supplies
Ideal meats for good meat
Fresh produce at night when stocking shelves
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Where ever is closest when the urge hits to shop. Usually Safeway though. I do not get too excited over prices as not worth my time to drive around to save $10. Safeway has the selection I want and being very cautious now in what I buy, starting to learn (outside isles) where the healthier stuff is.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Where ever is closest when the urge hits to shop. Usually Safeway though. I do not get too excited over prices as not worth my time to drive around to save $10. Safeway has the selection I want and being very cautious now in what I buy, starting to learn (outside isles) where the healthier stuff is.
X2 and for the "health" side of things it's always best to stick to the outside aisles of the store. Everything you need! Safeway is convenient for me too. And if done right savings can be had.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 AM

We only have a Sobeys and Safeway in town. I treat Safeway the same way I do Canadian tire, only buy when items are at least 30% off.

When I'm in Calgary it's Costco and T&T. There's also an awesome T&T in WEM for those of you in the Edmonton area. If you haven't checked out T&T yet, it's worth the trip. It's a very large asian grocery store and the variety and prices on things like juice, seafood, sauces, produce and cooking oils are markedly better than other grocery stores. You can't find Canola oil cheaper anywhere. Plus you can get beef, pork and lamb cut and prepped for Sukiyaki and shabu shabu!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
You mentioned the Farmer's market. At one time there were some good deals there, but lately stuff is way overpriced, but I did have a Hutterite give me a huge cabbage for free. I made cabbage rolls and they were great. I'll be dropping off a jar of my cherry liquer for him when it's ready.
Farmer's markets are generally overpriced for sure, no argument here. It's not always a price point thing for me and my wife. Just sayin'...
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Costco is no different than any other store. Deals to be had there, but some of the stuff is damned expensive and their sizes awkward to deal with unless you run a restaurant. Year's supply of jam in one jar.

Grizz
Many deals to be had... and when the household had five mouths to feed... the larger sizes for less get used quickly.

Costco's grapes are the best Ive ever had, and so are the blueberries. Egg prices are great. The whole pork loins are fantastic and we cut them up to our portion sizes once home and air seal them in so many pc per meal.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:51 PM

H&W for produce, also some at farmers markets or nurseries or the Italian Centre. I do not care for produce at Wal-Mart.

Everything else: Safeway the most, then as I am near or sales are awesome: Italian Centre, Superstore, Save-On, No Frills, Planet Organic, Wal-Mart, Target.
I also go to the Wholeslae Club (Superstore version) for several things, especially if I'm after flats (restaurant size) of mushrooms or some veggie, etc.

Why so many places? Some things can only be had at one place and not another. I drive alot for work anyway, so I'm not spending any extra on fuel; I go to what I'm near at the time. I check flyers and will go for certain things because they're super cheap or I'm getting a large amount of extra airmiles.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 PM

Oh, and Bulk Barn. Love BB. Not always the cheapest, but neat stuff.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Doesn't anyone here but me eat wild meat?
I never buy beef, rarely buy pork.
I bought my last hog from crownb and skinned and gutted myself.

I buy chickens from the hughenden colony.

Sometimes supplement with chicken wings or something for the kids.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Oh yeah, I do get Hutterite chickens at Smokin Iron Farms. They also have interesting stuff like python, allegator, etc.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 PM

i am amazed only one person has mentioned The Italian Center Shop. Known for their food quality and service. Very reasonable veggies and cheese prices. Their deli meats are well known. . Alot of the produce is local. 3 locations in Edmonton.

http://italiancentre.ca/

Last edited by Red Bullets; 09-09-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post

I eat wild meat. My favorite. I take one or two deer every season and a few grouse. By myself I go through a deer in about 3-4 months. I make my own jerky, salami and sausage. I enjoy some of the fish I catch too. I also forage for mushrooms, berries and hazelnuts and freeze them for winter.

I still buy the odd beef steak or pork ribs.

I don't understand why people don't eat as much wild food but am glad, or else everyone would have the wild pantry emptied pretty quick.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 PM

I don't shop for groceries but the better half goes to no frills
Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
careful about the "deli" meats..very high sodium levels..just lookin' out for you and your cardiologist will agree
Cured and smoked meats are linked to colon cancer...
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 AM

Costco usually has good produce, I love the sweet corn they have there.

Been doing the new Sobey's lately, not sure the neighborhood but right next to spruce meadows. Very good meat and bakery stuff.

Normally do Co-op or Safeway, but not as much anymore. Sometimes their stuff is good sometimes not.

Only reason I've gone into Walmart lately is on the hunt for cherry pepsi. Jeans and a Tshirt and I always feel overdressed.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Default Out of the norm?

I always feel out of the norm with this but. All my groceries come from the farmers market and "organic" grocery stores, meat is all from a local ranch that is all grass-fed, hormone free, blah blah blah..

Might be a little more expensive.. but I haven't noticed any huge increase in my grocery bill from shopping anywhere else..

Even if there was - I figure I spend a lot of money on getting the best of everything that is important to me (hunting gear, camping, motorbikes, all that fun stuff).. and what is more important than my health?

to each there own though.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM

I usually hit No Frills or SuperStore (affiliated stores), or Walmart (if I have to pick up other stuff as well) for the bulk of my shopping as their prices are best. Then I fill in the gaps for harder-to-find foods at Sobey's or Safeway, but those places are almost always significantly more expensive. Safway is the worst for price, and at least our Sobeys is owned by a fellow who puts back into the community, so I'll go there before Safeway.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM

I agree with Superstore and Walmart having the best prices. I like the meats at Superstore vs. Walmart. I'm looking for a good place to get some Italian sausage here in Edmonton, anyone have any good spots? I just saw a link to the Italian center above I'll have to check that out.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 PM

Superstore or Walmart for the majority of our shopping. Best prices. However, baked goods or deli products it has to be Safeway or Coop. Superstore buns taste like they come from a package and their cakes are gross.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post

Sometimes supplement with chicken wings or something for the kids.
I`m the same,can`t stand beef.Mostly it`s elk,deer, pork and chicken.I get the pork and monster chickens from the Hutterites too.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM

I like Superstore the best, and for me it is the most convenient. I have the Superstore within walking distance, Co-Op is a 5 min drive, Safeway is a 10 min drive. There is an M&M meats over by Safeway, never really checked it out, 2 or 3 Halal meat shops in the area, never looked in them yet.
I usually buy rib or T-bones, when they are under 15.00/kg, they are down to 11.00 occasionally. Pork tenderloins, chicken breasts, deli meats are usually reasonable prices. I like their bakery, go in the AM and get warm bread.
I only go to Co-Op and Safeway for the odd thing I can't get at Superstore.
I still stop at Sunterra on Elbow for stuff I can't get anywhere else occasionally, if I'm over that way. Like spicy sauces, etc.
I can't handle shopping in Wally World. Costco membership is not worthwhile for me.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 PM

GP Farmers market has great produce but sometimes very expensive.

If I want premium meat, I go to Blackman's Butcher shop - it doesn't get any better...

Save On Foods has good quality produce and reasonable pricing and the first Tuesday of every month is 15% off everything at least at the Grande Prairie location. Their ethnic, organic, and specialty selection is not bad and they have great bulk aisles. I do most of my grocery shopping here.

Superstore has a good Asian and seafood section, but I find the quality of their other products mediocre or poor.

Safeway never seems to have everything I need and high prices to boot. But some of their Airmiles promotions and fuel discounts are nice.

I have a free Costco membership since my brother works for them, but rarely go since my wife and I can't go through the quantity fast enough. Some things are a really good deal there though like the bales of blue shop towels, and food saver rolls.