Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Default Wasps

Hey all. Looking for advice on getting rid of wasps. We have wasps that have built a nest underground right next to the foundation of my house. We have tried everything we can think of to get rid of them. Sprayed a bunch of RAID wasp foam down the hole until it started coming up out of the hole, next morning they were flying around like nothing happened. Next night we sprayed the "Great Stuff" insulating foam down the hole, thinking this would suffocate them. They just dug around the stuff and now there is anew hole. Two nights ago we poured an entire bottle of bleach down the hole. Nothing. Last night we turned the garden hose on, shoved it down the hole and let it run full blast for about a half hour. This morning, again, flying around like nothing happened.

It's hard to tell exactly where the nest is underground and im assuming that is why we are having issues killing them. People have suggested pouring gas down and lighting a match, but being right against my house i really do not want to go that route. Any suggestions? Or do i just have to wait until winter and they just freeze to death? Once winter does hit and they are hopefully all frozen...i want to try to dig it all up and get rid of the nest that is down there.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 PM

As odd as this will sound, we used our shop vac. Just turned it on and left it in a position that would suck them up as they came in and out. Took a few days but worked well. We would shoot a squirt of Raid into the hose on the shopvac every so often to kill them in the bag as they don't get killed by getting sucked in.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post
As odd as this will sound, we used our shop vac. Just turned it on and left it in a position that would suck them up as they came in and out. Took a few days but worked well. We would shoot a squirt of Raid into the hose on the shopvac every so often to kill them in the bag as they don't get killed by getting sucked in.
Take the bag off and put an inch of soapy water in the shop vac, works like a charm. Used it many times, kick back with a beer and enjoy the show.

Pour them out when the job is done.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Sounds like this could work. BUT how do i kill the nest... if i get the ones that fly out,there is still a nest underground producing more wasps... need to kill the queen. Mind you i know nothing about wasps.. maybe they dont actually have the babies underground, i really have no idea.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Banned

Wait 4 more weeks,winter is on the way.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:35 PM

RAID in one hand, tennis racket in the other, then go to war.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

Never looked for the queen after using the shop vac, don't know if they would try to vacate her and she gets sucked in... Used this method a dozen times, once the nest is drowned in water in the vaccuum and the hole sealed, problem was gone.

If you're going to try the shop vac, find a 500 ml pop bottle - cut the top off at the shoulder making a funnel. The threaded end should fit in the nozzle of the shop vac hose, tape it to seal it. Much more efficient, faster catch rate. Pretty funny watching them attack the funnel then fight against the suction. Place it at nighttime "quietly" when the wasps are nested, place it properly and they shouldn't be able to get around it easily.

Get them first thing in the morning when the are starting to emerge, if it's a large nest, you'll be amazed at how many emerge when you turn on the vaccuum.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:50 PM

i used http://www.doktordoom.com/PRODUCTS/residual.htm doktordoom from peavy mart on a nest last night and this morning they were all dead at the entrance, sprayed it again for good measure but it knocked the nest down and out, it was in a tomato planter by the garage.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Place a pan with a layer of oil and water near the nest. They'll fly into the shiny liquid and die pretty much instantly. You should be able to get most of them this way.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 PM

I once used two cans of starting fluid to kill them. As soon as they hit the cloud they drop. It was only on a small nest though. Had myself covered good with a one piece snowmobile suit & didn't get stung. Good thing I had an exta can though. You might want to try to spray it down the hole. Was a long time ago but it instantly drops them. Don't injest it though. Bad stuff.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:42 PM

Default wasps

dig down into hole to expose it ( run like h%&ll from the attack wave) when it calms down soak ground liberally in gas ( don't lite it) the gas and fumes will get rid of them. Have done this several times with underground nests, works great
Old 09-07-2013, 05:23 PM

If you need to get rid of it call an exterminator.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM

Used Wilson wasp foam from Home Depot, spray around the entrance to keep them from getting out then stick the straw in thru the foam and blast the nest. Got 2 large nests done this year, worked good. Do this at dusk when they are a little slow to move. Used spray foam insulation to fill the holes and no more wasps.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:48 PM

During the evening, all wasps will head to the nest for the night. In the late afternoon and again after supper, spray the entrance/exit hole with wasp poison. As they go into the hole, each wasp will rub against the poison you sprayed and carry a little bit into the nest. After the second day , you will notice less and less wasps. If you can't spray poison directly into the nest at night, let them take it there for you. Keep on spraying that hole in the late afternoon for several more days until the nest is dead.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Banned

I used Raid Max foaming wasp killer on the nest I had below my balcony.The nest itself was inside my foundation and it was established via a little hole
in the wood of my balcony.I hit it with the foam spray just before 6 AM on my way out the door.I stuck the nozzle into the hole and gave it a good long blast till it was over flowing out the hole.Did the same thing a couple days
later for peace of mind as there were still a few buzzing around though on the 2nd attack I got the nozzle all the way in and went hell bent for leather.
I have not seen a single one since.

FTH
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 AM

if nothing will catch on fire; then take a tiger torch and point it down the hole for 20 min. I've used this method many time and it works great. The heat dries them up
Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 AM

Ive had a few nests and i just wait till evening or morning for it to be cool, grab a beer and hose it(the hive) with the garden hose. Be ready to run if you gotta but if its cool and you hit em with the cold water they're pretty docile.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
People have suggested pouring gas down and lighting a match,
I vote for this one! Post pics!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 AM

get some anhydrous ammonia and spray it down the hole, you will freeze them out.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM

Dont they make gas bug bombs that you can shove down the hole and cover and kill them all? Might be worth looking into.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
During the evening, all wasps will head to the nest for the night. In the late afternoon and again after supper, spray the entrance/exit hole with wasp poison. As they go into the hole, each wasp will rub against the poison you sprayed and carry a little bit into the nest. After the second day , you will notice less and less wasps. If you can't spray poison directly into the nest at night, let them take it there for you. Keep on spraying that hole in the late afternoon for several more days until the nest is dead.
This works-have used it myself.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Billy the Exterminator is all you need
Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
Billy the Exterminator is all you need
A person needs to be half insane to be an exterminator in the US. We have nothing to complain about with our wasps, they pale in comparison.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
A person needs to be half insane to be an exterminator in the US. We have nothing to complain about with our wasps, they pale in comparison.
true, i just loved the fact his brother was allergic to bees and the size of the fn wasps and hornets they would go after lmao
Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Had bees going in a crack between the driveway and garage. Sprayed a bunch of 3 MM Super 77 Glue in the crack.
Looked kind of funny with the bees glued real good when they came out. They are all gone to bee heaven!
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM

Default Wd-40

WD-40 they cant stand it .just spray the crap out of the area its will kill some and the rest will be gone by the next day works better than any raid crap
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM

shopvac, works great