Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 AM

Default Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac vs. Wrangler Silent Armor

The stock tires are bald and its time for new ones. I have narrowed it down to the duratracs or the silent armors. I was just looking for opinions on which I should choose. I will be doing a majority of highway driving but I want to be able to go offroad if necessary. So any opinions and input are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Blair
Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM

I put Silent Armors on my Dakota last year & am very happy with them. Great winter tire & also quiet on the highway.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 AM

10 years ago I swore I'd never use Goodyear again, then about a year ago when I needed tires the tire shop sold me on the praises of the Silent Armour Pro , so I decided to try them. JUNK...JUNK...JUNK ! All the same problems I had with the wranglers years ago. Only got 50k out of the treads, Had more flats than I can remember, on one they actually found the peice of gravel in the tire that went through the lug. and as usual the flat couldn't be repaired because the sidewalls instanlty self destruct before you can stop. Two of my friends had them as well and said Never Again.

Alot of better brands to choose from, BF, Hankook, Toyo... etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Default Silent Armor

Hey Blairh,

I actually just put brand new Silent Armors on my truck this past Friday. I have about 200kms on them so take what I have to say for what it is worth. Fountain Tire has them on sale (4 for 3) sale right now. I have been to various retailers and talked to various sales guys about different models including both the tires you are asking about and when it was said I went for the Silent Armors. Two of the guys actually had them on their truck and allowed me to look at them and see the Black wall out or white wall out. They said they have phenominal ratings (I confirmed that online through reviews) and I said I would be using them for hunting, 4x4 and a lot of hwy and street driving. The guys said you can't go wrong with the Silent Armor. Over the last 200Km I have had them on I have tested them a little bit and they have been really good! Compared to what I have used in the past these are much better and I am very happy with them. They also look awesome on the truck which is always a bonus.

I have always heard good things about the BF All-Terrain T/A and Michellin LTX M/S. Regardless what you buy people are going to have problems with them or really like them. It is all based on your personal preferrence.

Morb

Last edited by Morbius131; 10-06-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Silent armors are a great tire. we use them on our fleet and get good mileage out of them. They are solid and carry a good load and are good in wet and snow/ice conditions. The larger the tire the more the tread spacing, so the bigger they are the more aggressive they become.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Yup them Silent Armors are good. Had them on 3 trucks now. Ya get free rotation at Fountain too. Recommend this for a longer life tire.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Silent Armour's are the fastest wearing tire I've ever owned.

I'm back to using Michelin's, and happy with the decision.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM

I love Goodyear Silent Armour tires...I have been running then for awhile and never an issue and I am getting around 100,000km's out of them.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM

What, no comments on the DuraTrac?
I am also interested in the original posters question as I have narrowed my search too the two very same tires?
Has anyone got any input for the Dura Trac's??
Old 10-06-2009, 05:53 PM

I looked at the Duratracs today and the Silent Armor. In my eyes it looks as if the Silent Armours are a bit too tight of tread for much off-road stuff. In the other side, it looks like the Duratracs are a bit big for my needs and not as good on the highway.

I'm trying to find the best of both worlds....so far the BF Goodrich and the Coooper ST's are leading the pack IMO....
Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 PM

i put the dura trac on my 3/4 ton and am very happy. i needed lots off off road protection as i could write a book about my trip to bear lake and tires. i pull a 30 ft holiday trailer-mostly hwy. I love the tires, not to noisy, smooth enough ride and great traction on rock, off road, and wet.

downside-a little "drift" at anything over 120 but shouldn't be pulling the trailer that fast anyway. without the trailer-no drift.

i would buy them again for sure-haven't had them on snow or ice yet.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 PM

Have the silent armour on a couple of trucks and never again. Wear down way to fast if you drive much gravel and way to tight of treads for much mud and snow. Nice on ice when new but usually a good ice tire is useless in mud and snow. Have the duratracs on a couple of other trucks and have less problems and way better traction. Nothing peeves me more than having a hard time getting somewhere's because of crappy tires. My motto is the louder they hum the better the tire. The duratracs are actually quite quiet. We average 60-100 thousand km's /year /truck. We run 7-8 trucks. (oil & gas operating).
Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
Silent Armour's are the fastest wearing tire I've ever owned.

I'm back to using Michelin's, and happy with the decision.
I agree i put them on my 07 GMC last fall and they never made a year. 40,000 km and two were seperated. I drive a lot of gravel and best I have found are toyo m-55. Pricey but much better tires.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM

I put Silent Armour's on my Durango. They are very quiet compared to the SR-A or the BFG T/A. The ice rating is very good and they look like they will clean good in the mud and snow. I'll put them to the test this week in the mud and snow. I bought them at the dealer for less than Fountain Tire or CT.

Cheers,

RT
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 PM

I've been happy with the Silent Armors on my Dodge 2500. They have worn faster than I'd like, but I haven't been to good about rotating. Plus my truck is heavier than some and pulling a 6000-7000 pound trailer 95% of the time. I also tend to have my foot into 'it' pretty good...

Decent off road. Not the best but decent. Kinda like the old Dodge.

I would buy another set. Better tire than the BFGs and Bridgestones I've owned IMO.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Silent Armour

I bought a set of Goodyear Silent Armour and it will be the last time. They were sold to me based on the fact the have great traction in the mud. There is no difference that I found between the all seasons and the Armours. Snow traction is great I admit but the ice traction can only be described as scary!

I have a jeep wrangler 4 door and punish that rig regularly in the bush, the Armour's on it have made no difference. I would never recommend them. Quiet? WHo cares! Turn up the music... 50K on them and have about 20% remaining...
Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM

I wouldn't put a Goodyear tire on my wheelbarrow. Worked in a tire shop for a couple of years and saw more Goodyear tires come in seperated than any other tire.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Default Duratrac

Put Duratrac's on my 09 dodge early this summer very quite to my surprise and they seem to be wearing well. Just my two cents.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:29 PM

I have silent armours on the wifes Durango and they have been a great tire. She doesnt go off roading but they werent bought for that purpose.

I seen Cooters truck with the dura tracs on it and they look good, just dont drive behind him you cant see thru all the diesel smoke.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Well gatorr like my quote says if your not the lead dog the view all the same anyway im sure thats not my smoke im sure its your's. R does not stand for RACE!

Last edited by The cooter; 10-08-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Default S A;s

I don't do any off roading, but a lot of hiway and some towing,the silent a's have been good on my F150 .The only real reason I went with them was the buy 3 get 4 deal. Mine are 18 inch and them tires can be on the expensive side.
FS
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 PM

Well I called Fountain Tire today and found out the Dura Tracs are not part of the three for four sale but i am still leaning towards them over the silent armour's.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Ya, I will be going home this weekend and looking. I am also leaning towards the duratracs so I have the off road capability.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Default Duratrac review

I put a set of 285 duratracs on my 3/4 ton about a month ago, I have just over 2000km on them and have used them for a mix of hiway gravel and offroad including 6" of slick snow and mud last weekend coming out of the bush. I bought them because of the siping, e load rating and the decent void space which should make them ok in the mud. Tires like the michelin at's, bfg at's, and the stock offerings have left me disappointed with their offroad and mud traction in the past and durability and wear have not been great either, I have been very happy with two sets of swamper Trxus Mt's I have run in the past with the exception of poor treadlife (never over 50,000km) and thought I would try something else. Silent armours were not on my list to consider, tires I was considering were the Trxus, Mickey T Mud Terrains and the similar Dick Cepeck offering.

The Duratracs seem to be relatively quiet on the highway but are a little squirmy probably due to the deep tread and the tall sidewall on the 285's. On gravel they are fine but expect them to throw more rocks than some due to the big void space, this can be a downer if you are hauling a trailer that you don't want to get full of rocks on gravel. Offroad they have good directional control and the knobby sidewalls seem to help them bite quite abit to get out of ruts. They seem to clog up on the center of the tread a bit but do shed the junk out of the outer lugs to give some bite in the mud. When we left camp on Saturday my hunting partner was sure we were going to need the winch to get out some steep mud slick, snow covered hills and the duratracs made it look easy, the old stockers wouldn't have made it.

I can't comment on milage but they seem to be fairly soft and I would be happy to get 60,000km out of them. Pricing was $1220 for a set of 285/75/16's on the truck tax in.

hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the input, I ended up buying a set of the duratracs, I guess they done make the silent armors in the size I need, and the duratracs are suppost to be alot better on the ice. So far Ive put them through a couple tests and as far as im concerned they are great, at 100km they drive perfect, not much noise at all and they dont slide much at all.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:03 PM

well let us know in a couple a months how they have performed?
I am gonna try too get one more winter out of my tires but may end up
gettin them mid winter if the ones i have now just can't cut it?
Where did you get them from and what did it set you back?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 PM

I had silent armors and they were useless on muddy roads, sucked in snow, threw them away after 5000km's and went with mt-r and they were awesome
Old 10-11-2009, 12:33 AM

Default tires

i 've worked in the tire industry for ten years it depends what you plan to do more of- off road then dura trac - 50/50 or less off road slient armor
Old 10-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecknewfie View Post
i 've worked in the tire industry for ten years it depends what you plan to do more of- off road then dura trac - 50/50 or less off road slient armor
what about MT/R's
Old 10-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Mt-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd View Post
I had silent armors and they were useless on muddy roads, sucked in snow, threw them away after 5000km's and went with mt-r and they were awesome
X2