Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2023, 09:28 AM

Default Left handed bolt action 22LR

I'm looking to do some longer range and possibly competition shooting in 22LR. I checked P&D, they have a Savage Mark II GL , B22F both 21" and 2 CZ457 in American 20" and Premium 24". All in lefty.

The Mark II is $350, B22 $399, American is $835 and premium is $1135.

What would be the best bang for my buck? I would need to get some glass for it as well. I'm also interested in what upgrades can be done as well as accuracy straight out of the box.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2023, 09:37 AM

CZ 457 Varmint LH at $949 or Tikka T1x LH for $895, both from Prophet River.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:25 AM

With Savage, especially for competition shooting, you'll be very limited.
CZ or Tikka. I can't remember if Bergara makes a left hand version of the B14R. There are a good amount of upgrades and chassis/stock options for those three.
The Bergara is a Rem 700 platform and can use most of the basic Rem 700 upgrades, including triggers.

Whichever way you go, get a heavy barrel, unless you are planning on swapping barrels right away. This isn't because they are any more accurate than a thinner barrel necessarily, it's more of a weight/balance thing. Somewhere between 18-20" is what seems to be most common for the PRS guys.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:25 AM

In my experience ( i have done quite a bit of LR and ELR 22lr informal shooting) the savage is a very accurate platform that can easily compete accuracy wise with Cz and tikka( often more accurate in my experience) but they are definitely way behind in the fit/finish quality department. Cheap mags, stocks ect... they can shoot for sure but they are not anywheres close to as nice a gun. If performance on budget is the goal they are hard to beat but they are no where near as nice as some of the other options.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
With Savage, especially for competition shooting, you'll be very limited.
CZ or Tikka. I can't remember if Bergara makes a left hand version of the B14R. There are a good amount of upgrades and chassis/stock options for those three.
The Bergara is a Rem 700 platform and can use most of the basic Rem 700 upgrades, including triggers.

Whichever way you go, get a heavy barrel, unless you are planning on swapping barrels right away. This isn't because they are any more accurate than a thinner barrel necessarily, it's more of a weight/balance thing. Somewhere between 18-20" is what seems to be most common for the PRS guys.
I did just do a quick look and the Bergara is available left as well.

Of course , depending on how much you want to spend, you could step up to a Vudoo
Old 11-28-2023, 10:58 AM

Left hand rifles are hard to come by in desirable configurations. Rimfire lefties are even harder to find.

That being said, if you're looking to upgrade a rimfire stock/chassis you'll be hard-pressed to find a LH option.

I'd go CZ...

* Nordic Marksman website may have a LH Anshultz option, but prepare to pay double the CZ price. Super high quality though

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 11-28-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:04 AM

CZ 457 Varmint is the easy button if you are planning to do some PRS type shooting eventually. Lots of upgrades available for the CZ.
Top that off with an Athlon Helos 6-24 or a Bushnell Match Pro ED on a 30 moa rail.

Last edited by Buckhead; 11-28-2023 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
CZ 457 Varmint is the easy button if you are planning to do some PRS type shooting eventually. Lots of upgrades available for the CZ.
It is also the right button. Some of those CZ's are deadly accurate.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-28-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It is also the right button. Some of those CZ's are deadly accurate.
In general, the T1X has a slight edge in accuracy but far more difficult to set up for that style of shooting.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
In general, the T1X has a slight edge in accuracy but far more difficult to set up for that style of shooting.
I beg to differ.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-28-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
More difficult to set up, in which way?
Old 11-28-2023, 01:38 PM

There is a Vudoo barreled action for sale on CGN
Old 11-28-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
There is a Vudoo barreled action for sale on CGN
An excellent way to get top rimfire accuracy, but by the time you add a stock, you will be into it for over $3000.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
More difficult to set up, in which way?
It’s a very light rifle and not a heavy barrel so not ideal for that kind of shooting.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:32 PM

So are a good number of the CZ's to stay in production class, unless you get in to the Varmint and up. They still do very well.

It's very easy to add weight to balance stuff out, however a heavier barrel, as I mentioned above, does help.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
CZ 457 Varmint LH at $949 or Tikka T1x LH for $895, both from Prophet River.
Good recommendations but better pricing is available with a little Google time, like the CZ for $840 and the T1X for $788, and yes I do like dealing with PR. Don’t know if Clay will match prices.

Last edited by brewster29; 11-28-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
So are a good number of the CZ's to stay in production class, unless you get in to the Varmint and up. They still do very well.

It's very easy to add weight to balance stuff out, however a heavier barrel, as I mentioned above, does help.
The Varmint is still in production class so why not use that advantage.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:49 PM

Is it really an advantage, or a difference? A great number of guys do very well with the lightweight MkII Savage with a heavy barrel, and it's lighter than the Tikka or the CZ in stock form.

But to say that one is easier to set up over the other is just plain false. It comes down to preference and feel.
The Tikka with the longer barrel actually balances better than my Varmint, but I bought the Varmint with the plans to upgrade over time, but it felt better to me than the Tikka did. I have also handled some pretty nicely done up Tikka's that are very well balanced and comfortable. Some with stock barrels in an XRS, some done all the way with an IBI barrel and ACC chassis.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Is it really an advantage, or a difference? A great number of guys do very well with the lightweight MkII Savage with a heavy barrel, and it's lighter than the Tikka or the CZ in stock form.

But to say that one is easier to set up over the other is just plain false. It comes down to preference and feel.
The Tikka with the longer barrel actually balances better than my Varmint, but I bought the Varmint with the plans to upgrade over time, but it felt better to me than the Tikka did. I have also handled some pretty nicely done up Tikka's that are very well balanced and comfortable. Some with stock barrels in an XRS, some done all the way with an IBI barrel and ACC chassis.
Forward balance is a definite advantage. Or the savage shooters would not be using the heavy barrel.

I have set up several Tikkas. Preference and feel won't get you more hits. Proper weight and balance will.

There are far more options in barrels, triggers, chassis and almost everything for CZ's versus the T1X. Not to mention that changing the barrel on a CZ is about 100 times easier.
There are 2 versions of the CZ Varmint - one with 20.5" barrel and the other with a 16" barrel. The longer barrel absolutely will balance better than a T1X.
I have probably shot against and/or handled many of the same Tikkas that you are referring to. I have one of my own, actually, so I do know what I am talking about. There is nothing wrong with them - they are just not great.
As far as putting a custom barrel on a T1X and putting it into a chassis, there are better options out there once you are spending that kind of $money. Vudoo, RimX and Duece come to mind. I have a Vudoo, also.

Last edited by Buckhead; 11-28-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:59 PM

See, I'm the other way. I almost have a bit of buyers remorse for my CZ Varmint. I don't know that the shorter barreled version would be much better. The shorter version being the Pro Varmint in the Boyd's stock. It does shoot better than the regular Varmint in the ones I have seen.

My next is going to be a Bergara. Very simple fixes that are easily done, but in a completely different price range. Even with the chassis, it's still.cheaper than a Vudoo or Rim X. You can build up a Tikka or CZ, barrel, chassis, etc, for not a whole lot more than a barreled action Vudoo.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:50 PM

CZ's are excellent and accurate rifles for the money. So are Bergaras.
It's important to have confidence in the rifle you are shooting.
I am sure you will make the proper decision for you.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:04 PM

Went and handled the Mark II, Cz457 and Tikka. Tikka and CZ are definitely much nicer to handle. Going to go with the CZ once the finance minister approves...
Old 11-29-2023, 03:12 PM

Good choice. I have the tikka and really like it but I find the mag kind of crappy.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:16 PM

How much magnification do you guys use for competitions?
Old 12-02-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
I bought an X24 but rarely go over X18. In hindsight 16 would do. Just my opinion though, I am sure others think differently. You should have a first focal plane though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-02-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I bought an X24 but rarely go over X18. In hindsight 16 would do. Just my opinion though, I am sure others think differently. You should have a first focal plane though.
I have a 5-25 and normally capped out no more than 20, so very similar.

Most scopes will start losing clarity at the upper portion of their range. How much loss depends on the quality of the glass.

I agree with Piker, FFP. I also am a big believer in the Christmas tree style reticle, such as the Vortex target oriented scopes.
Old 12-02-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
I will be on 16X probably 95% of the time.
Starting out, one might want to dial that back to 12 - 14X for the wider field of view - makes it easier to pick up the targets.

Where the extra magnification comes into play is during zeroing and gathering your DOPE. Then I might be on 24X or even 30X, depending.

A lot of the less expensive scopes have the best clarity somewhere near the midrange of the magnification.
Old 12-05-2023, 12:23 AM

Default choices

If you are buying a rifle for target work only, what difference does it make if its right or left handed, there is no big hurry to operate the bolt....
Old 12-05-2023, 05:30 AM

Depending on the style of competition, you may only have 90-120 seconds for 8-12 shots, plus timed stages to shoot those 8-12 targets as quick as possible.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
If you are buying a rifle for target work only, what difference does it make if its right or left handed, there is no big hurry to operate the bolt....
Easy for you to say.