Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2009, 07:44 AM

Default Sharpening auger blades

I did a search and did some reading about the topic of sharpening auger blades, but I still have a couple minor questions.

First off, one of my blades has a ding in it...is it even worth trying to sharpen it/them, or are they shot after that?

Second, am I best off using just a flat sharpening stone like I'd use for a knife, or something like an Augersharp? I also have a dremel, but that might take off too much and change the shape of the blade?

I'll probably pick up a new set of blades anyway, but I don't want to scrap these ones if they're not dead yet...even if I'm just keeping them as spares.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 07:51 AM

I bought one of those carbide auger sharpeners, couldnt make it work worth crap. best off to buy new ones I think, unless you have the knack. you wont do much to the blades with a stone, they are just too hard. I keep the old ones, if you ever want to make a small knife they are perfect.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-12-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I bought one of those carbide auger sharpeners, couldnt make it work worth crap. best off to buy new ones I think, unless you have the knack. you wont do much to the blades with a stone, they are just too hard. I keep the old ones, if you ever want to make a small knife they are perfect.
And here I thought a stone would be the best way to go...glad I asked.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 08:08 AM

I use a flat file but mine is a chipper blade . I only touch the top side and its been working for me for a few years
Old 12-12-2009, 08:08 AM

WayneC is right about the baldes being very hard. Regular stone will work but it takes a long time. I sharpen mine regularly using first the medium and then the a fine Diamond stone from my Lansky knife sharpening kit. As long as you keep the front angle the same and the back flat, it is very easy to do. If the rest of the balde is sharp a small nick won't hurt anything and it will eventually disappear as you continue to sharpen the baldes.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
WayneC is right about the baldes being very hard. Regular stone will work but it takes a long time. I sharpen mine regularly using first the medium and then the a fine Diamond stone from my Lansky knife sharpening kit. As long as you keep the front angle the same and the back flat, it is very easy to do. If the rest of the balde is sharp a small nick won't hurt anything and it will eventually disappear as you continue to sharpen the baldes.
Hmm...any other suggestions on what to use besides a regular stone? I don't have a fancy sharpening kit like you, so something simple will have to suffice

And fortunately the nick in the blade doesn't look too bad

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 08:26 AM

I use a belt sander with the finest belt you can find. Sharpen very slowly so you do not heat them up. It helps to have a small container of water to dip them in as you are sharpening.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:27 AM

Default Sharpener

My FIL takes care of the blades on ours and he uses one of these. This is the rebranded version.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...BSharpener.jsp

Or the original.
http://www.speedysharpcanada.com/

It keeps our Jiffy sharp always and works good at home and on your filet knives. Keep one in my small tackle box for touching up my knife before filleting.
We ordered ours direct (several) and paid half the price of crappy tire but I have seen them there as well in there private label model.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I use a belt sander with the finest belt you can find. Sharpen very slowly so you do not heat them up. It helps to have a small container of water to dip them in as you are sharpening.

Exactly what I do.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 AM

the blades for my 8" finbore are cheap enough (about 16 bucks) to replace every year; keep one old set in a waterproof container for emergencies
cheers
Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM

You can buy the Lansky diamond sharpeners seprately, you don't need to buy the whole kit, cause you are right they are a little pricey. Also, you can buy the type below that you can carry in your pocket or tackle baox and have them with you for knives, augers or anything else. I have used the speed sharps and for the same money, prefer the one grit Lansky product.

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com

Double-Sided Folding Diamond Sharpening Paddles
Lansky Double-Sided Diamond Folding Paddles offer two full surface diamond sharpeners in one compact unit. Both double-sided models have the same folding convenience and rubber over-molded handles and are the same size as our single-side folding diamond paddles.
Stock #LDFPCF Features a coarse grit side for sharpening those abused or dull edges and a fine side to touch up or smooth an edge.
Stock #LDFPMF Features a medium grit side for everyday sharpening and a fine side to finish an edge.

Choose one:
Coarse/Fine Grit Medium/Fine Grit

QTY:

$29.99
Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Top Side Down, leave a burr

On the finbore blades, the key is to sharpen from the top side, and not on BOTH sides. You want a burr of metal when you are finished, ever so slight. It is the burr which catches the ices and pulls the auger down as you turn. On the carbide sharpeners, when you draw along the top side, this creates the burr. I have seen blades sharp enough to shave with that could only shave the ice, and not CUT it. Put a slight burr on, and away you go. Don't throw out your old blades, try this first, whether you do it on a stone, or bench grinder, just remember you only sharpen the top side. As for a dent in the blade, it won't make a difference if the blades are sharp.

If you are in Edmonton, PM me and I will show you how to do it.

Drewski
Old 12-12-2009, 03:24 PM

I can teach you how to sharpen them.

A little ding in the edge wont really hurt the cutting action to much.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-12-2009, 03:51 PM

Another thing to remember is that Blades are honed to certain degrees for precise cutting. Used a Lansky kit to sharpen my old Auger blades with the Diamond hone.
I have the Jiffy STX and last year picked up a Jiffy Blade sharpener. Unit worked well and sharpened the Blades. I also got new set and kept the old one as a spare set. When I get out, might drill a whole bunch of holes to work an area so I want the Blades at their best. After drilling, I clean off as much snow and sleet. Once it freezes on the Blades, it can inhibit the cutting performance.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I can teach you how to sharpen them.

A little ding in the edge wont really hurt the cutting action to much.

[IMG]http://img.mypicgallery.com/custknives/img-0305.jpg[/IMG
Mmmmm shiny

I picked up a new set of blades just for the heck of it. I'll work on getting the old blades sharpened up and keep them as a spare set.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Mmmmm shiny

I picked up a new set of blades just for the heck of it. I'll work on getting the old blades sharpened up and keep them as a spare set.
make sure you toss an extra set of screws or two into the tackle box too, just to be safe really hard drilling with just one blade
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Yeah, the new blades came with screws, so I should be okay...until I lose them anyway

How'd you make out today?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-12-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Yeah, the new blades came with screws, so I should be okay...until I lose them anyway

How'd you make out today?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=47541
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Tags
auger blades, sharpening