Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Default Jackfish Lake saskatchewan??

Fished here a couple times in the canal to Murray but I'm heading out there on Sunday to try and slay some pike...so does anyone know any good spots or favorite lures that I should try??
Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM

I have fished there a fair bit. I always catch something with the yellow and red 5 o diamonds or red and white len thompsons. Troll near shore you will find something to bite I'm sure. tHERE ARE A LOT OF LOCALS THAT FISH THE LAKE IF YOU KEEP AN EYE OPEN YOU'LL SEE WHERE THEY CONGRIGATE.
GOOSE
Old 08-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Thx I'll be sure to try that out!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM

I have had a cabin there for 30 years. Go to Murray and there is a large sandbar that comes quite a ways out on the east shore. Fish all around that point. It drops off really quickly on all sides. Walleye and pike use the area. Obviously early morning and evening is best. Pike usually aren't a problem. Larger pike and walleye can be tricky on either lake though. We usually troll with medium diving minnow baits. Good luck!!
Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Thx...last year I was there for the pike spawn and there were tons of pike...most of em between probably 60-70 cm so hopefully I can at least get a couple good eaters to take home
Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Have been fishing Murray since I was old enough to hold a rod so around 47 years or so. Parents have had a cabin on Murray since 1952.

The sandbar mentioned previously is a good spot and easy to find because there is a farm on the point. Or you can head east from there along the shoreline till you get to where the weeds are just under the surface of the water. Cast into the weeds with a topwater/floating lure like a Suick or big Rapala. Retrieve it so it is 6 inches or so under the water. Have seen 20 plus lbers come out of there.

Or troll along the east side of the lake and you will catch pike and maybe the odd walleye.

Or you can go straight across the lake from the aforementioned point and troll along that shoreline and catch pike and i have caught some nice walleyes there. Rapala Xraps work well. The shoreline I am talking about here is where all the big cabins are up on the hilltop and they all have stairs coming down to their boats.

If i was at home I would do up a map for you and post it on here as my verbal directions probably are as clear as mud.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 PM

From my sisters farm house you can see Jackfish lake. Shes been there for 40 years. Never did fish that lake when visting her, is it worth it
Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 PM

Thx I'll definitely be trying some of those spots
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM

just came from there my sister has a cabin at aquadeo ,we fished murray it was good fish the eastside with a big rapala, we also went to turtle lake for one day good walleye got on the water at 8am had our limit by 3pm and on our way back to my sisters cabin used yellow jig head and minnow good luck