Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-24-2015, 09:45 PM

Default All round ice rod

New to ice fishing and hoping to try it this season. looking for a good all around rod and reel combo. Or is it better to just have one for pike then one for perch and trout?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 PM

id have a heavy or med heavy for the pike, with a stronger line, and then a light or med-light with 6lb line for trout and perch.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingallday View Post
New to ice fishing and hoping to try it this season. looking for a good all around rod and reel combo. Or is it better to just have one for pike then one for perch and trout?
If you can only afford one rod get a heavier one and don't worry about a rod for perch. You can easily catch perch with just a spool of line in your hand.

Then I would get a Med Hvy rod as this will handle every thing else (excep large Pike and Lakers). My favorite among those is AETOS™ ICE SPINNING
by FENWICK. Best value for a reel is the Pflueger® President® Spinning Reel IMHO. You can purchase a couple of extra spools for it and have different line on each spool then you'd be ready for just about anything.

If you have lots of Money then by a number of St Croix rods and Shimano Stradic CI4+ reels .

Good luck with your seaon
Old 11-25-2015, 06:14 PM

Thanks for both the replies I was looking around online and reading reviews and the fennwick is what I'm leaning towards
Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Default All round ice rod

I loved the older Stcroix with the longer cork handle. The new ones are garbage IMO. Really like Clams Jason Mitchell pro ice rods. If your going to spend the money, order a ThorneBros. Made from Stcroix blanks with Fiji guides in almost any length and style. As for a reel I go with a pflueger. Cheap enough and decent quality. Gone through more expensive reel that's it's not worth spending the large dollars. The problem I keep having is cracking and braking the cranking gear inside due to the metal being weak in the -20 to -30 weather.