Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 AM

Pse may have had hit the 370 in 2013. I don't really follow their stuff much but if they did why did they wait until last year to have all their bragging advertizing where they are all jumping for joy that they hit 370? I assumed it was because they never did it before. lol
I beleive apa is a 1/2" shorter draw than what I used to shoot.
Who is it that apa is supposed to of copied from? I could see Mathews getting accused of copying 20 year old technology with their no cam lol
I'm not trying to knock the other bows but you guys all stick with your great American bows I'll just take my Canadian made bow to the 3d shoots this summer. We will all shoot within a couple points and we can talk about how bad the Canadian economy is lol
Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 AM

Was wanting an apa when I was looking for a bow last year. Loved all the gadgets on it and the look. Shot a bunch of different brands and models. I have a 31" draw so that narrowed things down a bit. The price tag for most of the bows are up there too. Then, believe it or not, I tried a bear venue and something clicked. Felt good and the price was right too. I don't think many give bear a second thought. Maybe it's me but I usually end up shooting better than most at the range. Oh, and can hold full draw all day. Next bow will be fancier but fancy doesn't kill big game, accuracy does. Those apa bows do look nice though.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:01 PM

I love my apa sidewinder he2 its awesome its extremely lite. Shoots fast hits hard what more can you ask for.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:47 PM

Default After 9 months...

I'm happy with my M6. I did a big comparison spreadsheet before I bought that weighed factors important to me and my style of shooting and it ended up at the top of the list. . It wasn't the smoothest drawing bow but great for what some call an aggressive cam, it was light for a bow with added conveniences. I hike quite a bit and the handle and rise fang were nice to have. Nothing I care to have sharp will touch the riser sharpener. I messed around with quite a few bows and to me it hit all my high points. Not the best in all categories but a very good now for what I paid. It was in the top flight and for small differences I will shoot a Canadian bow all things being equal.

Looks for me have nothing to do with it. I think all compounds look like a strung out game cart next to my hickory, bubinga and shedua riser recurve bow.

To all those who speculate on why APA increased their price - has anyone asked them? Just wondering.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterbuck View Post
I love my apa sidewinder he2 its awesome its extremely lite. Shoots fast hits hard what more can you ask for.
Hey cluster. What year is your sidewinder? Saw one today that was a 2013 but priced well.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Hey cluster. What year is your sidewinder? Saw one today that was a 2013 but priced well.
Im pretty sure its a 2012 . I really like it luke i said shoots fast hits hard all i really need.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
Pse may have had hit the 370 in 2013. I don't really follow their stuff much but if they did why did they wait until last year to have all their bragging advertizing where they are all jumping for joy that they hit 370? I assumed it was because they never did it before. lol
I beleive apa is a 1/2" shorter draw than what I used to shoot.
Who is it that apa is supposed to of copied from? I could see Mathews getting accused of copying 20 year old technology with their no cam lol
I'm not trying to knock the other bows but you guys all stick with your great American bows I'll just take my Canadian made bow to the 3d shoots this summer. We will all shoot within a couple points and we can talk about how bad the Canadian economy is lol
What he said...

For those who believe in supporting the Canadian economy and enjoy a quaility Canadian made bow...

lol

Neil
Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 AM

I'll support the Canadian economy by supporting my local archery proshop no matter what product I purchase from them.

LC
Old 02-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Lol this thread is GOLD!

Personally I have owned two, and couldn't really care to own another...the thier IBO ratings are kinda blown up as well...but after i switched brands i couldn't help but notice how much easier bow tuning became. And i gained almost an inch of drawlength haha...
Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM

next bow I buy will be an APA just have to save enough ...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 02-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Lol this thread is GOLD!

Personally I have owned two, and couldn't really care to own another...the thier IBO ratings are kinda blown up as well...but after i switched brands i couldn't help but notice how much easier bow tuning became. And i gained almost an inch of drawlength haha...
Burn. careful the apa fanboys aren't gonna like that.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Lol this thread is GOLD!

Yes numbers are blown up. And he draw. Dang. 25.5 mods But tuning is easy.

I'm getting 253fps with a 521 gn arrow at measured 26.6 draw on a m5 with 18 gn on string at 66 lbs. not bad could have been a little better.

I did add two monkey tails under the speed knocs at each end On the string I guess I need to take them off and see if I have much lose there.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Burn. careful the apa fanboys aren't gonna like that.
Doesnt make sense..one of the easiest bows I have tuned yet...and to shoot for that matter...as mentioned to each their own...
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Doesnt make sense..one of the easiest bows I have tuned yet...and to shoot for that matter...as mentioned to each their own...
Care to comment on the draw length remark?
Old 02-01-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Care to comment on the draw length remark?
Oh why not... ...APA like other name brand bows measure their draw to what is known or termed true draw... many are within the IBO standards However may be long on a standard draw board ...yes APA draw long as many others bows do...AMO / IBO and many measure draw from lowest point in grip ...some at center of Berger..[Rest bolt Hole] not all grips are created equal or same...

I dont shoot for speed so I could care less as long as my bow is comfortable and accurate!!

Neil
Old 02-01-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Wondering the same thing. It`s usually nothing more than a couple of twists on the yoke.

Draw length......it`s still drawing the arrow back a set distance. Maybe them other bows are drawing longer lol. It`s all same you pull the arrow back 30 inches irregardless of what is printed on the manufacturers mod. I have a couple of bows from different manufacters. My APA is 30 and the others are 31 (but functionally they are both drawing the arrow back the same distance) To date the APA still shoots the same arrow through the chrony a few fps quicker than the other ones. The APA`s have been fairly decent bows for me.

Having said that I`m likely going to keep trying other bows. I just like shooting something different every few years.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Oh why not... ...APA like other name brand bows measure their draw to what is known or termed true draw... many are within the IBO standards However may be long on a standard draw board ...yes APA draw long as many others bows do...AMO / IBO and many measure draw from lowest point in grip ...some at center of Berger..[Rest bolt Hole] not all grips are created equal or same...

I dont shoot for speed so I could care less as long as my bow is comfortable and accurate!!

Neil
Then where do you measure from for apa.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Neil
Point is, ibo speeds are done at 30''...apas 30'' is typically 3/4 -1" longer than the competitors 30'' .
I like speed bows for the extra kinetic energy hunting, and it was definitely more of a struggle tuning the mambas than it should have been. Especially compared to my new bow. Brace height is the same, apa a little longer ata...
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Lol this thread is GOLD!

Guess it's true, the more you do something the better you get at it. Lol
Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 AM

Many other bows out there draw long yes...im sure its not intention to cheat on IBO speed, but rather on design...for example when Mathews Monster claimed to be fastest bow out there it drew 3/4+ on its draw also..

Agreed there needs to a stricter standard in place ...thought we may see that with the new ATA...but its pretty much the same as IBO...

Neil
Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Can't remember the last time I heard someone say I would have got that deer if only my bow was shooting 5 fps faster lol don't get so caught up on speed people ?
Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 AM

I look at the speed. I'm a short draw that likes heavy arrows. So speed is what I look at. The m5 I bought is doing ok. It's drawing around 26 5/8 to 26 12/16 on a 25.5 mod. I just tested a arrow last night It shot a 521 gn arrow 253 at 66 lbs.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
What he said...

For those who believe in supporting the Canadian economy and enjoy a quaility Canadian made bow...

lol

Neil
Was wondering if you have their arrow rest on you bow. I assume they are Canadian made as well?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Many other bows out there draw long yes...im sure its not intention to cheat on IBO speed, but rather on design...for example when Mathews Monster claimed to be fastest bow out there it drew 3/4+ on its draw also..

Agreed there needs to a stricter standard in place ...thought we may see that with the new ATA...but its pretty much the same as IBO...

Neil
I can't see what makes it so tough? Measure dl from the throat of the grip and add 1.75 inches. Seems like people have a tough time "interpreting" what Amo meant by creating the standard.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 AM

Default Remember, this is the Archery Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
Hey there! Looking forward opinions on the Viper Air from anyone that has one or tried one.

28.5 draw, 60#. Will be used for deer...eventually
OP's original question.

Other than Lost, how many posters here have actually shot the Viper Air. I know I haven't. I have shot the M7 but that has little to do with the OP's question. I owned a Z7, should I be giving advice or comments on the No Cam.

We pride ourselves that the Archery section isn't for attacking each other like the other topic sections. Get a grip guys and get outdoors and shoot something.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I can't see what makes it so tough? Measure dl from the throat of the grip and add 1.75 inches. Seems like people have a tough time "interpreting" what Amo meant by creating the standard.
Exactly...the speed rating should be based on an actual 30inch draw, not a "30 inch-ish setting on the mod/cam"

With any 355-360 IBO bow you could add and inch, get an extra ~10fps and wow the industry with a fast bow

LC
Old 02-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgsgw View Post
Can't remember the last time I heard someone say I would have got that deer if only my bow was shooting 5 fps faster lol don't get so caught up on speed people ?
No, but if i do screw up and hit a deers shoulder, its nice to now i can blow right through and still get a double lung shot. Or on a hard quartering shot know i have enough KE to easily penetrate the vitals and quite possibly get an exit wound as well. Im quite happy shooting 280-290fps with an arrow thats 450 to 500 grains...
Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 PM

Oppps...Some of you Techno-whizzez didnt see the point about hijacking the OPs simple question and post!!!!

So here is the place for that Homers...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=278612

slam away there...

lol

Neil
Old 02-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, but if i do screw up and hit a deers shoulder, its nice to now i can blow right through and still get a double lung shot. Or on a hard quartering shot know i have enough KE to easily penetrate the vitals and quite possibly get an exit wound as well. Im quite happy shooting 280-290fps with an arrow thats 450 to 500 grains...
Spend more time practicing and less time trying to figure out a way around accuracy, with the speed your shooting accompanied with that heavy of an arrow you'll be fine with regardless.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Exactly...the speed rating should be based on an actual 30inch draw, not a "30 inch-ish setting on the mod/cam"

With any 355-360 IBO bow you could add and inch, get an extra ~10fps and wow the industry with a fast bow

LC
Ding ding ding.
First the fan boys brag about the speed, but later in the same post when called out about way over length draw lengths giving false speeds they say they don't care about speed.

The only thing apa has ever developed is the suit case handle and ass scratcher, everything else is run of the mill.