Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 01:47 PM

Default Alberta Mountain Goat 2015 - Zone O (WMU 400)

A few months back I noticed and read a post about Alberta Goat Hunting (“Alberta Goat Draw” from May 8, 2018). The post started with the inquiry: “Why do we never see the successful hunters who win the lottery share?”. Not to be flippant, but my opinion is (A) not every AB Hunter is on AO Forum; and, (B) if they are on AO Forum, not every AB Hunter is compelled to tell their story.

I thought about chiming in and telling my story… but the thread was going sideways quickly. Sideways with debate/discussion on how the draw should be managed, what the tag should cost, etc. I figured one day when I had a bit of time I would start a thread and tell my story, my way.

I was very fortunate to draw the lottery tag for Zone O in 2015. Zone O is the most southern zone in AB and part of WMU 400. I had always put in for the Goat Draw but never really strategized or put much thought into the areas (considering the odds of winning it I never felt it was necessary – haha). Essentially, having grown up in Southern AB, my strategy typically focused on the southern zones and started alphabetically at O.

Growing up, though I had hunted many of the Southern AB WMUs with my dad and family friends, I had never hunted in WMU 400and our hunts were generally elk, moose and deer, with the odd trip incorporating some sheep effort onto an early season elk-oriented hunt. In fact, despite spending a decent amount of time in the parts of WMU 402 in which goats habitat, I had never seen a mountain goat on the hoof…. ever…like not even on the highway to Radium.

After getting the call in August to inform me I was the lucky recipient my focus became (A) understanding mountain goats as much as I could (e.g. nanny vs. billy characteristics, etc.); and, (B) getting familiar with Zone O.

Early on in preparation I had decided a few things:
•I was only going to harvest a billy;
•I drew this and it was on me to get up to speed. I was to keep the adventure small with family and friends.

The hunting turned out to be some of most exciting and memorable experiences in my life. I could probably write a short book on all the detail, but need to try to keep the length of this post reasonable. My dad was there for every day of the hunt and did a lot of the work with horses and logistics. My brother joined for all but three days and we had a couple close family friends present for different parts. The summary is as follows (I will share more than I normally would because I would be happy to help with information to any lucky AB resident who pulls this tag):
•Three separate hunt trip/efforts for a total of 12 or 13 days.
-First – Yarrow, Spinkop, Drywood
-Second – packed a camp into the South Castle
-Third – Yarrow, Yarrow and more Yarrow
•I didn’t track, but somewhere between 100-150miles on horse and or foot;
•Exploration of some of the most beautiful areas Southern AB has to offer;
•Couple days in areas that we learned the goats probably don’t frequent very much (we were still figuring out the area);
•Only one big bear on the foot (surprisingly only one), but lots of signs;
•Saw and or got on to goats all but two days;
•Generally, I learned that you will always see the goats hanging out on the rocks; however, I suggest that you don’t limit your efforts to just that, as you will be surprised what you find hanging out in the Tamaracks;
•I had numerous opportunities to harvest mature nannies (I am characterizing opportunities as getting to within a couple hundred yards on reasonable terrain). Note: Sometimes you need to wait for the goat to urinate to know whether you are taking a shot of not;
•One close opportunity with a big billy…. but he evaded me.

As you are probably figuring out, unfortunately, I did not harvest a goat. Generally speaking, the billies stuck to terrain that blew my mind…. Often, we watched them as they hung out on the +7000ft cliff like faces you find in this area. The close call involved slightly milder terrain but a hike straight up to attempt to connect with one of two billies resting on a cliff band.

As said before, the opportunity was one of the most exciting and memorable experiences in my life…. especially being able to spend it with my Dad and Brother. I have no regrets, aside from not taking more time off work and hunting the tag more! Fall is busy for me at work (and I like my job!) and at the time, I felt like I was taking off about as much time as I could reasonably take. The fact that I didn’t get my once in a lifetime AB Mountain Goat zips through my mind about once a week, but I have a great story and experience to share and a new passion sparked for mountain hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Banned

Thank you for that SWS!!!! Really appreciate you sharing this!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I love that country between Yarrow and Mill and have spent countless nights sleeping on top of those mountains. I use to have my wife drop me off at Yarrow and pick me up at the staging area for Mill 4 days later. Oh what I would give to be in sheep shape again.

Jim..
Old 08-17-2018, 02:54 PM

Amazing critters. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-17-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Thank you for that SWS!!!! Really appreciate you sharing this!
You bet!
Old 08-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I love that country between Yarrow and Mill and have spent countless nights sleeping on top of those mountains. I use to have my wife drop me off at Yarrow and pick me up at the staging area for Mill 4 days later. Oh what I would give to be in sheep shape again.

Jim..
That is awesome! Like I said in the post, I had never spent any time in that area. It was amazing. There is some big country in the area that I came to appreciate right quick.

Your venture you mention there is great - that a good tour!
Old 08-17-2018, 03:06 PM

I should have mentioned...

There are the obvious pics of the goats. But all the pics of the faces have goats in them if you care to strain your eyes! haha
Old 08-17-2018, 03:10 PM

Thanks for sharing your story! It was a good one. And success is not always measured by closing your tag.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:12 PM

Thanks for sharing SWS, what daunting/exciting task to be given! Gotta love the prominence of some of those peaks.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Wonderful photos and story. Thanks for sharing.

Can I ask what device you use to link your phone to the scope? That's pretty cool.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackacre View Post
Wonderful photos and story. Thanks for sharing.

Can I ask what device you use to link your phone to the scope? That's pretty cool.
you bet!

The product is PhoneSkope. You purchase two pieces (1) essentially a phone case for your specific phone (2) collar that slides over the scope. Two pieces clip together and aligns your phone camera to scope.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:39 PM

From your story I can tell you are a true hunter and did your due diligence prior to and during your hunt.
To me, you were successful without harvesting a Billy because you had a hunt of a lifetime.
Congratulations and thanks for posting your story!!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:01 PM

Excellent read and great picture selection to show the terrain. Thanks for putting in the time to put this up.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Banned

I see you spent some time in avion. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:57 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for sharing. Way More to hunting then just the kill!
Old 08-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Great story, and the pictures are awesome too. Harvest or not, sure sounds like a hunt you will cherish!
Old 08-19-2018, 04:57 AM

That was a Great read. Good on ya for not harvesting a Nanny. They will close the zone the following year if so and take away a opportunity for another Hunter at his once in a lifetime Alberta tag.
I was a successful candidate for the Wilmore a few years ago and I did a write up on here..
Maybe one day you will get a BC opportunity to hunt them again.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 AM

Thank you for sharing great story to read!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Great story! Thanks for sharing
Old 08-19-2018, 09:22 AM

Default Goat

Great story. Impressive to pass on the nannies … I know a fellow who flew to Terrace to hunt a goat and eventually shot a seal. Perhaps he wasn't high enough in the terrain.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 PM

Great story!
Old 12-27-2018, 08:05 PM

Great storey and pics. Goat hunting is by far my favourite hunt, however I am not in goat or sheep shape this year. I am lucky to live to the west where goat draws have decent odds to hunt more than once in a lifetime. Goats live in some mind blowing terrain, which you have to climb into if you want a really good billy.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:00 AM

Great Story brings back great memories of my Goat hunt this past September. Amazing what kind of terrain those goats live on.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Great pics. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-28-2018, 09:23 PM

Great write up and sharing of the hunt. Good on you for not shooting a nanny intentionally as some do.

I shot my first goat just across from WMU 400 in a valley that butts up to Syncline. Shot it in my second year in BC and was cool shooting it so close to Alberta where I used to hunt a lot. Likely 750 yards from the border or so.

Goat hunting is sure awesome!!
Old 12-28-2018, 09:41 PM

Thanks for sharing. What happened with the big billy that evaded you?

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 AM

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.