Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
now that sounds like a hardcore guy to me as he'd surely qualify for crossbow use anyhow...those archery diehards eh
Yup Kevin Evans , and he's one of Canada's best shooters.

Quote:

i'm sorry but once again if you wanted to cruise the roads and kick the door open on stuff then the compound wins again....here is where vertical would definitely be an advantage....i can't imagine driving around with a loaded crossbow in a vehicle and trying to get the thing out of an open door...you crack me up....i forgot what a poachers tool it was

D

Stinky It'a already happening, that's the problem. I witnessed twice, and reported it. The avg crossbow hunter has already painted the picture of an old coyote, an oppoturnist, looking to ride the coat tails of the Bowhunters. Trying to accomplish the most with the least amount of work.

Let them fight for their own season, perhaps at the end and let it co inside with muzzleloaders in there own primitive weapon season. That would be an acceptable answer, that would satisfy everyone I believe.

Remember It was certain bowhunters , and ranchers in the bow zone 212 that helped push, and petition for sunday hunting, no one else helped them, but the benefit was seen through out the hunting community. Even if the xbow passes, i'm sure the same ranchers might come together not to allow xbows on their property......Then what does allowing xbows accomplish??

Only bad things could come from allowing xbows to coinside with archery season, and we don't have the resources to curb it at the end.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Only bad things could come from allowing xbows to coinside with archery season, and we don't have the resources to curb it at the end.
How did things work out in Ontario, Quebec and BC? Only bad? Hardly.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
you are hard core too, don't even gun hunt, lots of bowhunters like that, you should dictate for the rest of the hunters being that hardcore?

and to the part about suddenly every gun hunter flips open his wallet to buy crossbows and cruising the roads for two months....uh yeah....ok, sounds like thats whats happened everywhere else they've been let in....total disaster

i'm sorry but once again if you wanted to cruise the roads and kick the door open on stuff then the compound wins again....here is where vertical would definitely be an advantage....i can't imagine driving around with a loaded crossbow in a vehicle and trying to get the thing out of an open door...you crack me up....i forgot what a poachers tool it was

so back to reality, an initial surge of people trying the crossbow with unrealistic expectations...sure....but it won't take long for those folks to realize its still bowhunting 99% lol and the surge will then be a bunch of crossbows hitting the buy/sell section and you are way too optimistic about how many people are going to rush out and pick these things up....initial surge yes probably....but not every gun hunter....i'm guessing more bowhunters buy them for introduction tools/taking people they know etc. than gun hunters....just a guess but gun hunters would take that money and just buy more guns imo....especially after they give it a try and find out its just another bow

I gun hunt for Coyotes, and bird hunt a bit. Other then that Bow only. This is just my preferance in the past 12 years. Why did i give up rifle hunting? For the same reasons i dont want XGun hunting classed as achery! Dozens of clueless jack@ss rednecks poaching, crowding land, killing everything that moves (including other hunters sometimes) and a total lack of respect for each other and landowners! Its what happens when you throw more hunters into less property. Its is rare during a bow season to run into another hunter in the bush. Why, because they understand wind direction, wind currents, bedding areas, feeding areas...they stay away from each other as much as possible and don't try to screw each other over. I can't say that for most gun hunters. I had one guy pull up behind me on a gravel road as i was glassing a herd of elk he got out and started firing at a herd of elk 800yards away! Ive had bullets zip right past me and hit animals i was stalking. I've have had to beat up 3 other guys for other jack@ss stunts! When you jam all those guys into the country it will be a total ***** show! Like most rifle zones are.

Xbow hunters will be everywhere! Every guy that rifle hunts will be racing to the stores to pick one up! They all love to whine that we get to hunt longer and during better elk seasons and blah, blah, blah!!! You wanna hunt these seasons then go and learn to shoot a bow, practice and learn to be compitant with a bow. They don't do this because then they need to learn something new. Its much easier to cry and whine and try to get the government to allow them to hunt with a gun that shoots an arrow and takes ZERO practice!

The thought Pi$$es me off so bad! Anyone can kill a deer with a gun or Xbow!

Can you imagine what the gun hunting public would say if this was turned around? All the major popular rifle zones in our area are now Bow and xbow only? All those guys that are trying to love crossbows would be boycotting the hell out the idea!

Anyone who bowhunts or let me correct that, is a BOWhunter is crazy if they don't respond to this questionaire!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
How did things work out in Ontario, Quebec and BC? Only bad? Hardly.
Whats BC's Archery season???
2 weeks?
I guess if your a gun hunter it works out well

Last edited by BowhuntAB; 04-06-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM

'bout that......
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

lol, some funny stuff there, i love the lazy clueless jackazz poaching rednecks running around the country side killing everything in sight bit....that was good for an ear to ear

yeah, sure thost lazy clueless jackazz poacking rednecks will be able to do all that with a bow...they will be in good shape when they are done doing all that killin lol

my goodness

for the life of me i cant see why any ranchers would come together against the crossbow....must be 10x better than having gun hunters running around.....because its exactly like running around with a compound bow, thats just way out there for me...i suppose if some archery hardcore are out there spreading lies about the tool then i could see it but anyone that can calmly and rationally explain facts to said ranchers then i'm sure their brains will work like most others and see it exactly as it is....another bow

this entire thing for me is logic based, i have no special interests...i follow the logic and when you take all the emotion out of it its plain and simple....another bow we simply should have utilized for bowhunting when it was all set up, the doom and gloom end of the world.....just another bow or else i would be against it
Old 04-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
Whats BC's Archery season???
2 weeks?
I guess if your a gun hunter it works out well
An ours is SOOO much longer.

Give me a break.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator

BC's archery season length depends on where and what you are hunting. In some cases the season is as short as 8 days, in others it's as long as 4 1/2 months. Sometimes their season is split so that you get time at the front and time at the back. Regardless, I doubt their season lengths were set because of crossbows but rather because of the BC Wildlife Federation and the wants of their members..
Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:

for the life of me i cant see why any ranchers would come together against the crossbow....must be 10x better than having gun hunters running around.....because its exactly like running around with a compound bow, thats just way out there for me...i suppose if some archery hardcore are out there spreading lies about the tool then i could see it but anyone that can calmly and rationally explain facts to said ranchers then i'm sure their brains will work like most others and see it exactly as it is....another bow

it
You believe the average rancher will be able to tell the diffrence between an arrow from a xbow, or one from a conventional bow. All it would take is some jackbut, to try to shoot a buck from the cab of his truck, gut shoot it and have the farmer find it. And blame is on....( yes it happens again I reported it twice)

I'm tired of hearing stories of wounded deer from bowhunters, the average person wont be able to tell the diffrence and the blame will come Bowhunters way.

Stinky why exactly are you for xbows???
Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

Stinky why exactly are you for xbows???
make sense, wonderful tool that we are not utilizing properly, lets get it where it fits and adjust to it, then life will be better
Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
make sense, wonderful tool that we are not utilizing properly, lets get it where it fits and adjust to it, then life will be better
Life would be better for who???? Not Me! Not Bow Hunting, Not Archery, Not the Bowzone, Not the draw system.

Maybe life would be great for the stereo typical lazy hunter!!

That's I had enough of you Stinky, I'm Calling you and your Mother!!! Your suppose to on our side!

P.s Agree with me , sign the sheet, and I'll let you shoot the first ram this year.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Banned

I want to know if the ABA (Brent) will present the thoughts of those who do not agree with him???

Or is this just a one sided way of working the selfish agenda the ABA has?

Brent I think a answer is required. Especially if you wish to have any credibility with the stakeholders around that table. (And any credibility for the future!)

Jamie
Old 04-07-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I want to know if the ABA (Brent) will present the thoughts of those who do not agree with him???

Or is this just a one sided way of working the selfish agenda the ABA has?

Brent I think a answer is required. Especially if you wish to have any credibility with the stakeholders around that table. (And any credibility for the future!)
Possibly just having ABA member's comments relayed would be the most productive for the group. I know as an ABA member I would prefer to have my voice heard as a 'group'. Thats my thoughts at least....I would think that the ABA would be most concerned with voicing the opinion of its membership first (as would any organization who stands for certain issues).

Last edited by Rackmastr; 04-07-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

guess will have to do those beers soon Potty and work this out for good as clearly you don't understand that its a bow yet
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
An ours is SOOO much longer.

Give me a break.
Ummm....its over three months!!! That is sooooo much longer then most of the BC seasons. Nice try...
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM

I guess you missed this post. The seasons vary in both provinces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
BC's archery season length depends on where and what you are hunting. In some cases the season is as short as 8 days, in others it's as long as 4 1/2 months. Sometimes their season is split so that you get time at the front and time at the back. Regardless, I doubt their season lengths were set because of crossbows but rather because of the BC Wildlife Federation and the wants of their members..
It's ok though. I understand you're a little hot under the collar this morning.

Deep breaths.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Possibly just having ABA member's comments relayed would be the most productive for the group. I know as an ABA member I would prefer to have my voice heard as a 'group'. Thats my thoughts at least....I would think that the ABA would be most concerned with voicing the opinion of its membership first (as would any organization who stands for certain issues).
Ok. fair enough. but what if a member doesn't agree. Or what about bow hunters who are not members?
What I am disturbed about is the following conversation
"I was on the Alberta outdoorsmen website and here is exactly what they had to say....."
I know how these things can work at times and I would hate to see any one sided things presented especially in the name of ALL BOW HUNTERS.

I find it a bit disturbing that a member of this group is out and about soliciting remarks and comments when he has already poisoned the well.

Jamie
Old 04-07-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I find it a bit disturbing that a member of this group is out and about soliciting remarks and comments when he has already poisoned the well.
Jamie
From Brents comments the ABA membership discussed this at there recent AGM and Brent is proceeding with the wishes of at least the majority of the membership present so I don't understand how he is poisoning the well as you so put it. He is only proceeding as the membership of the ABA wished.

As to who posted on this website, it was not in fact Brent. Brent has posted in the past under his name, not sure if he has or hasn't viewed this thread, but it was not posted by him.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Is this questionaire only for ABA members? I am sure any nonmembers input that follows ABA will be added in and any that doesn't goes in the trash can.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 AM

I have to say the same as MathewsArcher, I'm sure that Brent did not post this and I would appreciate it if Ghilliesuit would take the time to identify himself properly.

This is why when the ABA had it's own forum, nicknames were frowned upon. People blasting away and making personal attacks on other people or having hidden agenda's.

For those of you that suffer from severe myopia, once this genie is out of the bottle I want to know how you intend to put it back in.

Also, you'd better be paying attention to something else on the horizon. There's talk of capping draw priority levels and that people would suck.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Ahh..
So it was not Brent who posted this.

That makes a bit more sense. Especially since they have their own web site.

My apologies for getting the wrong impression.

Perhaps this thread should be taken down? This is ABA business.

Jamie
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
lets get it where it fits and adjust to it, then life will be better
I would but I'm sure you'd agree it won't fit where I think you need it put.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Ahh..
So it was not Brent who posted this.

That makes a bit more sense. Especially since they have their own web site.

My apologies for getting the wrong impression.

Perhaps this thread should be taken down? This is ABA business.Jamie
This is everyones business, and we all need to give our little input.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is everyones business, and we all need to give our little input.
Agreed.
But will the ABA channel put forth the negative comments???
If not, its pretty much a one sided conversation with the Alberta Outdoors men as supposed author.

Jamie
Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Since the survey is open to anyone, I think I'll put in my 2 cents. Surely the ABA will send it in to SRD even though it may not fit their agenda, right?

I will email it to all my buddies as well. I'm sure the ABA won't mind......

lol!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Considering that AFGA brought the xbow resolution forward maybe you should be talking to them to have your voice heard.......Sounds like more than one voice is already being heard, this is just the ABA responding as their members see fit.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Since the survey is open to anyone, I think I'll put in my 2 cents. Surely the ABA will send it in to SRD even though it may not fit their agenda, right?

I will email it to all my buddies as well. I'm sure the ABA won't mind......

lol!
You argue for xbows, but yet you haven't explained why? or what you personally have to again from xbows? or what the general hunting population has to gain?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Unfortunatly, all those so far who have stepped up to the plate FOR xbows, have done so with the mind sight that they believe that xbows open the door for more hunter oppoturnity.But come accross as jealous. Yet bow hunting has opened the door for hunter growth for years, and given equal oppoturnity to all to try.

Most bow hunters have lead the way in trying to resolve situations and problems with hunting it's self. ( i.e sunday hunting, your welcome). When the gun law came up, even though there are bow hunter that don't touch rifles, I didn't hear a single person say, skrew them guys, it doesn't affect me I'm voting against!! We stood behind the gun population.

An intresting situation is arising, that I am seeing. None here FOR xbows is actually an exclusive Xbow hunter. I have yet to find posted on A.O a confirmed big game Xbow kill, during the hunting season....WHY? Does no one who argues for them use them. So why argue for something like that? The oppoturnity to form a club, or brotherhood of xbow hunters has not started. There fight is based on the hard work of other organization, and lick a tick have tried to hang on and suck the blood out of these hard fighting organizations.

If an xbow club, spent the time(years) the money (thousands) and the political channels like other hunting facits have, then they to would have earned a right to speak. But until we stop talking about a rifle like weapon, with no real following or actual members, I believe this should be a mute topic. Start where the bow hunting community started, gain some members, contribute more to hunting, like bowhunters pay, and work your way up to a level where you might have a case.

Most bowhunters are united in saying that:
-They are not a bow
-They shouldn't have the same season as Bows have
-They shouldn't be allowed in 212,248, and 410

-They should have there own season (perhaps a primitive weapons season in dec for two weeks)
-Bow hunters would be happy (they wouldn't lose everything they fought for)
-A chance for hunter growth would be generated
-An extended hunting season would benefit everyone

Heck I might even buy one if it meant I could hunt in rifle zones in december for 2 weeks!

Would that not be a great solution to everyones needs?????
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Banned

well potty, you contradicted yourself HUGE in the last post. you want credit for sunday hunting? really? you stood up for gun hunters when you prefer the bow..ok...hunters do need to stick together. but then you turn around and say that guys who dont use xbows shouldnt argue for them???? seems you only wish to stand together as long as you dont have to give up anything. clearly its the bowhunting crowd who is being selfish here with their wants of less competition.
i will say that you ended the post with the first point in this whole xbow topic that does makes some sense. id love to see a primitive weapons season after the rifle season. that would also be a great new opportunity for alberta hunters. open a new season for all bows, muzzies, and i guess shotguns too? of course the next thing you'll be arguing is that only real muzzy hunters use flintlocks though right
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You argue for xbows, but yet you haven't explained why? or what you personally have to again from xbows? or what the general hunting population has to gain?
I argue for hunters. What really gets me is the self entitlement of the ABA and their like. They don't want anyone else in their little early season club. They should be embracing the interest in xbows to bolster their ranks.

And I still say, the more hunters the better.

Great quote from a xbow and compound bow hunter from my reading this afternoon.

Quote:
In my travels, I am heartened to discover that more and more people are grasping the big picture. Hunters are quickly realizing that personal greed and selfishness are not the ways to abet our very real struggle for survival. If we are to preserve our heritage, we must recruit new members of all ages and both sexes. The only thing that is more important than numbers, however, is uniting those numbers into a single voice that speaks for the rights and freedom of all hunters.

If you do not approve of someone else’s method of hunting, don’t try to kill it by going to war against it, that is the action of an anti-hunter. It’s really that simple! If you don’t like it, then don’t do it! When and if each of us learns to live and let live with our hunting brethren, then perhaps we will have a chance to protect what is so near and dear to us all. Undeniably, if hunters continue to tear away at one another like a pack of rabid dogs, the future of all hunting will be dark and predictably short.
Closed Thread