Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2015, 01:42 PM

Default Catfish close popular fishing hole near Fort McMurray

This is interesting!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rray-1.3135579

Catfish are the latest invasive species to find their way into Alberta lakes, ponds

Catfish have closed a popular fishing and recreation spot near Fort McMurray, forcing fish and wildlife to crack down on the whiskered bottom dwellers who are not native and not welcome in Alberta.

The fish were discovered by a local angler who recently reeled one in at the Texaco East pond, southeast of the Fort McMurray airport, and knew it didn't belong in Alberta.

"If you see something that doesn't look quite right we always want that information," said Tanya Rushcall, aquatic invasive species technician with the Alberta government.

The breed of catfish found was a black bullhead, known for eating just about anything, including native fish species and is classified as a prohibited species in Alberta.

"They can predate on the smaller fish, as well they kind of eat anything that will go into their mouth," said Rushcall adding that invasive species such as catfish can bring diseases that can pose a problem for native fish.

Officials with Alberta parks and environment sampled, or went fishing in the pond where the catfish was discovered and caught thirty catfish, from three generations — or catfish that have lived in the lake for about three years.

The government closed the Texaco East pond on June 26 and since then have been scouring nearby ponds and lakes to determine if the catfish are also living in other areas.

Once their hunt for the catfish is complete their next job will be to eradicate or kill the fish

Catfish are the latest invasive species to surface in Alberta waters, after goldfish growing to the size of dinner plates and Prussian carp made headlines earlier this month.

■Giant goldfish multiplying in Alberta ponds
■Invasive mussels found on boat during mandatory inspection near Sylvan Lake
The province recently launched the "Don't Let It Loose" campaign to educate the public on the damage caused by activities such as illegal stocking, aquarium/ live fish releases and ceremonial and cultural releases.

Penalties for illegally transferring fish into any water body aside from the one it was caught in can be up to $100,000 and/or a year in prison
Old 07-02-2015, 02:29 PM

"Black bullheads are found throughout the central United States, often in stagnant or slow-moving waters with soft bottoms"

Definitely no bird's carrying these between lakes lol
Old 07-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Ya, this is bad news... It's a fun little pond, trout don't get very big but it's fun to ice fish. I've seen bullheads do damage on stocked ponds back in Manitoba, they found their way in with the floods and would cruise by in schools by the dozens. This was yeeaars ago in MB but we were told to catch and kill, hopefully they keep stocking the texaco pond...

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Great just what we need another invasive species in Alberta... I can only hope they will take the appropriate actions this time!!!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Great just what we need another invasive species in Alberta... I can only hope they will take the appropriate actions this time!!!
I assume 'they' is the government (we, really) which has to fix the problems caused by ignorant & selfish individuals. If you're comparing catfish in an isolated trout pond to Prussian carp in a river, I don't think that's a reasonable comparison. What action would be appropriate to get rid of a fish species in a stream full of native fish? If a species can't be selectively eliminated, how much cost and collateral damage is acceptable?

I expect the catfish situation in this pond will be dealt with effectively. I hope someone learns a lesson in the process, but perhaps that's too optimistic.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
I assume 'they' is the government (we, really) which has to fix the problems caused by ignorant & selfish individuals. If you're comparing catfish in an isolated trout pond to Prussian carp in a river, I don't think that's a reasonable comparison. What action would be appropriate to get rid of a fish species in a stream full of native fish? If a species can't be selectively eliminated, how much cost and collateral damage is acceptable?

I expect the catfish situation in this pond will be dealt with effectively. I hope someone learns a lesson in the process, but perhaps that's too optimistic.
I agree with you and you certainly have a valid point, however I don't think the Prussian carp started in the bow river. It is more likely they were stocked in small dug outs and ponds in order for the people that put them there to catch and keep easily. I also believe if ESRD made a more concentrated effort years ago when these fish were just starting to be reported they may have been eradicated. Maybe there was nothing that could have been done, but I like to be optimistic. Regardless I agree that the people stocking these fish need to be dealt with very strictly. Your right it's not a fair comparison at the end of the day, but maybe if action was taken right off the get go and the carp problem was taken seriously things may be different now. None the less it is a very sad situation and I hope the bucket brigade gets what is coming to them.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I agree with you and you certainly have a valid point, however I don't think the Prussian carp started in the bow river. It is more likely they were stocked in small dug outs and ponds in order for the people that put them there to catch and keep easily. I also believe if ESRD made a more concentrated effort years ago when these fish were just starting to be reported they may have been eradicated. Maybe there was nothing that could have been done, but I like to be optimistic. Regardless I agree that the people stocking these fish need to be dealt with very strictly. Your right it's not a fair comparison at the end of the day, but maybe if action was taken right off the get go and the carp problem was taken seriously things may be different now. None the less it is a very sad situation and I hope the bucket brigade gets what is coming to them.
I believe, that if there was something that could have been done it would have been done! You honestly think they didnt take it seriously?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I believe the first reports were from the Rosebud River, tributary to the Red Deer. The floods in 2013 moved the fish all over. Ebola was at the airport. The best thing is for people to stop being dumb*****s.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:39 AM

wost fish possible, its so horrible even dogs won't eat it lol.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I believe, that if there was something that could have been done it would have been done! You honestly think they didnt take it seriously?
I can see if it started in the Rosebud that would make no sense to poison due to the risks on the native fish and because it flows into the Red Deer. I do think they could have tried electroshocking and netting, or at the very least why not put up a bunch of signs and educate the public that these fish have been spotted (catch and kill). At the end of the day that likely would have not eliminated them but at least that would have been something. no signs were made the public was unaware...these fish have been around for many years, and just recently people are finding out about them?
So yea IMO something could have been done...so did they take it seriously?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I believe the first reports were from the Rosebud River, tributary to the Red Deer. The floods in 2013 moved the fish all over. Ebola was at the airport. The best thing is for people to stop being dumb*****s.
I was not trying to de disrespectful, I agreed with you and like I said you had a valid point, l respect your opinion I was just stating mine. If you were referring to me being a dumb*ss for what I said, I don't think that is appropriate. It is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I was not trying to de disrespectful, I agreed with you and like I said you had a valid point, l respect your opinion I was just stating mine. If you were referring to me being a dumb*ss for what I said, I don't think that is appropriate. It is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Not referring to you at all...that was directed to the dumb*sses who move fish around. I reckon you're one of the good guys.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbreez View Post
wost fish possible, its so horrible even dogs won't eat it lol.
Bullhead don't taste bad at all.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
"Black bullheads are found throughout the central United States, often in stagnant or slow-moving waters with soft bottoms"

Definitely no bird's carrying these between lakes lol
Lol
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-03-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I can see if it started in the Rosebud that would make no sense to poison due to the risks on the native fish and because it flows into the Red Deer. I do think they could have tried electroshocking and netting, or at the very least why not put up a bunch of signs and educate the public that these fish have been spotted (catch and kill). At the end of the day that likely would have not eliminated them but at least that would have been something. no signs were made the public was unaware...these fish have been around for many years, and just recently people are finding out about them?
So yea IMO something could have been done...so did they take it seriously?
Answer is Yes. They did take it seriously.
And I guess they should have appeased you and thrown the money away.
But at least you recognize it would not have eliminated them.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Not referring to you at all...that was directed to the dumb*sses who move fish around. I reckon you're one of the good guys.
I like to think so, my misunderstanding wind drift. Yea the good old bucket brigade seems to be multiplying lately, it's only a matter of time one of them gets caught bucket in hand! Not soon enough for me!
Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Answer is Yes. They did take it seriously.
And I guess they should have appeased you and thrown the money away.
But at least you recognize it would not have eliminated them.
A few signs and educating the public, is a waste of money then?
Yes that would have appeased me, because it is better than nothing. I know of individuals that have made reports about these fish years ago, and they didn't even follow up. Do you have evidence that ESRD took it seriously? Do you know for a fact they made an effort to do something about it?
Old 07-03-2015, 12:46 PM

Default AB ESRD did nothing!

This subject really gets me fired up so I'll try to keep it brief...
In 2005 (or so) while I was assisting ACA & SRD with a Fall Walleye Index Netting, I brought 2 frozen fish with me (from personal fishing trip) for identification. Of the 3 biologists from SRD, they could not agree on the species ID of either the goldfish or the carp. In fact they dismissed this as a (one-off) incidental catch from a pond not capable of reaching other waterways. Even further, I was assured not to worry as these fish would not survive in Alberta's climate and my samples were soon pitched in the trash! Here we are, almost 10 years later and we are now commonly identifying Waterbodies with the Prussian carp and silver goldfish. They are in carol side, MacGregor, Travers', Newell Rolling Hills, and others now!!
With over 100 days on the water each year, I find it maddening that someone sitting behind a desk can be an authority over our waterways and wildlife.
ESRD needs a new director or consultant.
Just my 2 cents
Old 07-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
This subject really gets me fired up so I'll try to keep it brief...
In 2005 (or so) while I was assisting ACA & SRD with a Fall Walleye Index Netting, I brought 2 frozen fish with me (from personal fishing trip) for identification. Of the 3 biologists from SRD, they could not agree on the species ID of either the goldfish or the carp. In fact they dismissed this as a (one-off) incidental catch from a pond not capable of reaching other waterways. Even further, I was assured not to worry as these fish would not survive in Alberta's climate and my samples were soon pitched in the trash! Here we are, almost 10 years later and we are now commonly identifying Waterbodies with the Prussian carp and silver goldfish. They are in carol side, MacGregor, Travers', Newell Rolling Hills, and others now!!
With over 100 days on the water each year, I find it maddening that someone sitting behind a desk can be an authority over our waterways and wildlife.
ESRD needs a new director or consultant.
Just my 2 cents

Do some research on a guy named Surrendi and you may see why these things happen.

Let's see here. Crayfish common in Ontario, carp, common in Ontario, bullheads, common in Ontario, mussels found in a roadside boatcheck, common in Ontario.
NDP voted in to office, common in Ontario.

OMG!! what pest from Ontario will we be subjected to next, smallmouth bass????????

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-03-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Shocking!!!

Thanks Jason, very interesting...a one off, threw it in the trash, cant survive. I think that about sums up my point, cant say I am all that surprised. I'm sure these fish would have established themselves regardless, but I don't think ESRD kicking their feet up and cracking a cold one, to wait and see what happens was the appropriate move. At the very least educate and get the word out (posters/signs etc.)