Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-31-2009, 12:27 PM

Default Savage 93 17HMR Ammo

I just bought a savage 93 in 17 HMR with three different brands of ammo, Winchester 17gr Vmax, 20gr gamepoints and Hornady 20 gr Xtp's. So far my vote goes to the Hornady's as the tightest shooting group. What are you guys shooting out of yours? By the way what a blast I'm gonna be doing some serious damage to the gopher and crow poulation around here.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:29 PM

My savage groups the tightest with remington and cci ballistic tips in .17 grain.
The 20 grain ccis group a little bit tighter than the 20 grain hornadys.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:45 PM

My Savage 17hmr loves the 20 XTP's. It shoots way better at 100 yards + than a rimfire ever should. It impresses me everytime.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM

Federal 17grain are best out of mine so far. I havent tried any of the 20 grainers yet. CCI was terrible, and Hornady was a close second to federals. Sub 1" at 100 yards with the Feds.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 PM

I like to use the Federal and Hornady V-max 17 grain because they are the cheapest and shoot well. All 17 HMR ammo is made by CCI so I don't think there is any difference except for tip colour. Of course there are some folks that will swear that one brand or 17hmr ammo shoots better than the other. From my experience they all shoot the same.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeo View Post
I like to use the Federal and Hornady V-max 17 grain because they are the cheapest and shoot well. All 17 HMR ammo is made by CCI so I don't think there is any difference except for tip colour. Of course there are some folks that will swear that one brand or 17hmr ammo shoots better than the other. From my experience they all shoot the same.
I think remington is the only one that advertises a "boat tail" .17 gr polymer tip bullet and while I dont have a chronograph a former co worker told me he was getting consistent velocity with the same brands lot to lot but different velocities between brands.
Some were consistently higher than the advertised 2550 fps and some lower.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Also another question, what are you guys using to clean your barrel? A bore snake , cleaning rod or both. I thought I had a cleaning rod at home that would fit the barrel but no such luck.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Also another question, what are you guys using to clean your barrel? A bore snake , cleaning rod or both. I thought I had a cleaning rod at home that would fit the barrel but no such luck.
I picked up an OTIS cleaning kit for .177 cal. Came with the cable, brush, jag, patches and solvent. Works great. OTIS gets my vote...
Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM

I also bought a rod to fit the .17
I like bore snakes but mostly for larger calibers.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
All 17 HMR ammo is made by CCI so I don't think there is any difference except for tip colour.
Where did you hear that?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Where did you hear that?
I believe that CCI produces most of the 17hmr ammo out there. I think I was wrong to say all but they do make the majority. CCI Ammunition loads all of the .17 HMR ammunition for the CCI, Federal Cartridge, Hornady, and Remington brands.
You can find the information here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_HMR
Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Default 17

Remington shot the best in my CZ with federal a close second. Winchester v-max gave the worst groups with the highest price. I use a boresnake every 15 to 20 rounds when accuracy starts to go downhill.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I believe that CCI produces most of the 17hmr ammo out there. I think I was wrong to say all but they do make the majority. CCI Ammunition loads all of the .17 HMR ammunition for the CCI, Federal Cartridge, Hornady, and Remington brands.
You can find the information here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_HMR
Then can you explain the dizzying variation in rifle to rifle performance of the different head stamped ammo?

Even if they are manufactured all under the same roof (which I doubt) there must be different criteria from brand to brand, how else would you get past the my rifle likes X and his rifle likes Y occurances.

There are no absolutes