Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 PM

Default LX9 flasher video - Strange mark on bottom

I need some input on a video of my flasher last weekend. At first I thought the green mark on bottom was a fish but it was there for over an hour and never turned red. Now I'm thinking it was silt or something moving along the bottom but really have no idea. It changed from green to blue occasionally indicating it was either moving or changing density. Any flasher people have an idea what it was?

https://youtu.be/omHOdxwvRdU

The noise you hear is the crazy winds from last weekend at Newell.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Your camera wouldn't help you identify what ever it was in 12ft of water?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:54 PM

This was late at night and I hadn't set up the camera, also I don't know how well the lights on a Marcum work as they're standard LED's and not infrared. I've never been able to see much at night on my old AquaVu camera with infrared lights and visible lights are illegal, no idea why Marcum chose to use them instead of infrared.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:58 PM

Likely a fish out at the edge of the cone.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
This was late at night and I hadn't set up the camera, also I don't know how well the lights on a Marcum work as they're standard LED's and not infrared. I've never been able to see much at night on my old AquaVu camera with infrared lights and visible lights are illegal, no idea why Marcum chose to use them instead of infrared.
Because they are not illegal in most states and maybe provinces. And visible light will attract fish.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Likely a fish out at the edge of the cone.
That's what I thought at first but it was there for over an hour and never turned red. If it was a fish he hung out for awhile but never got closer to the bait, that's possible but unlikely based on my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Because they are not illegal in most states and maybe provinces. And visible light will attract fish.
Makes sense, might as well cater to their biggest customer base. I keep forgetting that most places don't have near as many restrictions as Alberta or Canada in general.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:16 PM

spawning ling cod or burbot
Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 PM

I posted the same question/video on a Facebook fishing group and the best idea so far is crayfish. Apparently Newell is full of them and now that I think of it that's exactly what I'd expect them to look like on a flasher.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
That's what I thought at first but it was there for over an hour and never turned red. If it was a fish he hung out for awhile but never got closer to the bait, that's possible but unlikely based on my experience.

Makes sense, might as well cater to their biggest customer base. I keep forgetting that most places don't have near as many restrictions as Alberta or Canada in general.
Not as unlikely as you might think. Seen fish with the camera keeping off to the side while using sonar. Also observed the same result with camera off/out. Could also be weed on the edge of the cone. But I am betting fish. Could be crayfish as well I guess.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
spawning ling cod or burbot
Any fish bigger than 6" long will appear red if it's directly below my hole, if it was a fish he stayed right at the edge of my flasher's view the whole time.

Last edited by AdverseCity; 02-11-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 PM

Minnows, water insects or crayfish is my guess. Obviously something small moving along the bottom.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Your target adjust was set way too high at 6. Turn it off and use the sensitivity starting at zero and turning it up till you get a solid return on your lure. the marks on the bottom could have been small fish on the edge of the cone, minnows, weeds, insects or crayfish but one thing for sure they were barely stronger than the returns you were getting on your lure.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Your target adjust was set way too high at 6. Turn it off and use the sensitivity starting at zero and turning it up till you get a solid return on your lure. the marks on the bottom could have been small fish on the edge of the cone, minnows, weeds, insects or crayfish but one thing for sure they were barely stronger than the returns you were getting on your lure.
I reset to factory during the summer and this was the first time I used it this winter. I find any more than 2-3 sensitivity and I get marks from the dirty water, I then increased the target adjust until I had a clear-ish line for bottom. I really have no idea how to optimally adjust the settings but this worked for me. I'd love to get out with a veteran Marcum user and learn how to properly set my flasher.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:12 AM

I never use my flasher,sonar all the time LX7 .
Why would anyone want to look at flashing light over an object moving around on your screen following your hook .
Old 02-13-2016, 10:40 AM

if you were at newell it was crayfish lots of them there , sum do not move much and they would show that way on the screen .