Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2016, 07:29 PM

Default What do you do?

So... What do you guys do in this situation?

You're looking down your hole, using a wire worm and a nice big whitefish that resembles a submarine comes into view. It's headed straight to your wire worm....only not the end with the hook on it!

Seems like this happens 2-3 times a day. They come in, bite the hook but, due to the direction they're coming from, they don't get the point of the hook in their mouth. Are the rest of you fast enough that you can turn the point towards them? Do you just watch in frustration as they mouth the wrong end before giving up and swimming away (like I tend to)?

This seems to be an issue more often with the bigguns. Or maybe I just notice it more. Is this specific to me? Or do others see the same? And how do you deal with it???

Carter
Old 02-13-2016, 07:35 PM

Wait for them to suck the wireworm in more and try setting the hook or keep jigging and hope they turn around to hit it again (usually do) and they will probably be facing the wireworm this time around.. at least for me I find they do a quick 180 and hit it.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 PM

drop it to the bottom at let it sit there, they will inhale it then.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure this something to do with beads. Use the wire worm with the beads at the lower mid of the hook.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:06 PM

Try or make a few that look like this .... makes all the difference on those days you experienced.

Edit ... line diameter is also something to consider ... floro in 4 lb works best.

Z-z

Old 02-13-2016, 08:48 PM

I just made the wire worms out of telephone wire and made the "bead" by double wrapping at that end. Is that supposed to be imitating a head or something? I have just been R&D'ing (ripoff and duplicate) what my dad did for years. Down in gull lake they would often turn around for a second look. Up here in Edson I have yet to see one of them turn around.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
I just made the wire worms out of telephone wire and made the "bead" by double wrapping at that end. Is that supposed to be imitating a head or something? I have just been R&D'ing (ripoff and duplicate) what my dad did for years. Down in gull lake they would often turn around for a second look. Up here in Edson I have yet to see one of them turn around.
Thats exactly were I see em do that lol
Old 02-13-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
Thats exactly were I see em do that lol
When I did see them do this in Gull, they weren't typically actually taking a bite at the "bead" end of the hook. They'd just come up, look at it, circle around and hit it from the back or the side. I think the problem is they are actually trying to eat it, so by the time they spit it out they have actually realised it's a hunk of metal and not something they actually want to eat.

I'll try dropping it down when I see them coming in from the wrong end and see how that goes for me.

I suppose another option would be to try tying them on a smaller size hook?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Carter
Old 02-13-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
When I did see them do this in Gull, they weren't typically actually taking a bite at the "bead" end of the hook. They'd just come up, look at it, circle around and hit it from the back or the side. I think the problem is they are actually trying to eat it, so by the time they spit it out they have actually realised it's a hunk of metal and not something they actually want to eat.

I'll try dropping it down when I see them coming in from the wrong end and see how that goes for me.

Carter
I was talking near edson
Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Try or make a few that look like this .... makes all the difference on those days you experienced.

Edit ... line diameter is also something to consider ... floro in 4 lb works best.

Z-z

That's a pretty neat idea. Never really thought of just tying with the bead on the other end. Do you have any issues with the additional weight of the bead making it hard to get a horizontal presentation?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:15 PM

my dad has a wire worm that has a bead made from a tiny tightly wound ball of white cotton ( I dare not touch it but he swears by it for both summer and winter). shouldn't be too hard to fashion and bead size is that of a very small pea. on a yellow wire worm.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Carter
I was talking near edson, they act a little different at gull for me.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchthefisher View Post
I was talking near edson, they act a little different at gull for me.
It seems as though we have run into transplanted fish Mitch lol. What you see out here I see at Gull and vice versa.