Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 PM

Default STIHL Ice Auger

I am thinking of buying a STIHL BT 121 10" ice auger and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular model. I have been doing some research and they seem like a very dependable and rugged machine that can also be used as an earth auger if needed. I do have some concerns regarding how the start and run in extremely cold temperatures. I was also wondering how well the STIHL cutting bits perform? I have read in other forums that they constantly plug with ice and are difficult to drill with:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...topic=227822.0

It may be slightly bulkier and slower then other models but I’m a strong believer in “you get what you pay for” and would be willing to drop the extra cash on a reliable auger that will last decades and can be used for other applications all year round. I would greatly appreciate any information or insights before I go ahead and spend the money on this unit.

Last edited by Fish2XS; 12-24-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 PM

i have a feeling that the stihl and the honda strikemaster will be the king of thing that you pass on to your kids
Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2XS View Post
I am thinking of buying a STIHL BT 121 10" ice auger and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular model. I have been doing some research and they seem like a very dependable and rugged machine that can also be used as an earth auger if needed. I do have some concerns regarding how the start and run in extremely cold temperatures. I was also wondering how well the STIHL cutting bits perform? I have read in other forums that they constantly plug with ice and are difficult to drill with:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...topic=227822.0

It may be slightly bulkier and slower then other models but I’m a strong believer in “you get what you pay for” and would be willing to drop the extra cash on a reliable auger that will last decades and can be used for other applications all year round. I would greatly appreciate any information or insights before I go ahead and spend the money on this unit.
ihave one works good for me i using 10 inch for whites and lakers olso ihave honda strike mast 8inch also works great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03270.jpg (17.2 KB, 208 views)
Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 PM

My friend bought one in the spring for digging fence post holes and bought the auger extension a few weeks ago, we tried it for the first time last week it definitely isn't going to win a race but has a lot of power, started easily but wasn't crazy cold out but seems like it was bogging if we didnt let it warm up for a few secs.

The only issue I had with it was it seemed like it was unable to break through the last bit of ice and would spin out in your hands tripping the safety arm...if you managed to hold on it would spin you around the hole...we are suppose to be heading out again on Wednesday i will take a video if we end up going. I'm bringing the jiffy too just in case it doesn't like the cold!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencapchew View Post
My friend bought one in the spring for digging fence post holes and bought the auger extension a few weeks ago, we tried it for the first time last week it definitely isn't going to win a race but has a lot of power, started easily but wasn't crazy cold out but seems like it was bogging if we didnt let it warm up for a few secs.

The only issue I had with it was it seemed like it was unable to break through the last bit of ice and would spin out in your hands tripping the safety arm...if you managed to hold on it would spin you around the hole...we are suppose to be heading out again on Wednesday i will take a video if we end up going. I'm bringing the jiffy too just in case it doesn't like the cold!
YOU haveto used fresh gas and ad some gas line antifreeze
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Banned

Cool jiffy or bust.

Find an old proven steel jiffy model 30 3hp. All day every day hands down. Look after it ,it will look after you. 5 yrs not one issue and it was purchased second hand 200$. Same plug same blade same reliable operation. If and that's a small if I ever need an other auger it will be the same mod 30 3hp . My5€
Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 PM

I have owned a model 30 for 17yrs. It has been looked after very well and not let me down. I drain the gass after every trip and have changed the plug twice. The only other maintenance is keeping it clean. This auger has started with no problem in -30C and covered in frost. It does have it's drawbacks though, it's heavy and a beast lol. If we are walking a lot, we take my friends lighter auger.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencapchew View Post

Thanks! It would be great if you could take a vid, would be very helpful if I could see it in action. Seems like there might be some slight issues, in my opinion a $1000 ice auger should run flawlessly.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klow View Post
I have owned a model 30 for 17yrs. It has been looked after very well and not let me down. I drain the gass after every trip and have changed the plug twice. The only other maintenance is keeping it clean. This auger has started with no problem in -30C and covered in frost. It does have it's drawbacks though, it's heavy and a beast lol. If we are walking a lot, we take my friends lighter auger.
Same here, got mine handed down from my grandpa. Not 100% sure on the age but its at least 18years old (at least as long as I've been able to make use of it). Always starts and runs all day.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker59 View Post
Same here, got mine handed down from my grandpa. Not 100% sure on the age but its at least 18years old (at least as long as I've been able to make use of it). Always starts and runs all day.
Nothing wrong with sthil for sure. Was going to get one myself, but I came across an old Jiffy 3.0, and for less then 300, couldn't pass it up. Used it several time so far and it works great. Love then built like a tank design. But you will never go wrong with Stihl!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:37 PM

For that kind of money I would go with a husky. A lot lighter but no good for drilling in dirt. I had a husky & sold it. My mistake.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Banned

Cool

One question, how much plastic does a sthil contain for near a g note .cause my jiffy got one piece, the fuel tank . If I removed my spark plug and gas tank I cold use my jiffy as a maul and smash that sthil to small pieces then put in my spark plug reattach my fuel tank and go back to punching holes in -30 . Plastic auger parts are a problem waiting to happen here in the near north. I love sthil saws have owned 3 over the year's , when it comes to punching ice "jiffy or bust"
Old 12-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
One question, how much plastic does a sthil contain for near a g note .cause my jiffy got one piece, the fuel tank . If I removed my spark plug and gas tank I cold use my jiffy as a maul and smash that sthil to small pieces then put in my spark plug reattach my fuel tank and go back to punching holes in -30 . Plastic auger parts are a problem waiting to happen here in the near north. I love sthil saws have owned 3 over the year's , when it comes to punching ice "jiffy or bust"
The old techumpsy motors with the adjustable carbs in the 3.0 were awsome, and yes they are easy to work on a daily adjust for any condition. How ever if money was not an option Ild take the Stihl, just saving Grand is hard to pass up...I wish the newer jiffys had the same robust, construction as the older ones, but the old guys do weigh a ton..that's. The trade off I guess. As for plastic a different metal the Sthil has a good combination, and I doubt the cold has any issue as they use them to test drill the ice roads in the north all winter long with them bouncing around in the truck beds.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
My Husky has plastic covers and they don't break in the cold that's ridiculous. It cuts down on wieght and there isn't any paint to chip and scratch off. If you need a hammer just go buy one don't use your auger!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
My Husky has plastic covers and they don't break in the cold that's ridiculous. It cuts down on wieght and there isn't any paint to chip and scratch off. If you need a hammer just go buy one don't use your auger!
Lol I would never use an incorrect tool incorrectly. Plastic gets brittle in the cold that's not an opinion . Throttle trigger is plastic if memory serves. 1000$ paper weight with one touch of my mate Murphy. Jiffy is mostly Murphy proof. Imo .
Old 12-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Lol I would never use an incorrect tool incorrectly. Plastic gets brittle in the cold that's not an opinion . Throttle trigger is plastic if memory serves. 1000$ paper weight with one touch of my mate Murphy. Jiffy is mostly Murphy proof. Imo .
I had mine out the other day it was -30 and didnt break anything. Its made of the same plastic as chainsaws, been running them for years in the winter and never broke anything. I dont throw my auger around either. I just dont see what your point is about the metal how it makes it any better.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Banned

Cool

Accidents happen, I fix mine with tools , no tool fixes broken plastic. Run saws in bush an never had a problem my self . Buddy had his sthil saw fall off the tailgate of truck . No saw for him that day . Just saying .
Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM

The plastic is just covers, the auger will run wihout it. Pretty sure the motor is aluminum lol. Nothing wrong with Jiffys, but you get what you pay for.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Accidents happen, I fix mine with tools , no tool fixes broken plastic. Run saws in bush an never had a problem my self . Buddy had his sthil saw fall off the tailgate of truck . No saw for him that day . Just saying .
Main components are all metal.... Plastic plays no role in the quality really. My Eskimo has plastic all over it and rolls around in my truck 7 days a week, haven't had a problem yet. The only major things that are plastic is the tank and throttle. And if you have any kind of problem it would be breaking the throttle off. A pair if vice grips could get you by in a pinch..Gas tank, not likely...Just my .02
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM

Default Strikemaster

That stihl should be a well made auger, have they been around for awhile ? I picked up the strikemaster lazer pro last year and its been a solid tool, never had a problem yet and hundreds of holes with it so far. Great performance too. I have a vid I will post of me drilling the last day of the 2011 season through 3'+ ice. Great tool worth mentioning

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/...D4608373C5.mp4

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I have a husky as well and have had it for several years. The plastic is extremely tough no matter the temperature. I don’t know much about them but I would suspect the Sthil wouldn’t be too much different. I understand the Sthil is more of a heavier duty auger built primarily as a post hole auger. Should be a cake walk auguring through ice.

I personally don’t buy an auger because it would perform as a good sludge hammer. It’s like saying a car from the 1970's would completely destroy a current model in a car accident because they “don’t build them like the use to”. An oblivious aurgument.

My first auger I had was a jiffy and it was a heavy poor preforming piece of junk. I replaced it with the Husky and have never looked back. the Husky is far superior in every way. I suspect the Sthil would be equal at the very least.

Last edited by Penner; 12-26-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I have a husky as well and have had it for several years. The plastic is extremely tough no matter the temperature. I don’t know much about them but I would suspect the Sthil wouldn’t be too much different. I understand the Sthil is more of a heavier duty auger built primarily as a post hole auger. Should be a cake walk auguring through ice.

I personally don’t buy an auger because it would perform as a good sludge hammer. It’s like saying a car from the 1970's would completely destroy a current model in a car accident because they “don’t build them like the use to”. An oblivious aurgument.

My first auger I had was a jiffy and it was a heavy poor preforming piece of junk. I replaced it with the Husky and have never looked back. the Husky is far superior in every way. I suspect the Sthil would be equal at the very least.
I totally agree the jiffy is quite heavy , performance wise from a quick Look at the thread I make 60 plus years of reliable jiffy operation from 4 posters. My point is simply for the 1000 $ a single sthil needs 60yrs of trouble free operation to be in the same class as a jiffy model 30.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Fish Gunner, once again I really dont understand where your coming from. I would really like to see this 60 year old Jiffy that still runs. I dont think Husky or Stihl need to argue about the reliability and performance of there motors. Anyone who has used a Jiffy and tries the Husky will appreciate their lightweight and ease of use. There really is no comparison. They are worth every dollar spent (750 to be exact) and I will have years of reliable use.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Yep have to agree that some of the older jiffys are pretty reliable and tuff, like mine....but sthil is a whole other class. My jiffy is 5 years old and works great, but weighs a ton and like to warm up first. I trust it and can disassembled and reassemble in no time....but having a new sthil in my hands....man I was Very tempted. Kinda like having a 16 foot aluminum boat with a 20hp motor and ya its great and all but it's no 18' duel console 115 Evinrude-tec with all the Riggins!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Yep have to agree that some of the older jiffys are pretty reliable and tuff, like mine....but sthil is a whole other class. My jiffy is 5 years old and works great, but weighs a ton and like to warm up first. I trust it and can disassembled and reassemble in no time....but having a new sthil in my hands....man I was Very tempted. Kinda like having a 16 foot aluminum boat with a 20hp motor and ya its great and all but it's no 18' duel console 115 Evinrude-tec with all the Riggins!
Well said. That being said just because you have a nice boat or a wicked auger, doesnt mean it will catch you more fish! For me I just really like to have good equipment.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Well said. That being said just because you have a nice boat or a wicked auger, doesnt mean it will catch you more fish! For me I just really like to have good equipment.
SOOOOOOOO very true!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Banned

I'd put my Eskimo 10" with the larger Viper engine up against an older jiffy any day. Never had a problem with it, I don't ever worry about draining gas or any of that nonsense. Anyone who wants to race let me know We will drill five holes starting with a cold machine. LMAO I'll be done before you've let that jiffy warm up.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 AM

What I woud like to do is organize some sort of an auger competition this winter when the ice reaches 3 feet. Do it on some sort of a point system. Have all things considered, ease of use, reliability, cold start up, drill speed, etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
What I woud like to do is organize some sort of an auger competition this winter when the ice reaches 3 feet. Do it on some sort of a point system. Have all things considered, ease of use, reliability, cold start up, drill speed, etc.
Don't forget a maintenence/breakdown event! How accessible is the plug, carb, pullcord, and throttle linkage. All the usual suspects which may not want to play on any machine
Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Don't forget a maintenence/breakdown event! How accessible is the plug, carb, pullcord, and throttle linkage. All the usual suspects which may not want to play on any machine
Good point, keep em coming! I think to be fair we would have to take all sorts of things into consideration. Not just who punches the hole quickest, allthough punching through 3 feet of ice in 10 seconds is pretty cool!