Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Crawling Valley Memorial

I was wondering if anyone knows who may be associated with the memorial at Crawling Valley Reservoir that reads Paulie(Pollie) on plaque. Reason being as I spent the afternoon on land taking pics while husband fished with kids. Alberta storms were rolling in every which way and I captured some extremely amazing photos with this memorial & storms. I would love to share them with the appropriate people. If you can be of help greatly appreciated, no rush not prying, if i don't hear back, it will be end of story! Thought with so many people on here there may be someone who knows. Thanks so much for any help!
Laura
Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Default Memorial Plaque

The story That I heard was that monument was placed there by the friends of a young man from Calgary who drowned while tubeing or swimming at that spot. It has been there for at least 15 yrs. For many yrs there were some sort of offerings left at the site (soccer ball, baseball glove, unopened beer etc.) I personally know of at least four other ex fishermen whos ashes have been placed in that area. I can think of worse places to wind up.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM

It was placed there by my brother-in-law and his friends years ago, they were all camping there and Pollie drowned while fishing alone I think. I'll give my brother-in-law a call and get the whole story, I'm sure him and his buddies would love to see the pictures.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:52 AM

His name was Kevin McDougall but known as Pollie to friends. There was a group of them camping in 2001 where the memorial is, today we call it Pollie's Point. Apparently he was shore fishing with hip waders and decided to float out on an inner tube without removing them. My buddy saw him not far from shore as the wind was picking up, 5 minutes later he was gone and the empty tube had drifted away. They spent the night and next day searching the shoreline for him but no luck, his body was recovered not far from the point a couple days later. There were many contributing factors to the accident but it's believed the main thing was the waders, they're pretty much impossible to swim in. Regardless of anything, it was a preventable tragedy that should serve as a reminder to us all. I never met Pollie but from all the stories I feel like I know him, another good one taken from friends and family too soon.

Laura, thanks for taking the time to post up and I'd love to see the pictures. I'll PM you my email address, maybe I'll get a nice shot printed and framed up for my brother-in-law.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Thanks for clearing up this mystery. I'm sure many people have wondered about the origin of the monument...... very touching.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Default Thank You To All

Big Thank You to everyone who read this post as I have received the right connections! Yes take this as a reminder everyone! I love it, Pollie's Point, will always call it that! Tight lines. Laura