Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Default Boat cover support #2

As promised
the remaining 4 photos for a boat canvas cover support
The photo showing a piece of plywood nailed to a two by four is my old method of a boat canvas support. Very easy to make. I cut a piece of plywood a little longer than I want, using a hole saw. make a hole to fit the diameter of the PVC pipe you're going to use,in this case I believe it is 1 1/2 inch of 2 inch, your choice. I then cut my tapper on the plywood to match the tapper on the canvas from the pipe to the edge of the boat. There again the tapper changes as to the width of the boat. The notch on the end of the 2x4 matches the inside, tightly, and is cut off just shy of the outside of the gunnel. Every thing is sanded really smooth or it will wear through the canvas in no time. In a 15 1/2 ft. boat I had 4 supports. The piece of rubber from an inner tube is to hold the pipe in place. One picture shows the PVC pipe is bent to go from the last support at the front to the gunnel and again is held down with a piece of inner tube. The PVC can be heated with a propane torch but goes from solid to melted in a flash so be careful.The pipe stops about 2 inches short of the motor. I do not use these supports when I am traveling as I believe they would come loose or fall into the boat because of the vibration and bumping while traveling. Don't forget they are just sitting there. For traveling you have to make some extra support for them. Hope all this helps. Again if you have questions just contact me and I will do my best to answer them. The blue things are my rod holders for fly rods.
Columbia old guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0268.jpg (44.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0270.jpg (32.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0271.jpg (46.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0272.jpg (23.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Bjay; 08-10-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: SPELLING MISTAKES
Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 PM

Damn fine idea - and looks like it is simple enough even for me ;o)

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here