Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Default pigeon mulhurst bay!!!

Im heading out this sat.....i was wondering if anyone is out....hows the ice...hows the fishing....im coming up from calgary and i am super pumped!!!

Any info would be great!!!!

Happy
Old 12-23-2015, 12:11 PM

Very slow this past Sunday and ice was around 10", some drove out but I wasn't brave enough...
Old 12-23-2015, 12:14 PM

boooooooooooooo......did u see any fish? what is i? all walleye?

tnx
Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Was at Mission Beach on Friday. About 8 inches of ice. Didn't see any whitefish. Started at 5 feet and went to 14 feet and still no luck. Saw one big pike all day.

You might be better off going to Battle lake west of Pigeon. Or Gull.

Best of luck to you.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Been brutally slow at pigeon.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:15 PM

booooo well i got no option......buddy lives on mulhurst bay......i gotta fish pigeon this year......

well ill just get wasted and watch movies i guess...lol

thanks
Old 12-23-2015, 01:36 PM

Its been years since I went deep water for whites on Pigeon, but it was always consistent.

Make sure you stop every couple hundred yards and check the ice depth until you know it is safe, but get out to 30 FOW. Wear a floater coat, have some rope and some big nails in your pocket in case you fall through, and go in pairs at least.

THEN cut lots of holes and move around hole to hole with a small Swedish Pimple or small gold Kastmaster. If you are coming from Calgary, stop in Red Deer and pick up some Wedding Bells as well.

Bang them off the bottom and hold it still for about a minute and then bang it off the bottom again.

There are lots of big whitefish these days in Pigeon compared to the runts we caught 20 years ago. The trick is to go slow once you get them near the hole as you will lose a lot right under the ice.

Straight out from the PP on the West side about 2 - 3 miles should be a good starting point.

The whites are there, and the shallows can be slow, but the deep is pretty consistent. The whites feed in the deep on a mayfly larvae that looks like a small black or red worm about 1 cm long.

Don't feel bad about posting pictures and telling people of your success. Most of our lakes have way too many whitefish, and now there is no commercial netting to thin them out.

I helped a fellow pull nets at Pigeon before it was closed for commercial fishing years ago, and it was common to count 60 - 100 whites per net when you were in the right area. Same thing goes for Calling Lake for net numbers as well, but I still have to figure out how to mimic the blood worms that those fish are always full of.

Drewski
Old 12-23-2015, 02:21 PM

Tried for Walleye at sunset on Sunday, just to the left of the white shacks at Mulhurst, no bites. I've caught Walleye and Jacks there in the past though. Was at Wizard Lake earlier in the day, Jacks were cooperative as always. No keepers.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM

well like i said.....i got a shack...its going around mulhurst.....nothing i can do about that......ill put the camera down.....open a beer put wood in the stove...open a another beer.... party and hope for a fish...lol

the cool thing is i hooked up a mini projector to my phone and from my phone is my fish phone...so ill be projecting a 60" screen live camera down the hole....

Dam im cool
Old 12-23-2015, 06:10 PM

I was at mulhurst yesterday and did well I caught seven walleyes and one 4 lb ling head out and hour befor dark and use a yellow or green jig head with a minnow about six inches off bottom and jig very light and often I just tap the tip of the rod for ten seconds and chill for a minute.

If you want to catch ling put the minnow two inches off bottom and try to find 8 to 12 feet of water the ice was 11 inches and held my explorer no problem but going on is up to you good luck
Old 12-23-2015, 06:37 PM

rap u duh man!!!!.....booya.....
Old 12-24-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapalaman View Post
I was at mulhurst yesterday and did well I caught seven walleyes and one 4 lb ling head out and hour befor dark and use a yellow or green jig head with a minnow about six inches off bottom and jig very light and often I just tap the tip of the rod for ten seconds and chill for a minute.

If you want to catch ling put the minnow two inches off bottom and try to find 8 to 12 feet of water the ice was 11 inches and held my explorer no problem but going on is up to you good luck
So you did drive on then. Ice has certainly changed a lot this past week. I found 11 inches as well and strong stuff too. Given the lack of snow and the colder temps, going to be a good ice year. I'm not sure if I would have the gonads to drive on like you though.
Still, glad it all worked out for you.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:58 PM

4 of us went out today. Caught 3 walleye an one fat pike. west o mameo. 7.5 inches of ice with some flood water. Started in 4 feet an ended in about 10. I was a little spooked to go farther. As the ice started to thin out. Snowmobiles would go by bout 75 yards away an the water was coming out of the hole. Didn't see any whites or perch. Saw a few more walleyed moving bout 3-4pm
Old 12-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw View Post
4 of us went out today. Caught 3 walleye an one fat pike. west o mameo. 7.5 inches of ice with some flood water. Started in 4 feet an ended in about 10. I was a little spooked to go farther. As the ice started to thin out. Snowmobiles would go by bout 75 yards away an the water was coming out of the hole. Didn't see any whites or perch. Saw a few more walleyed moving bout 3-4pm

Only 7.5 inches hey?? wow that's low.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:56 AM

I was out at the point to the West of Mulhurst. Drilled 8 holes total and 12 inches was the norm. Found 13 at best. Few full sized pickups and a camper out. Ice is very solid.

Caught 10 walleye total for a half day. Did not see one stinkin white
Old 12-27-2015, 10:01 AM

What presentation/technique worked for you on the walleye? What size did you catch?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I was out at the point to the West of Mulhurst. Drilled 8 holes total and 12 inches was the norm. Found 13 at best. Few full sized pickups and a camper out. Ice is very solid.

Caught 10 walleye total for a half day. Did not see one stinkin white
Anything over 50cm? I need to blow away my tags before I head south.
How deep were you?
PM if you wish. Thanks
Old 12-27-2015, 02:41 PM

One lure used only, small one inch spoon. Jigged constantly. That's it...no bait. The walleye are pretty much almost anywhere I found in the first couple of hours. After that I found structure out deeper. No magic depth, 9 FOW up to 18 FOW. Sight fished only. Most were over 50 cm including one that was pushing 60 cm. I did see some small 12 inch walleye that didn't go for it so that was nice too. I have tags but choose not to tag any yet...probably should have tagged the one near 60 but, meh...lots of time left.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:17 PM

i was west of the launch....by the point about 800 meters from the boat launch.....caught a eye at 2....then from 4 to 6 pm the bite was on!!...glow jig with smelt was hot.....didnt see any perch pike or whutes.....but caught some nice burbs....all went back in

pigeon is NOT dead!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 AM

Good stuff and congrats!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:04 AM

Good to hear guys and thanks for the updates! I'm going to head back out there Wednesday....
Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Good to hear guys and thanks for the updates! I'm going to head back out there Wednesday....
Me too!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:38 PM

8 FOW. 3 walleyes and 1 jack. Slow day
Old 12-28-2015, 08:38 PM

10 FOW....2 walleye. Did see a couple whitefish cruise by.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 AM

What areas did you guys hit and how thick was the ice?
Old 12-29-2015, 09:49 AM

As the title says, are - Mulhurst. Ice was 12-13"
Old 12-29-2015, 03:09 PM

Thanks, ice has thickened up a bit in the last week!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:01 PM

Default Pigeon

Was out at Pigeon yesterday ..... Was at the Prov Park at the drop off
In 18 ft of water . Caught one Walleye that was 4 cm to use a Tag on .
Saw 2 other eyes and 3 whites all day . Buddy's set up in 10 ft of water and had the same result .
Not the expected results but ...... Better than being at work .

See you on the ice !!!!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:13 PM

Headed out to chase whites tomorrow am...... Gonna find em this year. Anyone out lately been seeing a few cruising around? Thinking deep water but open to any ideas.....
Old 12-30-2015, 06:23 PM

Was out yesterday, not targeting whites, but saw a handle on camera. South of boat lunch on the little point in 11FOW.