Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 AM

Default Rooster Fish

HAs anyone been down south specifically for roosters? Im interested in heading down sometime. Where and when are the best times/places?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:26 AM

Default Rooster's...

I used to fish them a lot. I fished from San Jose del Cabo MX, up towards La Paz (think the world record is from close by)... Great Roosterfish all along East Cape in the Sea of Cortez. The months of May through to November are best for Roosters, but is also a great time in that region fo Tuna, Snapper, and Marlin. You don't need a big boat, a 23' to 26' panga is plenty (used to get one with a Capt. For $100-$150/day).Trolling live bait like Caballito, mullet, or Lady Fish works best. Really cool seeing the take on the surface.Nice thing is Baja is close,and you can still find 4star all inc. for under 1k, and the exchange is close between the MX Peso and the Canadian dollar.

Could recommend some good guys if you head down that way...

I have a few friends that have fished them in Costa Rica... Good, but also a lot more $$$...

Caution... The marinas are full of Bandidos... Beware of of the line "Hola Amigo, you wanna go fishing".... Lol

Last edited by surhuntsalot; 02-08-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:12 AM

thanks for the info. Just got back from San jose but it was just a vacation, no fishing this time. If rosoters would have been in prime season I would have went. Im an old pro at telling the guys that I dont like fishing, think its a cruel and inhumane sport, same with golf when they try to sell me on that lol. Id definetly be interested in your recommendations on who to go with.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 PM

I've fished them out of Cabo, Ixtapa, and Puerto Vicente Guerrero. Seems like Cabo you can find them all year long but no big numbers, Ixtapa and PVG are best fishing in the summer months. I don't agree with what the guides say about live bait, they say its best. If you have 2-3 people throwing top water it causes enough commotion that stirs them up really well. If you're by yourself and fishing is slow, live bait does work better. I had a really bad experience with the top guide in PVG, I cant in good conscience recommend him. He is kind of a fish pimp, if you could bypass him it would be ok.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Default Roosters on Flies

Have caught them on bait out of Los Barilles BCS but by far the most fun was casting flies with capable fly-fishing guides another hour further north. Check out Gary Bulla's website - he runs a first class operation at a reasonable cost and is totally focused on SW fly fishing - especially Roosters. Best on taken by our group last June was about 60 lb.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:42 AM

Following
Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM

if you go to Ixtapa...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=196840

Water temps are all over the place this year so watch that. Im heading to BcS in late June looking for some for myself.

Tight lines!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Hey FlYiNGuY, that's the guy we had problems with. A lot of people speak highly of Ed but I would think none of them faced any adversity with him. That's when he will show his true colors. I wouldn't fish with him again if he was the last guide on earth, but I sure would love to bypass him and fish with some of the guys he pimps out.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo955 View Post
Hey FlYiNGuY, that's the guy we had problems with. A lot of people speak highly of Ed but I would think none of them faced any adversity with him. That's when he will show his true colors. I wouldn't fish with him again if he was the last guide on earth, but I sure would love to bypass him and fish with some of the guys he pimps out.
Good to know and sorry to hear you didn't do well with him but I can't say anything bad, he has always bent over backwards for me/us. Last trip down he took me to his home to clean all the fish I had caught that day because it was too much to clean properly at the dock. That was after we stopped at the supermarket to buy a cooler to fly home with.
He has even told me NOT to fly down in he past when the fishing is crap..
I don't really see him as a guide, but more of a contact. Yeah maybe a pimp with the captains down there but it's with some of the best captains in the area. You can always book directly with them once you fish with them a couple times.
I'd like to know what went wrong if you don't mind? PM if you'd rather
Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 AM

I'll shoot you a pm with the down side stuff but the positive was that we got 12 roosters one day we fished with his guys and the smallest was 30+lbs and biggest was in the 60lb range. None of them were on live bait either! We were with Adolpho Jr and another guy. Amazing day fishing, probably fish the rest of my life without another rooster day like that.