Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM

Default Things to checkout in Grand Prairie

Heading to Grand Prairie from Wed to Sun for my sons hockey provinicals never been up there met never make it back. So just wondering if we end up with some free time what we sould make sure and check out. Also what are some of the good restaurants to checkout. Got all the outdoor shops to make sure and checkout from an earlier post.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM

I have always meant to check it out but it never seems to come together but about 20 years ago a whole 1/4 section IIRC sluffed in and dropped out by Rycroft.

Probably a steep sided pond now.

Majors in the prairie haven for fish and chips.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Default "big" stuff.

If you're into "Big" attractions...

There's a big sundial on the bypass at the Centre 2000 Visitor Centre.

There's a big beaver in Beaverlodge. About 50km west towards BC.

Huh... lived here for 8 yrs now and that's all i can come up with off the top of my head...
I gotta get out more.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

Beaverlodge Pub used to have a great collection of all kinda mounts and old rifles.They had a polar bear and a muskox and a WW2 .50 machine gun and a ton of pinball machines.Food used to be pretty good too.Been a long time since I was there so it might have all gone to hell,same as most things.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Lived there for 10 years, if your with the kids all weekend check out the zone sports grill, has multiple video screens that you and the kids can play virtual golf, soccer, hockey and baseball on. Food is ok, if you like chili dogs they have a good one. Also check out burger heaven for the best burgers in gp imho. The teryaki mozza bacon burger is my favorite. I'm not sure if they will still be playing, but the GP Athletics senior aa hockey team is in the league finals right now, so that's an option too.

For a night out without the kids, the canadian brewhouse, lions den pub, crown and anchor are all pretty good with your good typical bar food. The sundial and the beaver are about the only two major landmarks around gp, if you drive south on hwy 40 there is also a o'brien park to get out for a walk.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
I have always meant to check it out but it never seems to come together but about 20 years ago a whole 1/4 section IIRC sluffed in and dropped out by Rycroft.

Probably a steep sided pond now.
It wasn't a whole quarter, but it was a pretty big slide none the less. Blocked off the Burnt river and made on heck of a cool lake to go too. I think it lasted 3-4 years, maybe not even that long before the water cut through again and its now back to the pizz trickle it usually is...
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys made sure I put the names in my phone, That zone sports grill sounds like it would be alot of fun for the boys will diffently have to check it out.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 PM

We have a brand new Multiplex facility with swimming pools, lazy river, racquet sports and open gym. Spring skiing/snowboarding at Nitehawk, and cross country at the Wapiti Nordic Trails. O'brien Park, Muskoseepi and South Bear Creek Trails are nice places to go for a walk.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
Thanks for the info guys made sure I put the names in my phone, That zone sports grill sounds like it would be alot of fun for the boys will diffently have to check it out.
The word on the street is it's a better deal to rent the slot for 1/2 hr than to buy/use tokens.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy View Post
We have a brand new Multiplex facility with swimming pools, lazy river, racquet sports and open gym. Spring skiing/snowboarding at Nitehawk, and cross country at the Wapiti Nordic Trails. O'brien Park, Muskoseepi and South Bear Creek Trails are nice places to go for a walk.

Yes check out the Multiplex as it is attached to the Coke can (rink). So much stuff to do there.

http://www.themultiplex.ca/

Have fun and good luck with hockey.