Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM

Default Just a heads up

Just a heads up, was at winners today ,just a dynamite sheet sale ,

Think you'd get a second look if you showed up at your first

Clan gathering wearing the Teddy Bear collection ....
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Can you quote me when I said that?

I was pointing out Gustav's obvious & off topic axe to grind with Oil & Gas in Alberta.

Keep up Pesky, too much CBC is not good for ones mind!
Well neither is Fox News or the Sun.
He made one small staement and you took that as an excuse to launch.

Fact is that there are all sorts of businesses that are not colour blind in the board room and that includes the oil and gas sector.
We all know it... and some of us have seen it with our own eyes.
Apparently Gust is one of em.

For my part... I can't remember EVER seeing a non-white face representing them on TV in ANY capacity and that does make one wonder.... now that it has been brought up.

The real question though... is why are you so sensitive about it princess?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Just a heads up, was at winners today ,just a dynamite sheet sale ,

Think you'd get a second look if you showed up at your first

Clan gathering wearing the Teddy Bear collection ....
Are you making fun of my polar bear kilt ..that be racist.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post

For my part... I can't remember EVER seeing a non-white face representing them on TV in ANY capacity and that does make one wonder.... now that it has been brought up.

What does it make you wonder?

You pay attention to the skin color of people you see on TV? What does that say about you?

My Alberta is about the best man for the job. The color of an individual’s skin is meaningless.

No matter how much the New Temporary Albertan’s want to make it about some sort of politically correct, white guilt, Oil & Gas is bad thing.

If either you or Gust have some evidence of a "large drilling firm" or any firm for that matter; who "employs members of this board" & has racist & bigoted "internal executive policies" I am all ears. (And will be the 2nd person on the band wagon) Until then I will regard it as just another attack on Albertans & our industries.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:17 PM

There are thousands of minorities working in the Oil & Gas sector from CEO's to engineers to techs, tradesman etc. etc.

To say that so and so company is biased based on skin colour is just plain ignorant...
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
There are thousands of minorities working in the Oil & Gas sector from CEO's to engineers to techs, tradesman etc. etc.

To say that so and so company is biased based on skin colour is just plain ignorant...
How would it be ignorant to state this.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
How would it be ignorant to state this.
You're criticising the oilpatch. It's just not done.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Once again,, there is no critique of the patch just a critique of a policy in a company that may have been changed but the more I go back on it the more I think that it might still be in place.

My original point is that it's easier to attain a kkk vision in the workplace than as a club. Even moreso troubling is when that thought structure happens and is enacted from boardroom.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
Yeah until you get to that whole, "racial and religious integrity bit." Isn't purity a synonym of integrity?

Now where have I heard racial purity before?

This.

It's the same old steaming bag of KKK bovine excrement, only packaged in a thin multicultural baggie so you can't smell the poo so easily.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Oh my oh my....
I didn't realize it was sacreligious to critisize the patch???
But I can tell you this as sure as the sun shines.....there is plenty of BS that goes on in the patch....from the lowly workers to the top executives.
It sure aint peaches and cream....and that's as fact as a fact can be!!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned

How many of you know the involvement of the communists in the early years of Alberta?

Then there were the fascists. A lot of them fought in the Spanish civil war. A lot of them came home from the war to become school teachers.

Oh, and what about the black folks and Chinese . They came too.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Oh my oh my....
I didn't realize it was sacreligious to critisize the patch???
But I can tell you this as sure as the sun shines.....there is plenty of BS that goes on in the patch....from the lowly workers to the top executives.
It sure aint peaches and cream....and that's as fact as a fact can be!!!!
According to some around it sure seems to be.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM

Grey...

Wasn't there a Communist town government in the Crowsnest Pass. Read that somewhere - found it

Abstract
On 14 February 1933, the citizens of Blairmore, Alberta, elected a Communist
town council; this so-called Red administration remained in power until 1936. Best
known for their seemingly outrageous actions, the council exists within current
historiography as either the result of protracted depression or an example of the success
experienced by the Communist Party of Canada during this period. This thesis will
challenge both arguments, demonstrating that a series of social, economic, and political
experiences resulted in the election of known Communists being socially permissible by
1933. It w
ill be demonstrated that the agenda of council was not strictly ìCommunist,î
rather it represented a balance between radical and populist programs, thus enabling
council to challenge capitalist society while providing a practical response to the local
effects of the Depression. The deterioration of this balance by 1936, coupled with a series
of scandals, was resultant in the councilís electoral downfall.

Politics in Alberta have been everywhere at one point or another.

regards,

Don
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
What does it make you wonder?Why?

The question is...Why?

You pay attention to the skin color of people you see on TV? What does that say about you?

That I'm interested in fairness and objectivity?
To be honest I usually do not as a rule pay much attention to that but in retrospect... I don't know of any non-whites working in the patch or in Oil and Gas period.
I know quite a few guys that work in the industry ... all of white.
I know quite a few people of colour as well and none of them work in the Oil and Gas.
I merely stated that to be my observation.
Now... I know quite a few non-whites that are doing well in other sectors.
Hmmm... could it be the nepotism that the oil and gas industry is so famous for?
Perhaps its just my imagination?

My Alberta is about the best man for the job. The color of an individual’s skin is meaningless.

Right.... thats how it works.
Or... is it more like this....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...t=gifts&page=2

No matter how much the New Temporary Albertan’s want to make it about some sort of politically correct, white guilt, Oil & Gas is bad thing.

And who are these new temporary Albertans?
Oh!
You must mean the Oil and Gas folks... the ones from across Canada and from the UK and the US... to rape this province and claim they built it.
Gotcha!!
Bt the way... those attitudes are so in keeping with the people that have virtually ruined the only truely working example of multi-culturalism in Canada.... the west.

Otherwsie I don't know what you are talking about... my kin have been in Alberta I'd wager much longer than yours.

If either you or Gust have some evidence of a "large drilling firm" or any firm for that matter; who "employs members of this board" & has racist & bigoted "internal executive policies" I am all ears. (And will be the 2nd person on the band wagon) Until then I will regard it as just another attack on Albertans & our industries.

What a convienient response.
You must have been a Bush fan.

I love the way a simple observation and question is twisted into some sort of anti-patriot accusation.
Naturally... if you aren't humping Suncor's leg.... you are a BAD Albertan... what a joke.

I never claimed to have evidence but rather I stated that I thought that you jumped on what Gust had to say... with a bit too much haste.

Second... Who would have a chance to ask the question without you jumping down their neck?

And third... why should anyone be answerable to you?

Fact is you don't want that question asked let alone answered and THAT does more to harm Alberta and Alberta business than actually engaging in frank discussion ever would.
Maybe its the elephant in the room.
Maybe that question needs to be asked.... otherwise why resent it?

We are beginning to see that the Oil and Gas Industry has been dirtier than most in Alberta and more and more folks are beginning to realise it.
Why wouldn't that tendency to bull over folks extend to something as organic as bigotry?

Obviously you are an interested party and not comfy with that.
I understand.
Obviously you won't ask the question so Gust raised the issue in a small way.
Others might have had more to offer but... you work to shut down dissent.
Why?

It isn't about you... its about fairness and don't we all want an Alberta where...
"The color of an individual’s skin is meaningless..."?

In that light I would offer this...
According to your ilk... Alberta is all about Oil and Gas.
Alberta would be nothing without it.
It is the largest employer in Alberta and destined to save Canada from DOOM...etc etc.
If that is so...it natuarally follows that the question of bigotry in that industry not only should be asked but actually MUST be asked.

A real Albertan wouldn't be afraid of that question or reluctant to do something about it if he felt something was amiss.
Real westerners don't bury their heads in the sand or put the bottom line ahead of their morals.

I think I've said all I that have to say to you right now.
It is pointless to try convincing anyone dedicated to self delusion.
No hard feelings Sneeze... but you really do need to try to be more objective and not take every reference to oil and gas personnally.
JMHO.
Regards.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 04-29-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Grey...

Wasn't there a Communist town government in the Crowsnest Pass. Read that somewhere - found it

Abstract
On 14 February 1933, the citizens of Blairmore, Alberta, elected a Communist
town council; this so-called Red administration remained in power until 1936. Best
known for their seemingly outrageous actions, the council exists within current
historiography as either the result of protracted depression or an example of the success
experienced by the Communist Party of Canada during this period. This thesis will
challenge both arguments, demonstrating that a series of social, economic, and political
experiences resulted in the election of known Communists being socially permissible by
1933. It w
ill be demonstrated that the agenda of council was not strictly ìCommunist,î
rather it represented a balance between radical and populist programs, thus enabling
council to challenge capitalist society while providing a practical response to the local
effects of the Depression. The deterioration of this balance by 1936, coupled with a series
of scandals, was resultant in the councilís electoral downfall.

Politics in Alberta have been everywhere at one point or another.

regards,

Don
The west... but especially Alberta has been the birth place of countless splinter groups and to be fair political fanatacism.
Otherwise we'd have ousted those PC's a long time ago.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM

I'm guessing they wouldn't like me much. Being racially impure, the product of a mixed marriage, done my best to create more racial impurity, not sure how the Alberta's kkk think but I know the southern us ones aren't fans of Catholics so that be for me strike 3!!!! Lmao

As for racism in oil patch haven't seen to much, 15 years and can think of maybe 5 overt no imagination moments that I've been offended. That said a couple of those were over the phone without having met me ( I talk like a white guy when I'm talking to white guys lol). The point being not to many people start things with the bigger fellas, most of those types try it with the small frys.

Interesting stuff though, if I wasn't disqualified I would almost want to join.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
I think I've said all I that have to say to you right now.
Excellent!

I will give you a tip. If you type (quote) insert text here (/quote) you can make your responses a bit nicer to read. Replace the ( with [ and ) with ].

For example:

Quote:
I don't know of any non-whites working in the patch or in Oil and Gas period.
Then you must not be involved in the industry. I can't count the amount of Aboriginals & immigrants (whites & non-whites using your terminology - I don't describe people by skin color) I have worked with in my time in the industry.

Quote:
I know quite a few non-whites that are doing well in other sectors.
Hmmm... could it be the nepotism that the oil and gas industry is so famous for?
Nepotism. I have been seeing that word a lot on here lately. Did an AO search of the word "Nepotism". You need to expand your vocabulary Pesky, you over use it.

I am curious however if there has been any research done in regards to the Nepotism of the Oil & Gas Industry? Any papers published comparing its level of nepotism to that of other industries in Alberta? Or is it's nepotism famous just to you?

Quote:
And who are these new temporary Albertans?
Great question I am glad you asked instead of putting words in my mouth.
My definition of a "new temporary Albertan" is somebody that lives, works and hunts here and will not define themselves as an Albertan.

Quote:
Otherwise I don't know what you are talking about... my kin have been in Alberta I'd wager much longer than yours.
I didn't know we were comparing what was in our pants, but you probably win. Most of my family were dust farmers in Saskatchewan.

Quote:
I never claimed to have evidence but rather I stated that I thought that you jumped on what Gust had to say... with a bit too much haste.

Second... Who would have a chance to ask the question without you jumping down their neck?
You are correct. Next time I will wait at least 1 business day before replying to a thread I have read.

Quote:
And third... why should anyone be answerable to you?
Public forum. Nobody is forcing you to create witty retorts to the drivel I spew.

Quote:
Fact is you don't want that question asked let alone answered and THAT does more to harm Alberta and Alberta business than actually engaging in frank discussion ever would.
Maybe its the elephant in the room.
Maybe that question needs to be asked.... otherwise why resent it?
Yes that’s a fact! Wait... um. Actually I was looking for some facts in regards to a statement by another member.

Quote:

We are beginning to see that the Oil and Gas Industry has been dirtier than most in Alberta and more and more folks are beginning to realise it.
Source? Reference? What have we begun to see?

Quote:
In that light I would offer this...
According to your ilk... Alberta is all about Oil and Gas.
Alberta would be nothing without it.
It is the largest employer in Alberta and destined to save Canada from DOOM...etc etc.
If that is so...it natuarally follows that the question of bigotry in that industry not only should be asked but actually MUST be asked.
Okay. So ask it? Perhaps in the same post that you are asking about bigoted Oilmen perhaps you can give us a back story about this racism you have experienced, heard of, read about, dreamed about or saw painted on the door of a bathroom stall.

So far I am seeing you shining a light into a closet and finding clothing not skeletons.

So, after the long winded response to your long winded response:

What in the wide wide world of sports are you trying to say, ask, describe, figure out!????
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM

When I first started there wasn't nearly as many minorities as now. It was not quite rare but not quite common to see other visible minorities. Today you see the full spectrum, all types, all sexes all religions.
I've been told that in the older days it was tougher to get into and had to dig your heels in a bit, but society has changed so much for the better and so have people in that regard.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 PM

Default Clever answers?

Seems lke alot of bickering for a bunch of "men"...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

My folks had much to do with Edmonton "Silly hall" back in the 70's and 80's, Through their social contacts, my folks knew a journalist who did a story on neo Nazis in Alberta. The journalist answered his door one evening and was assaulted by a skin head type fellow, the assault cost him vision in one of his eyes.. From what I have heard, that type of thinking is still rampant in Alberta. I worked for a pressure vessel company about 8 or 9 years ago and while there, I saw much antisemitism and KKK stuff written on the stalls in the washroom.
It's nice to see many posts that degrade that type of attitude, but I think we are only fooling ourselves by thinking that all of that is gone.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 AM

The provinces with the highest rates of hearing racist comments were Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba/Saskatchewan at 74% each, followed closely by Ontario at 71%.

The highest rate of witnessing racism was in British Columbia (41%) followed by Alberta at 40% and Ontario at 32%.

As for those reporting a rise in racism in their neighbourhood, the province with the highest rate was B.C. (18%) followed by Ontario (16%) and Alberta (15%).

The results are part of an in-depth public opinion poll on racism conducted for the Association for Canadian Studies and the Canadian Race Relations Foundation.

The results are being released weeks after a Statistics Canada study predicted that by 2031 one in three Canadians will belong to a visible minority group and one in four Canadians will be foreign born.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
When I first started there wasn't nearly as many minorities as now. It was not quite rare but not quite common to see other visible minorities. Today you see the full spectrum, all types, all sexes all religions.
I've been told that in the older days it was tougher to get into and had to dig your heels in a bit, but society has changed so much for the better and so have people in that regard.
I agree with you here. I would say that the last 10ish years the oil and gas industry has opened their doors to anybody that wants to work. I think that within a few years we will see "non-whites" fill more prominent positions in the patch as well. Like, consultants, pushes, and higher corporate positions.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Not sure about corporate but I know quite a few consultants, pushes, field supervisors etc that wouldn't qualify for the kkk. But all of the ones I know are my kind of brown lol.

The racism study is odd, hearing and seeing racism are very subjective to viewpoint. If you heard the way me and some of my friends eviscirate each other, you would think what a bunch if insensitive jerks.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Banned

i found 5 orange "pips" ay my fishing honey hole today. think i'm being recruted.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I agree with you here. I would say that the last 10ish years the oil and gas industry has opened their doors to anybody that wants to work. I think that within a few years we will see "non-whites" fill more prominent positions in the patch as well. Like, consultants, pushes, and higher corporate positions.
Money always trumps ideals. People forget things like not working on Sunday and racial issues when there is money to be had. There is always an excuse to flip flop. Its no coincidence that an increase in minority workers coincides with a shortage of workers in AB and a resulting rise in wages and hurting of the bottom line. I can't think of many top dogs whether racist or not that wouldn't mind a flood of minority workers to keep the costs in check.

However I think protectionism and racism are often mistaken specially by the media. In Vancouver for instance there is a flood of rich immigrants from Asia. Locals hold some resentment but not because the immigrants are a different color and breeding with the locals or any purity or other ideological issue. They resent it because the immigrants are driving property prices through the stratosphere and putting pressure on resources resulting in locals being priced out of their homeland and forever changing the landscape. Its really not a race issue at all. It just happens that a majority of the immigrants in this case are a visual minority. Alberta with its flood or outside workers also has a healthy dose of protectionism and understandably so. Things have certainly changed for any local that has been around here for +30 years. I can understand some resentment in that regard. Times always change but that doesn't mean its easy to see the old ways die.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Grew up around it a lot in Caroline. Not much there now since Terry Long moved away but still has quite the rep around for it.
We used to take motorcycle day-trips through that area (Caroline/Ekville/etc.) ... I still remember seeing all the American flags dotting the countryside. When we asked the locals about all the US flags, no one wanted to talk about it. We used to call the area; "Little USA".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I'm sure the Clan exists or it simply morphed into Neo -nazis, skinheads or other White Supremacist groups....we have banned several from this board and I am sure there are others here that share the ideology
X2 ^
Be they newer members, or older members with new names ... they're still here, all right! Their posting tactics may have changed, but it's obvious that their ideologies haven't.

TF
Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
I'm sure the Clan exists or it simply morphed into Neo -nazis, skinheads or other White Supremacist groups....we have banned several from this board and I am sure there are others here that share the ideology
A nice euphemistic term used these days is "racialist". Same boogeymen with a nicer sounding name.