Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFisherman View Post
I'm hoping to find one of these on sale once hard water season ends. The weight and ability to just push a button and be drilling is nice. Also for when fishing the odd city pond, wouldn't draw near as much attention as the gas ones. When I bought it I swore I'd never hand drill again, so gave both hand augers away haha

The 8” Strikemaster is on sale at Cabelas for $637 right now. Regular $749.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 AM

Nice thanks, checking it out!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Default Strikemaster Auger Entension

Went out to the lake last weekend, noticed that there is in need of a extension for my strikemaster electric auger.

was wondering if anyone has a place for the extension in mind.

Thx.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 AM

I was at Pigeon last weekend and the ice was 32-34 inches thick. I drilled 40 holes with my Strikemaster 40V and the battery showed 1/4 bars left. That is a minimum of 1280 inches of ice. The auger still was drilling fine, but I’m not sure I would have got 10 more holes to hit the 1600 inches they advertise. It would have been close though.

Hope that info is helpful for anyone contemplating one.

SS

Old 03-13-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I was at Pigeon last weekend and the ice was 32-34 inches thick. I drilled 40 holes with my Strikemaster 40V and the battery showed 1/4 bars left. That is a minimum of 1280 inches of ice. The auger still was drilling fine, but I’m not sure I would have got 10 more holes to hit the 1600 inches they advertise. It would have been close though.

Hope that info is helpful for anyone contemplating one.

SS
Pffft... not even close to a 100 holes or 4 feet of ice.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 AM

Used the strike master last weekend. Finally drained a battery. 35 holes and about 35 inches of ice. Slushy too. Yep, no need for gas anymore.

About 3 groups came over to check out the auger and some tried it. No one could believe how good it cut and at 10 inches. There will be more purchased for sure by some of those groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2019, 06:14 PM

7 years ago I was completely fed up with auger issues.So I went out and dropped over a grand to buy a Sthil. Figured to hell with it as it will pay for itself over my life time as it will last my lifetime! so far, as expected it has operated flawless over thousands of holes, so thats cool, but......I would now, if I had to, go electric for sure as they have finally made it to the point where gas seems barberic...lol! maybe time to sell my STHIL POST HOLE AUGER, and buy an electric.....
Old 04-02-2019, 12:37 AM

Buddies electric quit after drilling 15 holes through 3ft of ice on a -30 day. Not to mention how much that thing moves around when drilling and the weight needed to put on it, i was not impressed. I've had a 35+ year old jiffy that hasn't missed a beat 5$ of gas a year and it drills hundreds of holes. Good thing i have 2 old jiffys, they'll out live me im sure.

Last edited by Jigger; 04-02-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:10 AM

Never put weight on it. Blades are probably done not an auger issue. Gas will do the same if dull. And no dont stand on a gas auger to put weight on it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Buddies electric quit after drilling 15 holes through 3ft of ice on a -30 day. Not to mention how much that thing moves around when drilling and the weight needed to put on it, i was not impressed. I've had a 35+ year old jiffy that hasn't missed a beat 5$ of gas a year and it drills hundreds of holes. Good thing i have 2 old jiffys, they'll out live me im sure.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Never put pressure on any auger like stated (gas or electric). If the auger is kicking up small chips vs nice big ones, it’s time to changes blades. But can’t wait for open water
Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
It would be helpful to post the brand you were using. There are quite a few electric options and some are better than others. I know the Eskimo units for electric drills don't have a centering point and they have a reputation for walking on the ice. I drilled 52 holes through 24 inches of ice in -30 before my battery was drained on my Strikemaster. Those temps do a number on any batteries it seems.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 AM

It’s funny. Brought the gas auger along as backup with extension. All it did was leak gas and stink up the back of the truck. Came within inches of needing it but the Stikemaster did it all. That proves to me it is the only auger needed for AB since it made it all season and never slowed down once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk