Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM

Arrow $736,000 for One Bluefin Tuna

http://crosscurrentfishing.blogspot....efin-tuna.html
With numbers like this, it's going to be harder and harder to curtail the harvest of bluefin tuna. Just a year ago there was a push to severely limit the catch or close fishing all together in an effort to save over fished stocks. Some experts were claiming the species was at a point of no return and unless the kill was halted extinction was inevitable.

MSNBC reported the price on this bluefin tuna at the first auction of the year at Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market. It's a record price too. It beats out last years record of $416,000 paid for one fish.

If you do the arithmetic, this years record breaking tuna comes to $1,238 per pound.

The record price tuna was caught just north of Japan's tsunami-battered coast. 80 percent of the Atlantic and Pacific bluefins caught are consumed in Japan so it stands to reason that Japan opposes efforts to close or limit the tuna harvest as means of protecting the species and increasing its numbers to historic levels.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
http://crosscurrentfishing.blogspot....efin-tuna.html
With numbers like this, it's going to be harder and harder to curtail the harvest of bluefin tuna. Just a year ago there was a push to severely limit the catch or close fishing all together in an effort to save over fished stocks. Some experts were claiming the species was at a point of no return and unless the kill was halted extinction was inevitable.

MSNBC reported the price on this bluefin tuna at the first auction of the year at Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market. It's a record price too. It beats out last years record of $416,000 paid for one fish.

If you do the arithmetic, this years record breaking tuna comes to $1,238 per pound.

The record price tuna was caught just north of Japan's tsunami-battered coast. 80 percent of the Atlantic and Pacific bluefins caught are consumed in Japan so it stands to reason that Japan opposes efforts to close or limit the tuna harvest as means of protecting the species and increasing its numbers to historic levels.
Not to take away from the topic.... but it did hit me funny when I saw the picture of the pickerel in your post.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 PM

So some rich Japanese idiot pays $500.00 per bite, who cares?

Yes of course every boat in the pacific will be targeting them, but there are only so many whale wars boats on patrol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM

I ahve no proablem with the Japannes paying this to eat Tuna as long as they dont run the speices extict and it can sustaine it self . all I know is as a nation they better be regulating this very closly but with my general knowlage of there culture they proably would rather run the Blue fin extinc witch is a crying shame .
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Default Tuna

The japanese have a lot of people to feed and not much land so the sea is their farm so to spesk. I do not agree with them. When I fished for tuna off of Cape Cod each charter boat was allowed I fish per day and the cost of the charter was $1200.00 so there was not many boats out. And they just pass thru there on their migration for a couple of months They should safe on this side of the world for awhile. Piker
Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
The japanese have a lot of people to feed and not much land so the sea is their farm so to spesk. I do not agree with them. When I fished for tuna off of Cape Cod each charter boat was allowed I fish per day and the cost of the charter was $1200.00 so there was not many boats out. And they just pass thru there on their migration for a couple of months They should safe on this side of the world for awhile. Piker
They are not safe on this side unfortunately. Many of the Atlantic populations have been annihilated.

As much as we'd like to think that the Japanese are the pillagers of the sea, we only need to look to our own coasts to know the truth.

Fishes are delicious.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM

I much prefer beef, as do 100% of my family.

I have eaten 4 walleye in my lifetime, my family none.

I have eaten far more salmon than anything else combined when it comes to fish, other than maybe fish and chips, which I think are cod and possibly tillapia (sp?)

Whales, tuna etc are safe from me.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-05-2012, 03:23 PM

we use to hopelessly try and hook Bluefin Tuna when I was a kid on our spinning outfits, but they were about the size of a small car. It was kind of scary to watch them chase schools of baitfish, knowing if you ever fell in they could swallow you whole.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmoTrutta View Post
we use to hopelessly try and hook Bluefin Tuna when I was a kid on our spinning outfits, but they were about the size of a small car. It was kind of scary to watch them chase schools of baitfish, knowing if you ever fell in they could swallow you whole.
Causeway or harbour?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Last I knew there was a quota at least on the Atlantic side, and not every blue fin is a big eye like the occasional monstor that pops up at the Japan fish auction.

I'd be more inclined to think a tuna that size came from the Atlantic and not off the coast of the Japans.

Just my two bits worth.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM

Default tuna

here is a pic of the one and only one I caught [img][jge]
Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

wow, nice one!

75kg?