Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 08:14 PM

Default Storing gasoline?

Hey guys just noticing the gas prices creeping up slowly. Any ideas for storing 4 or 500 liters of gas besides tidy tanks, they are almost a grand these days. Looking for a cheap storage option. I wouldn't mind taking advantage of 85 cent gas because you don't have to travel far from the city and it's 110 a liter or more. Thanks in advance I already know about stabilizers and octane and whatnot just wondering if maybe a plastic or steel barrel works and where a guy might find one cheap.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 PM

Bulk fuel dealers give away empty 205l drums. I had 10 full 10 diesel and 10 full of gas when fuel hit .65c a couple years ago.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-15-2019, 08:42 PM

Find a 1000ltr tote from somewhere and clean it out.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 PM

Steel or plastic make any difference? Thanks guys I'm on it.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 PM

Yes it makes a huge difference. It has to be the right plastic.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-16-2019, 12:18 AM

45 gallon (170 ltr) steel barrels with threaded caps. Manual crank gas pumps screw right into the cap hole.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 AM

Just curious because I not sure about plastics but what about the white cubes in the aluminum frame? I think they hold 250 gallons or litres? Lots of people use them for water but some are sold with chemicals in them. Would gasoline eat through those cubes? We have about half a dozen or more of them at the farm.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:01 AM

Please do not even consider polyethylene tanks housed in aluminum frames. You must have gas resistant plastic used for the red 5 gallon gas containers. Your 500 liters of stored gas will probably be watering your lawn. Only other alternative is 45 gallon steel drums or steel bulk tanks. Now even some bulk fuel haulers will not even fill old single walled still tanks, code now calls for double walls.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:12 AM

I've heard of the double wall thing for slip tanks transporting fuel, although I've never seen it enforced. Lots of farmers using the same tanks they have been for years anyway. But I have not yet heard of this double wall tank thing for storage in a stationary application? Is that a new thing?

Bulk haulers fill my stationary, single wall overhead tanks here anyway.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Just a thought, at our gas compressor stations and oil batteries we are not allowed to use plastic pails because they create a static charge. We use steel pails and they have to be grounded. Steel might be better, then again I never heard of a jerry can creating a charge so it might just be industry bs.

Last edited by curtz; 02-16-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
45 gallon (170 ltr) steel barrels with threaded caps. Manual crank gas pumps screw right into the cap hole.
hey red, you ever live in the arctic?
Old 02-16-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Hey guys just noticing the gas prices creeping up slowly. Any ideas for storing 4 or 500 liters of gas besides tidy tanks, they are almost a grand these days. Looking for a cheap storage option. I wouldn't mind taking advantage of 85 cent gas because you don't have to travel far from the city and it's 110 a liter or more. Thanks in advance I already know about stabilizers and octane and whatnot just wondering if maybe a plastic or steel barrel works and where a guy might find one cheap.
Not sure where you live, but something to consider is the potential fire hazard. In the city I believe there are regulations about how much fuel can be stored and where. On an acreage or farm I'm sure it would be different. Larger amounts of fuel stored in a garage that has caught fire are a very serious threat to fire fighters that are unaware of the danger. I get that you are trying to save some cash on fuel and power to you. I seriously considered the same thing myself a couple years back and abandoned the plan for the above reasons.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Not sure where you live, but something to consider is the potential fire hazard. In the city I believe there are regulations about how much fuel can be stored and where. On an acreage or farm I'm sure it would be different. Larger amounts of fuel stored in a garage that has caught fire are a very serious threat to fire fighters that are unaware of the danger. I get that you are trying to save some cash on fuel and power to you. I seriously considered the same thing myself a couple years back and abandoned the plan for the above reasons.
Not to mention, gasoline has a shelf life, deteriorates with age.

Grizz
Old 02-16-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
This is a great point. If I was planning to store a large amount of fuel I would store it in multiple barrels or smaller. Then keep using that fuel and rotating in fresh drums.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys I've found some new steel drums that will work nicely. I'm just going on a hunch and gonna purchase 500 or liters of this cheaper gasoline as I am planning a nice drive up thru the Yukon and possibly Alaska this summer. I have done my research on shelf life and stabilizers and octane degradation. I don't live in the city thank god and I already have the new style fuel vault slip tank but it's always full of diesel as I use it for work. ✌
Old 02-16-2019, 10:45 AM

I always ground my steel slip tank when filling with gasoline, diesel not as important.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Just a thought, at our gas compressor stations and oil batteries we are not allowed to use plastic pails because they create a static charge. We use steel pails and they have to be grounded. Steel might be better, then again I never heard of a jerry can creating a charge so it might just be industry bs.
Lot's of static discharge when filling plastic jugs of any type. Saw a jerry can catch fire when being filled in the back of a truck on a plastic box liner. Since that day, if I'm filling a jerry can at a gas station, it gets filled on the ground.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
This is also true with oil ,it's only good for several years then it loses viscosity.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
hey red, you ever live in the arctic?
Not in the Arctic unless you consider a couple annual cold weeks in Alberta to be arctic like.

On the farm in the 1960's & 70's we had a steel bulk tank for gas for the farm equipment but we used the 45's steel barrels out in the field to refuel. We kept one barrel for scrap oil after oil changes too.

I remember going to one moose camp up north and one fellow brought 2 - 45 gallon barrels of gas just so 2 fellows could drive the lease roads that week looking for moose.

I know further north steel barrels of gas still are a commodity and a welcome sight when the tanks are close to empty.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-16-2019, 11:26 PM

Didn't mean to start a rumble here boys...settle down. I originally figured steel barrels flushed out and filled to the nuts, stabilized and a quart of octane was the best option and I am glad I was right. It'll get used within a year for sure and i bet a year from now gas is 125 at least. As I said I'm going to the Yukon so who knows what that price will be but i guarantee it ain't 85 cents. I got it even cheaper with my safeway discount. Any of you guys planning a big trip or do lots of driving might consider the same...just sayin.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 AM

On the ranch 500 gallons lasted for 6 months or so, never had a problem but the tanks were filled in the spring and in the fall. Condensation is a problem. As others have stated fuel does have a shelf life but that gas conditioner stuff works well and keeps my gas usable over the winter so I can run a lawnmower in the spring...not sure if you could buy it in bulk so you could treat large amounts of gas or not.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:19 AM

Summer gasoline and winter gasoline have different formulations, refinery's are changing / tweaking formulation all the time, RVP's change, butane constituent etc. all change.

Aviation gasoline is much more consistent due to vaporization, temperature at altitude etc. issues so go buy a bunch of 97 Av gas, if you can??

I think it's a silly idea, if you storage say 1,000 litres and save $.10/l the saving seems insignificant.

Also there is no telling what retail gasoline will be going for this summer, demand up, demand down, if crude is in a surplus, refinery's get shut downs done with no issues etc. gasoline may well be lower, if mid west US demand down, Chicago market down etc. we will be down.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:42 AM

Bought my last diesel at 76 cents/liter. Now paying $1.30/liter in Edson. Just a cool $648 savings for my 1200 liter bulk tank.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Didn't mean to start a rumble here boys...settle down. I originally figured steel barrels flushed out and filled to the nuts, stabilized and a quart of octane was the best option and I am glad I was right. It'll get used within a year for sure and i bet a year from now gas is 125 at least. As I said I'm going to the Yukon so who knows what that price will be but i guarantee it ain't 85 cents. I got it even cheaper with my safeway discount. Any of you guys planning a big trip or do lots of driving might consider the same...just sayin.
Smart.
I did the same, couple thousand litres each of gas and diesel when it was .65c/L.
In December gas in North Battleford was $.084 and diesel was $.909 before discounts. I get 4% back on VISA and another 4c/L petropoints, old program.
I filled 20 jerry cans and a couple slip tanks when I was there a couple times. It jumped Jan 01 or I would have filled every container I had and picked up some more drums.

You have to take advantage of the savings when you can.
The only thing I hate is filling with jerry cans. They leak. I ended up using a transfer pump, much prefer it that way.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:16 AM

Beware of running avgas in a vehicle with a catalytic converter. Low lead avgas has 4 times the lead of regular car gas. I found out the hard way about 17 years ago. Arrived at a small airport via airplane. Mediocre GM product parked there was almost out of gas so I pumped in a bunch of 100LL avgas to get in to town. Catalytic coverter plugged up solid shortly thereafter. Wouldn’t even run. Had to cut it out and run a straight pipe.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Banned

I did this a couple of months ago when gas was still $.85.
Filled my jerry cans, 60 litres, more than enough to run my boat this year.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:29 PM

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I thought it would be best asking on this posting. Can someone elaborate on laws/bylaws concerning filling gas in a home made slip tank? Does it need some sort of certification/sticker applied to the tank itself.

I have filled this up many times and no issues till I filled at Costco this morning.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I thought it would be best asking on this posting. Can someone elaborate on laws/bylaws concerning filling gas in a home made slip tank? Does it need some sort of certification/sticker applied to the tank itself.

I have filled this up many times and no issues till I filled at Costco this morning.
I do believe I've seen signs at some gas stations around me that say fuel to be dispensed in approved containers only. That stops the smart ones from filling everything they can find that holds liquid when prices are low
Old 02-18-2021, 01:40 PM

We build fuel storage tanks here at my work, 2300L-50,000L
A $0.20 price swing on 50,000L is 10 grand...
I'll add, all must be ULC certified, which is quite the ordeal, I'm the ULC gatekeeper, and the rules/paperwork behind all that is insane.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:48 PM

Exclamation Company policy, no exceptions allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

Unless your fuel container is listed in the Costco safety manual, you are not allowed to fill it at their stations, period. Doesn't matter if you get it inspected and certified. Doesn't matter if it has a CSA, ULC, CE, etc. (ad infinitum) label; if it's not in their book, no gas for you.
I regularly fill my tank at Costco, I fill my European manufactured, NATO spec. 20L fuel cans at Petro Canada.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell