Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

Smile

Stinky you are obviously a realist, Russ I think for some reason you are offended by someone elses abilities. I doubt that is thier intensions at least it is not mine. At 15 yards with a 6 arrow round I would be hard pressed to make better than a 2 1/2 group. I have nothing to prove to anyone on a chat line, I have no reason to lie. I'm just giving my honest opinion and experience. Besides, trying to prove me right would be alot more fun. Shoot some arrows at 100 yards then tell me what you think. But if your shootin more than 3 at a time I'm not sure I want to hear about it.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
That's not the standard for the distance and if you can't make a 4" group @ with 6 arrows, you can't make 4" groups, simple as that.
and as someone who shoots zero paper and only hunts....thats more than ok by me.....as long as the first one is always a dandy....i might be able to shoot that if i tried, i just never try
Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Stinky you are obviously a realist, Russ I think for some reason you are offended by someone elses abilities. I doubt that is thier intensions at least it is not mine. At 15 yards with a 6 arrow round I would be hard pressed to make better than a 2 1/2 group. I have nothing to prove to anyone on a chat line, I have no reason to lie. I'm just giving my honest opinion and experience. Besides, trying to prove me right would be alot more fun. Shoot some arrows at 100 yards then tell me what you think. But if your shootin more than 3 at a time I'm not sure I want to hear about it.
Well Kurt if you can't put 6 arrows in a 4" group why would I think that after running 3 miles after a muley or an elk that you can 1 arrow right? Honestly?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Banned

Russ honestly I dont run then shoot at anything. As a matter of fact if Im not 100% in controll I will not take the shot. I let a 190+ buck walk at under 100 yards while I was sitting in a towerstand with a .280 rifle and steady rest that under normal circumstances at 300yds I can (and have) knock the lid off a thermos because it was the biggest buck I have ever had in my crosshairs on at a shootable distance. I stopped flinging arrows and gang shooting bullets a long time ago. I take pride in hitting my target and in the last 11 years I have missed one animal. Word. I have shot two animals over 50yds and they didnt jump till my arrow flew thru thier heart. I let more animals walk than alot of people see.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

nice to see someone else takin the truth to you russ

word (so classic)
Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 PM

practice twice as far as you plan on shooting in an ideal hunting situation...makes those shots subconcious and when youve practiced all summer at 80 yards, those 40 yard shots are a breeze...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
That's not the standard for the distance and if you can't make a 4" group @ with 6 arrows, you can't make 4" groups, simple as that.
Just out of curiousity how big of groups do I shoot? I thought I knew but obviously since you have never seen me shoot or seen me for that matter, you can give me the answer. I would like to go gopher hunting this weekend but now I don't know if I can even hit one.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM

Default Long shots

I regularly practice shooting out to 80yrds just because its fun and cool hitting the odd gopher that far, but last year I hit a nice muley buck a tad to low in the brisket at 42yrds, it was about 1 hour before dark and he bedded down within 50yrds. I waited as long as I could then snuck up for another shot, he stood up and started slowly walking away. Finally at 85yrds he stopped broadside and looked at me, I put my 80yrd pin just over his back and made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder, my arrow went right thru him and stuck in the grass 15ft past him. He went down within 30 yrds and was done. If I would have left him overnite the only thing I would've been looking for the next day with all the yotes around here would be rack.I shoot a martin firecat at 70lbs with 28" draw 390gr arrow at 292fsp and had plenty of KE to get the job done, hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 PM

i shoot tennis balls at 100 yards on dead calm days with 5th pin and pie plates at 125 top of my level just for fun and it is fun belive you me try it and tell me you didnt have fun
Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster7 View Post
i shoot tennis balls at 100 yards on dead calm days with 5th pin and pie plates at 125 top of my level just for fun and it is fun belive you me try it and tell me you didnt have fun
Are you sure you can do that? How are your 6 arrow groups at 100yds? I thought it was possible but first I have to shoot 6 rounds of 6 arrows to find out. Problem is, I broke one in a moose, lost one shooting at a chicken, shot two robinhoods and gave one to a friend. So now I only have five arrows left and I won't be able to buy arrows for a while.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Are you sure you can do that? How are your 6 arrow groups at 100yds? I thought it was possible but first I have to shoot 6 rounds of 6 arrows to find out. Problem is, I broke one in a moose, lost one shooting at a chicken, shot two robinhoods and gave one to a friend. So now I only have five arrows left and I won't be able to buy arrows for a while.
Give it a rest man.

What Russ was referring to is the standard at which archery groups are measured at 100 yards/ 90 meters. People who shoot Fita are prob the most consistent archers in the sport, weather you or I like it when someone comes on here claiming to shoot 4 inch, 10 inch, 1 inch groups whatever it is based on the Fita Standard. If you can group 6 arrows into 5 inches then you are shooing a 5 inch group. Now that being said the best shots in the world are not necessarily the best hunters in the world, animals make a person do funny things when it comes to show time. Like I said before I shoot as far as I can accurately to get better at hunting distances. the farther you practice the easier the shots in close are. the name of the sport is to get close to the animals, beat them on their own up close and personal terms. Grab a recurve or longbow and go after them if it is becoming to easy to shoot them at 40 yards with your compound.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:19 PM

"animals make a person do funny things when it comes to show time".

So true. My one & only buck fever experience happened last year when I couldn't even draw my bow at a beautiful mule buck as he walked slowly past me at 40 yards. I thought the bow was broken or something. Weird. I had to laugh at how stupid that was. I knew it was coming, sat & waited for it and had an absolutely perfect opportunity. It even stopped to watch me fumble. I usually take 3 animals a year and haven't had anything like that happen.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Trav;538645]Give it a rest man.

Your missing my point. I shoot 3 arrow groups and I shoot 4 inch groups at 100yds no matter what Russ thinks he knows. I don't tell people they are a liar unless I know they are a liar. I respect the opinions of others, but it turns into accusations I take offence. There are people that make what are thought to be impossible shots, and make them like Byron for instance. If Byron wrote about his shots in this forum, I'm sure there would be someone telling him "you can't do that". I did not know there was a standard number of arrows to be considered a group, that goes to show how much I know about competition shooting. I am a hunter and a dam good shot who can make a 4"(of 3) group at 100yards on a calm day no matter who doesn't like it. And stinky , I'm glad your out there shootin, I hope to get out in the next couple days and do the same.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Practice at whatever makes you the most proficient at shooting whatever game you are after!!! As an Instructor for the IBO we do not recomend any shots at game greater than 40 yards. That being said, PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE at whatever distance floats your boat. If I can shoot bottle caps @ 60 yards or greater, first time every time all the time, I am ready to practice some more. But when I can call a deer in less than 20 yards, there is no doubt in my mind, whether I can kill it without hurting it!!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 PM

your missing the point i do that for fun thats right for fun! i dont thinck i have anough balls to take a shot at an animal from that distance ever! i thinck 60yards is to far
Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Practice at whatever makes you the most proficient at shooting whatever game you are after!!! As an Instructor for the IBO we do not recomend any shots at game greater than 40 yards. That being said, PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE at whatever distance floats your boat. If I can shoot bottle caps @ 60 yards or greater, first time every time all the time, I am ready to practice some more. But when I can call a deer in less than 20 yards, there is no doubt in my mind, whether I can kill it without hurting it!!
nicly put blackwolf
Old 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

I think I'll try a shot at a mulie at over 70yds this year.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Default I do

I'll practice shots up to 100 yards with my compound, but when it comes to shooting big game, 50 is my limit. Depending on the variables though, somedays with the wind the distance of 50 even gets chopped down. Were bow hunters and we covette the close proximity challenge, but there are occasions where longer might be needed. In the end it's about a quick, ethical kill that we desire. I don't want to risk chasing game all over gods green earth with an arrow sticking out and have tourists trying to you tube me.