Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 AM

Anyone wanting i seperate season for crossbows has to have rocks in their heads.
I can understand bow only zones... but am totally against seperate seasons....but we don`t have a hunting space problem.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm Gun ( AR-15) parts just bolt on eh!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T234GhX5FVE

You need to drop this...line of B.S. One bow company made A $1500 Crossbow attachment for an Ar-15 Stock. That weighs 10 lbs, and is so bulky, it would be the equivalent of dragging your mother-in-law through the bush.

This bow company makes a 99% let-off where you could hold it at full draw, all season long....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-mHYKQqVTg

This company makes a Compound bow draw-free...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSHXs...eature=related

Technology's purpose is to make all things easier, it is inherent in the nature of progress.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM

In the store i work at we have a trac 10 the canadian verson . If you think it is an advantage over a axe or a dream season . Well you are wrong it is very slow to load, noisy, and just plain ackward kinda like all crossbows .
Old 06-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

lol Potty, why do we keep doing this??....must be a boredom related thing....

and to the last couple posts etc. the crossbow and compound have their differences but have about equal challenges to get the job done in the field on game.......as success rates with either tool are well inside spitting distance of each other
Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Just my 2 cents

I dont think greed is a proper explanation. what i think it is, is with more people trying to hunt the 248 and 210 WMU's, access is going to get very limited,and with all the new people approaching landowners, some landowners may just get fed up with allowing anyone. There for noone will be allowed to hunt. As well, with the increase in nubmers and decrease hunting areas, I feel that you will see more and more people accessing land without permission. Im not sure abut WMU 210, but in WMU 248 there is already an issue.

My other thought is, that most huntable land is already spoken for by hunters. so therefor there will be very limited allowance of new hunters in these areas. Most landowners like the idea of bowhunters, not gunhunters hunting in basically there backyards. I hunt on various properties that wont allow guns, just due to children and pets in the area. Well, not really sure about the X-bow part of it, i guess we will see. if it has been decided, lets move on and see how it goes before we get all upset.

I do think there will be a significant reduction of game animals in 248 and 210 right quick with the introduction of an increased hunting season for Primative weapons... the one benefit i see is the 248 tags will be usable sooner, allowing more time for the second buck....
Old 07-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

there seems to be a lot of panic and fear of what will happen in MY backyard. you mention 2 zones. you realize alberta has more than 2 zones right? its hard for some to see the bigger picture of whats going on in the entire province.

sigh....where are we here.....54 more days to sheep season.....
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
there seems to be a lot of panic and fear of what will happen in MY backyard. you mention 2 zones. you realize alberta has more than 2 zones right? its hard for some to see the bigger picture of whats going on in the entire province.

A tree has many rings, and perhaps the ring some people believe is the bigger picture isn't the outside ring!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:

and 45 days till my goat hunt if they ever get our application processed!
SG
Old 07-03-2010, 01:54 AM

Well, unless im mistaken, these are the only 2 MWUs that will be affected. or am i wrong in this?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabowhunter View Post
Well, unless im mistaken, these are the only 2 MWUs that will be affected. or am i wrong in this?
All Wmu's will be affected, but your right that 212,248, and 410 will be the hardest hit. Because the notion that Alberta's biggest animals live these zones, which isn't the truth, cause all trophy hunters would have already been Bow hunters.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Banned

an awful lot of trophy hunters are bowhunters. i dont see pressure increasing in the bow zones any more than any other zone potty. everyone who already has a hunting area somwhere in alberta is most likely going to hunt where they always have. i also think a lot of guys dont want to have to deal with the pressure of other hunters and trying to find a place they are even allowed in the bow zones.
its just a guess, but i imagine most guys who hunt with vertical bows now still will. at first there will be a new batch of guys (current rifle hunters) who think a crossbow can kill a deer no sweat at 100 yards, but once they figure out its still bowhunting, a lot of them will quit. i have seen it many times with bowhunters. they try it out and find it too hard and quit. i see the same thing coming with crossbows.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
an awful lot of trophy hunters are bowhunters. i dont see pressure increasing in the bow zones any more than any other zone potty. everyone who already has a hunting area somwhere in alberta is most likely going to hunt where they always have. i also think a lot of guys dont want to have to deal with the pressure of other hunters and trying to find a place they are even allowed in the bow zones.
its just a guess, but i imagine most guys who hunt with vertical bows now still will. at first there will be a new batch of guys (current rifle hunters) who think a crossbow can kill a deer no sweat at 100 yards, but once they figure out its still bowhunting, a lot of them will quit. i have seen it many times with bowhunters. they try it out and find it too hard and quit. i see the same thing coming with crossbows.
Isb, The pressure is already unbarable in the bowzone, Obviously you haven't spent much time hunting them. Landowners are already annoyed and some last year have shut everything down. Being able to hunt withing 1sec of the city limits of a populas of 1,000,000 can get crazy.

I can't wait to see the wounded game running around with '' arrows '' sticking out of them, cause we all know that most people can't tell the diffrence between an arrow and a " xbow Bolt" By the time they give up the animals I'm sure will suffer the most, and archers will be blamed.

Then we will have to tell people not only are poachers not hunters, but Xbows aren't archers.

Perhaps Isb, where you hunt there won't be an impact, cause the population density is low and the season for archery equipement is short??? It's not the cause where I am at!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 PM

pottymouth tell us were this has happened ! all these crossbow hunters sticking bolts in critters.

Fact is all you anti crossbow guys all spuw the same drivel . You have no clue what will happen you just imagine what will happen.

I sell crossbows to gun hunters for the archery season. Most are old fellas just wanting to add another element to hunting . And i don`t see a whole bunch of crossbow toten hunters.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealevel View Post
pottymouth tell us were this has happened ! all these crossbow hunters sticking bolts in critters.

Fact is all you anti crossbow guys all spuw the same drivel . You have no clue what will happen you just imagine what will happen.

I sell crossbows to gun hunters for the archery season. Most are old fellas just wanting to add another element to hunting . And i don`t see a whole bunch of crossbow toten hunters.
I'm not a anti xbow guy, just one that thinks there should be an xtra seperate season, and give everyone an xtra oppoturnity in a 3rd season.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

no potty, i dont hunt the bow zones around the 2 big cities. i dont believe for a second they are the best places to look for what i want. also i definitely dont want the hassle of begging and pleading for permission to hunt 20 acres. everything ive heard about it sounds very unappealing.
where i hunt, the archery season is 2 months long....plenty long enough that im willing to share. that goes for where i live and where i hunt.
the rest of your post is same old though. we get that you are afraid to lose your personal hunting area. i still think you are overly concerned about something that will likely turn out to be less annoying than you think.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 07-04-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
no potty, i dont hunt the bow zones around the 2 big cities. i dont believe for a second they are the best places to look for what i want. also i definitely dont want the hassle of begging and pleading for permission to hunt 20 acres. everything ive heard about it sounds very unappealing.
where i hunt, the archery season is 2 months long....plenty long enough that im willing to share. that goes for where i live and where i hunt.
the rest of your post is same old though. we get that you are afraid to lose your personal hunting area. i still think you are overly concerned about something that will likely turn out to be less annoying than you think.
Now for some of us that all we have, how many more people will come out with their xbows and annoy our land owners, or congest or area. you pretty much agree with what I'm saying for my area.

So realistically Isb, if we left the 3 bowzones out . There wouldn't be much of a debate for alot of us.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

if thats the route srd took i wouldnt complain. i still dont think it makes sense to view two styles of bows as different weapons when the results they produce are nearly identical. however i do feel for the landowners and the hunters thoughout the calgary -highway 2-red deer-edmonton corridor. i dont want to own land there and i dont want to hunt there, but thats my preference.