Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 PM

He does have a 70 yrd range out there but because of the snow we got the other day it's a little bit blown in. But I have shot out there befor and it was great being able to sight in that far
Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Went out to Swamp Donkey today. You guys were right, Martin is incredible and the trip was well, well worth it. Decided to get the Assassin. Shot it and was just blown away by the smooth draw and very quiet shot. Will definitely go back to Swamp Donkey in the future.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
Went out to Swamp Donkey today. You guys were right, Martin is incredible and the trip was well, well worth it. Decided to get the Assassin. Shot it and was just blown away by the smooth draw and very quiet shot. Will definitely go back to Swamp Donkey in the future.
Ive heard of people that are used to shooting super high end bows, switching and shooting the Assassin, once they gave one a test fire.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 04-06-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 PM

I've been eyeing up the assassin as well. What was his price on it? And did he have many in stock? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM

He's been selling em like crazy. I believe he sells em for about $550.
Not sure about stock.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM

I think the package was around 600, somewhere in that area.

See, as I mentioned in my other topic I was considering the APA Mamba, but honestly this Assassin just blew me away. Crazy smooth draw, and the near total absence of noise when shooting literally had me shaking my head. Before I shot it, I was actually leaning towards the Mamba.

I think he had some left, but I am not 100% sure..Give him a call, he is very, very approachable (more so than I had originally thought).
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 PM

Cool Martin

I have to say, I stopped going to Martin's.
I just couldn't stand how he talk's about other shop's and how poor there service is.
Sure Martin has great deals on stuff, camo, knives, calls but alot of the stuff Martin sells is cheap hunting accessories.
The last time I was there all he did was talk Sh*t about Lawrence at Accurate archery, and how Trophy book was ripping people off.
I had a buddy run into him at the sports show this year. Same thing there, all he did was talk about how bad every other shop was.
The warrenty thing burned me once at Swamp Donkey so that did it for me.
For what it's worth, I will happily spend the extra dollars at a reputable dealer.
When your out in the field you want your stuff to work, you shouldn't second guess it.
I purchased Some arrows off Martin awhile back, they where cut and in a box when I picked them up. When i got home with them and pulled them out of the box they weren't all cut the same length.
I'm sure Trophy book could do better then that. I know Pipestone did.
Rene in Athabasca is really good to.
I know a few people that feel the same way about Martin and how and what he sells, Martin isn't always willing to give reciepts.
How often do you think he likes to get auditted, especially on all thoughs cash sales.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264winnmag View Post
I have to say, I stopped going to Martin's.
I just couldn't stand how he talk's about other shop's and how poor there service is.
Sure Martin has great deals on stuff, camo, knives, calls but alot of the stuff Martin sells is cheap hunting accessories.
The last time I was there all he did was talk Sh*t about Lawrence at Accurate archery, and how Trophy book was ripping people off.
I had a buddy run into him at the sports show this year. Same thing there, all he did was talk about how bad every other shop was.
The warrenty thing burned me once at Swamp Donkey so that did it for me.
For what it's worth, I will happily spend the extra dollars at a reputable dealer.
When your out in the field you want your stuff to work, you shouldn't second guess it.
I purchased Some arrows off Martin awhile back, they where cut and in a box when I picked them up. When i got home with them and pulled them out of the box they weren't all cut the same length.
I'm sure Trophy book could do better then that. I know Pipestone did.
Rene in Athabasca is really good to.
I know a few people that feel the same way about Martin and how and what he sells, Martin isn't always willing to give reciepts.
How often do you think he likes to get auditted, especially on all thoughs cash sales.

Just my two cents.
understandable for sure
your definitely not wrong about how much he shoots down other shops, it is kind of annoying
but he knows his stuff, and hes willing to give good deals so i'll be going there until i have reason to go elsewhere
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM

he does offer good prices, but can be very difficult to get ahold of. i would rather pay a little more to know when i drive to the shop it will be open ... had him answer the phone one time telling me he didnt know why he was even answering during hunting season, that was enough for me. best of luck to him with a shop
Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck renagade View Post
whent out to swamp donkey today and picked up a bowtech invasion for $900 tax included.

what...my cuz got a bowtech invasion all set up with bells and whistles and arrows for $900 no tax ..lol just sayin
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM

Care to share where such great deals can be had?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM

Wink

$900 for an Invasion set up loaded and even arrows?? Where is this Chevy Van parked giving the deals???????
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemUltraMag View Post
what...my cuz got a bowtech invasion all set up with bells and whistles and arrows for $900 no tax ..lol just sayin
This is probably the cuz that shot that 200 inch whitetail but " he is a meat hunter so he left the head in the bush" and had is 87 GMC pick up going 280 km's per hour. Cuz used to date shania Twain before she go famous but broke up with her. Ect Ect.

I swear I think I knew this guy in high school. His cousin did everything
Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Does he sell recurves, or just compounds?

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Default bowtech invasion ready to go for $900??????

Are you sure it wasn't a "bowtech assassin" all rigged up and arrows for $900?... that sounds more reasonable.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Are you sure it wasn't a "bowtech assassin" all rigged up and arrows for $900?... that sounds more reasonable.
without arrows he sells the assassin all set-up for about $600
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM

Default Swamp Donkey

After hearing so much about him on this board I went to see him and talk a new Bow. A very knowledgable and congenial guy and easy to deal with for sure. Ended up ordering a new Bowtech Insanity CPXL. Looking forward to delivery day.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 AM

First time for me to deal with SD but I ordered a an Assasin SD for my son from wholesale and they couldn't get it so within 2 weeks SD had it. Showed up after a call to be sure he was around and picked it up that day. He brought my son in and treated him like a true hunter and let him shoot the bow right there to make sure all was good. Gave him a free hat, some other misc. geer and told him to keep good shooting form. It was a pretty straight forward deal with no BS. I would deal with him again for sure.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 PM

he bought it off a guy on kijiji
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Got proof
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Martin is a hell of guy with a great sense of humour.

Glad to see he is doing well.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Bought my 340 from swampy donkey, and anything else i need hunting related, Martin is a good ****. Anyone that buys anything from trophy book is on glue.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 AM

so im on glue
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 AM

Trophy book is a bunch of crooks. The store has gone down hill since Dan sold it. And they've lost some really good staff. I dealt with trophy book for 20 years now I won't even set foot in the store.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 AM

I was looking at buying a bow went to trophy book asked if I could shoot this particular bow I was told no because it had no rest on it and yes that was the last one of that bow that's great service went and seen Martin came home with my invasion
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montec View Post
so im on glue
i know
Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Trophy book is a bunch of crooks. The store has gone down hill since Dan sold it. And they've lost some really good staff. I dealt with trophy book for 20 years now I won't even set foot in the store.

Andy
X2 used to work for Dan Hungle, good guy.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 PM

Wish we had a shop in the Edmonton area that ranks up there with Calgary Archery Center.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Wish we had a shop in the Edmonton area that ranks up there with Calgary Archery Center.
ya good one
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Aint that the truth. I went to wholesale the other day to look at the truth 2 they have on sale. Well there was 4 staff standing there bsing with each other, I stood at the counter for 15 minutes and all they did was look at me like I was an inconvienece. Customer service is becoming extinct nowdays, it's sad really. Oh well their loss cabelas gain.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."