Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-21-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
What it comes down to is this, on a properly placed shot, the shoulder blade is NEVER in the way. EVER!
Yeah, but for those 1 out of 10 bowhunting shots that aren't perfect (YES I'm being sarcastic ), I'd feel pretty confident in a BH/Shaft combo that can pierce a barrel! Kindda makes moose sholders an option on a less than 'perfect' shot. I'm with Nek on this one.

Tree
Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 AM

TreeGuy - let me re-phrase so the shoulder blade lovers here understand it. Hitting the shoulder blade IS NOT a kill shot with archery equipment. It's a long ugly tracking job that will probably end very badly. I also think it's the biggest mistake cross over hunters make. They've been taught from day one to take out the shoulder blade, not sure why other than it causes a huge amount of damage. It IS not a successful archery shot, there's actually very little lung behind the blade. It works for rifle/ML because of the peripheral damage it causes through fragmentation or at the very least it disables the animal to the point of allowing for a second shot. This is archery, and for intents and purposes there are no second shots.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Smile Mechanical vs. Fixed blades

I use the Thunderhead 125 grain fixed blades. Used them since I started bowhunting and have been successful, so why change? They have harvested me deer and moose from 20 -60 yards with one hit on each animal. I like them and will keep using them.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Russ, I agree with you 100% on that point, but allow me to re-phrase also. Perhaps the only shot you have is on an animal quartering TOWARD your position. In that situation, I'd feel confident taking the shot due to the fact that my BH/arrow combination has been proven effective via the barrel test. I guess that's the point I was trying to make.

Tree
Old 03-22-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
. Perhaps the only shot you have is on an animal quartering TOWARD your position.

Tree
Then there is no shot, it's a pass. NO matter the size of the animal or the date on the calendar.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 PM

Comparing a barrel to an animal is like apples to oranges, but I think it would give me a nice measure of confidence in my BH if it could plow through a barrel and come out okay. I'm sure that there are loads of heads that would miserably fail the barrel test, yet still perform perfectly on an animal, even through the shoulder blade on a less than perfect hit. Probably some the other way around as well. I do like the idea of my BH being tough enough for the barrel though.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM

I certainly would not ever condone hitting a shoulder blade on an animal ever.

The barrell torture test is overkill. But I know the broadhead that survives a barrell will survive impact with a rib!...

witha bow you have to stay away from shoulder blade....

That being said i shot a trotting mule deer...(Long story) at 8 yards and arow smashed through the ribs an went through the legbone on the far side and continued on through the grain clipping of barley heads.

On my very first deer it jumped my string and had an ideal shot turned into a less than ideal shot. The arrow went through the hindquarters. the deer run away with arrow in his *****. i was absolutely sick!.... i recovered the deer after 30 yards. I found out that the arrow had cut the iliac arteries and broadhead was through skin on far side. it was a rocky mountain premiere and went through 5 and 1/2 inches of bone total in the pelvic region. One blade was cracked but intact. if the broadhead would not have been able to survive a barrel it probably would not have resulted in a dead deer!...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

yeah...you need a tuff broadhead if you like playin butt darts forsure

you walked right into that one nekred
Old 03-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then there is no shot, it's a pass. NO matter the size of the animal or the date on the calendar.

can't kill em if you don't shoot at em russ.....

at least thats the flipside to that story
Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Are you saying you would take a quartering to shot through a shoulder blade on purpose?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

maybe
Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you saying you would take a quartering to shot on purpose?
wouldn't really pay attention specifically to trying to do in a shoulder blade....but depending on the situation, range, type of animal, alertness etc. etc..........maybe

took a nice muley buck bedded quartering too....right through his heart and arrow imbedded 10" into bale he was sleeping up against....57 yrds with 420 grains, wasp boss bullet at 278 fps....worked out great

can't kill em if you don't shoot at em, my comfort level will no doubt be different than everyone elses....and everyone elses will be different from everyone elses too.....just pointing out the fact that you can't kill it if you don't shoot at it

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 AM

Here is some good reading for broadhead testing.
http://www.american-hunter.com/broad...dhead_test.htm

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 AM

heck they are making hybrid cars why cannot they make us a hybrid broadhead........lol
Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM

2 blade cut on contact broadheads have my vote. I prefer the ones with a single bevel to get the camming action and spiral wound channels on contact. I use 190 gr Grizzly El Grandes with the bevel set up at 30 degrees and shaving sharp. If they work on cape water buffalo... they should work on Bambi's dad. Simple design with deadly results.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 PM

I started bowhunting last year. I first used the mechanical blades Tekan2 they where shooting 6" to the left and 3" high compared to my field tips. This year I put on some muzzy 3 blades and they almost shoot the same as my field tips. I carry both with me, but I will use the muzzy fixed blades over the tekan2 mechanical blades this year.

I just hope this year I will be able to let one fly as I have yet to kill anything with my bow.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM

Shot a 4x4 Whitetail this year with a G5 Tekan 2. I only pull about 55 lbs, the broadhead broke a rib on entry, another on exit and was a complete pass through. I'd say it was tough enough. Can't complain about the blood trail and field point accuracy.
I use the G5 Montec as well. They have always shot the same as my field points out of the box, but I prefer the cutting diameter of the Tekan.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:31 PM

I'm a big fan of the tekan2 as well. The buck i shot last year was the same, broke a rib on the way thru, nice blood trail and quick kill.
I have also found them to shoot the same as my field points. I use 2- tekan2 and 2- G5 montec in my quiver. G5 for stalking and tekan2 for the treestand.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:27 PM

For you Tekan II fans out there, you should try the new G5 Tekan, I'v been useing the Tekan II the last 2 years and switched over to the new one the came out there year. Same field point accuracy and soild stainless steel constructions. The difference the cutting head is now 1/2" instead of 5/8" and the cutting dia is 1 1/2" dia standard. The blade retention is much better and they included a second steel O-ring so when the blades deploy they don't damage your inserts. Oh and they are 3 times sharper out of the box then the older style Tekan IIs. If your still a fan of the Tekan IIs if you hurry you might beable to get them cheap still from Bass pro or Cabelas they are onsale for discontinued item.

Pics of my Mulie i took on the 8th with the Tekans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o8 mulie.jpg (47.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

nice buck!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
For you Tekan II fans out there, you should try the new G5 Tekan, I'v been useing the Tekan II the last 2 years and switched over to the new one the came out there year. Same field point accuracy and soild stainless steel constructions. The difference the cutting head is now 1/2" instead of 5/8" and the cutting dia is 1 1/2" dia standard. The blade retention is much better and they included a second steel O-ring so when the blades deploy they don't damage your inserts. Oh and they are 3 times sharper out of the box then the older style Tekan IIs. If your still a fan of the Tekan IIs if you hurry you might beable to get them cheap still from Bass pro or Cabelas they are onsale for discontinued item.

Pics of my Mulie i took on the 8th with the Tekans
That's a Beauty!