Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Yes.. Nikon Riflehunter 1000 ..it will actually range moose a 800 yards.. and metal barns at 990 yards...... i range areas around my stand in advance, but anything past a 40 yard marker ill range ...should have time
Old 04-10-2015, 03:02 PM

Wellll..I thought there would be more young fella's that couldnt budget rangefinders...I know when I was young, newly married and had children I was lucky to afford a string for my bow....lol

Neil
Old 04-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckeyman View Post
#1 Yes
#2 n/a
#3 Vortex 1000
#4 When I set up in a spot I will range: trees, stumps, bushes, cut lines, to what ever to get an idea of my "situational awareness" to shoot. So "A"

On a side note I will range for funzies in camp and whatever.
I dont range before every shot when an animal is present for me, adrenaline is pumping and time is a factor I'm calulating in my head.
^^^ This.
I have the same range finder. I will also pre range objects around me and lots of times objects far away too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 PM

I have a Bushnell 800, helped me harvest my moose last fall but I get most use out of it when out target shooting my rifles. Only ever had the one chance to use it in hunting season so far (other than ranging objects from my treestand so I can ribbon them off as indicators)
Old 04-10-2015, 10:09 PM

Just bought a Vortex today at North Pro Sports. Looks and works great.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

Just doing a little survey Here on Rangefinders for the Bowhunters...

#1 -DO you Own a rangefinder for Bowhunting??- Yes/No yes

#2 -If NO!!! - Reason?

A-Cant afford one at this time!
B-Dont need one!!
C- Other-

#3 -If Yes... - Which Brand /Model Bushnell-Chuck Adams

A-

#4 -If yes.. -When hunting do you range everytime before you shoot or or do you just range objects prior for stands and blinds.

A- Only in Blinds and stands on objects at 20-30-40 etc yds
B- Range before every shot regardless. This
C- Have one but dont need it or use it much.

Thanks Gang

Neil
I'm primarily spot and stalk for mule deer and black bear, so not in a blind or stand
Old 04-11-2015, 10:00 AM

Leica 1600
For long pokes hunting with rifle( have ranged pillowed up yotes to 600 in the snow) my ol bushnell would never do that.
Will range various markers if sitting ground blind or tree stand.
Lowest a Leica will read is 12 yrds I believe.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 AM

anyone who is 3/4 good at golf and has done a fair bit of shooting as a kid on up should be within 20-30 yards out to 400yds or so

as for the close in stuff a good bird shooter should be spot on out to 60 yds or so at any angle

range finders are a blessing for the rest
Old 04-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Yes
A Bushnell 1200 ARC
When I get in the blind I range various different points so I know the distance before the animal shows up (Rifle and Bow)
And while spot and stalk I range before every shot
Old 04-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Default Rangefinder

Yes / Leupold B&C / Always use it for bracketing or yardage land marking for every stand or location.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:17 PM

I don't own one, and am pretty new to hunting, but I am a surveyor and pretty good at eye balling distances (seems as I measure things all day long) so I don't suspect I'll be picking a range finder up
Old 04-11-2015, 11:10 PM

1. yes
3. Vortex 1000
4. use it for anything past about 20ish.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:23 AM

No

B
Old 04-12-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Leica 1600
For long pokes hunting with rifle( have ranged pillowed up yotes to 600 in the snow) my ol bushnell would never do that.
Will range various markers if sitting ground blind or tree stand.
Lowest a Leica will read is 12 yrds I believe.
Lowest the Geovids read is 10

LC
Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 AM

Hunted without a range finder for a long time because basically they were not available when I started. Because of this I had to learn how to judge distance and with practice got good at it.

I do own a bushnell range finder now but only really use it for longer shots or if I find my self second guessing my self.

If I am hunting with my recurve I don't use it and 90% of the time if the shot is 30 yards or less with my compound I don't even think about going for my range finder.

Trust my judgement of range from the years hunting without one and believe this is a skill all bowhunters should work on. Sometimes things happen too fast to use a range finder or risk of spooking the animal is too high to use it.

Great tool to have and always recommend them to new bowhunters. For my self the range finder just gives me a little confidence on longer shots but if I forget it at home it is not a real lose.

Good to own 1 but I will always preach learn to judge distance without one as well. Batteries die, range finders get lost, range finders can pick up a twig giving you the wrong range and at times trying to range an animal will cost you a shot. Nice being able to get by without it if needed and know when you might be getting a poor reading.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:31 AM

1. Yes
3. Bushnell
4. B. Range every shot
Old 04-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Banned

Yes bushnell fusion one mile binoculars /rangefinder , I've ranged 1850 yards with this . It even tells me how many MOA to dial in for my shot payed 1200$ beats paying for a Leica or Swarovski
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Hunted without a range finder for a long time because basically they were not available when I started. Because of this I had to learn how to judge distance and with practice got good at it.

I do own a bushnell range finder now but only really use it for longer shots or if I find my self second guessing my self.

If I am hunting with my recurve I don't use it and 90% of the time if the shot is 30 yards or less with my compound I don't even think about going for my range finder.

Trust my judgement of range from the years hunting without one and believe this is a skill all bowhunters should work on. Sometimes things happen too fast to use a range finder or risk of spooking the animal is too high to use it.

Great tool to have and always recommend them to new bowhunters. For my self the range finder just gives me a little confidence on longer shots but if I forget it at home it is not a real lose.

Good to own 1 but I will always preach learn to judge distance without one as well. Batteries die, range finders get lost, range finders can pick up a twig giving you the wrong range and at times trying to range an animal will cost you a shot. Nice being able to get by without it if needed and know when you might be getting a poor reading.
Awesome advice...I also shot for many years before their invent and availibility...couldnt afford the first...size of big binoculars and bigger than my wallet...lol

I hope someone is enjoying the rangefinder I lost while chasing elk...better being used than a chew toy for some rodent...lol

Neil
Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 AM

Yes I do its brownish/Grey and accurate. Don't remember brand lol. Anyway I use it because it confirms the range I have estimated. One more tool to assist in making an ethical and fatal shot.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Awesome advice...I also shot for many years before their invent and availibility...couldnt afford the first...size of big binoculars and bigger than my wallet...lol

I hope someone is enjoying the rangefinder I lost while chasing elk...better being used than a chew toy for some rodent...lol

Neil
Everything I listed on what can go wrong has happened to me lol

With lots of practice it is surprising how good you can get at judging distance. It comes in handy out hunting and has earned me a lot of free beer from rookie archers lol

The free beer alone makes it a skill worth learning
Old 04-13-2015, 09:37 AM

1 - no
2 - A, but more so because I borrow one
3 - leupold 400 yard version (poor glass) and sometimes Zeiss (sweet glass but bulky...much longer range)
4 - A & B kinda... I test myself as I walk, set up, and sit. I'll range every shot if I can, but if I can't it's probably because I'm close enough it's too much movement or I have a good estimate (or pre ranged object nearby)
Probably wouldn't range within 30 yards, and mostly hunt in the trees so it's tough to find a clear shooting path beyond 20 so it's around my neck more for learning and the off chance I shoot into an opening from the trees
Old 04-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Neil

^thats funny... I did get into the first Bushnells that were the size of binos. They worked good and lent them to my SIL - never did come back to me and she used them for years. Eventually failed on her and she had to "upgrade" to newer, smaller versions.

And I agree - under normal hunting conditions, one should be able to range well enough to get away without a RF, but I carry one anyway. If I've got time to range my surroundings or the animal approaching, that gives me more confidence.

J.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:54 PM

Default multiple uses

1. Yes.
2. -
3. Bushnell Scout 1000 w arc
4. to pre range and to keep the young accompanying apprentices busy.

we play an inning where an exact guess is a home run, a close guess is a hit and a big miss is a strike. play to 3 outs. passes the time and builds skill in estimating range considerably. On the long ones they have to get the first number right for a hit and 2 right for a homer. keeps eyes on the prize and makes for fun question and answer.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:35 PM

Yes Leopold rx-1000. I use it to prerange spots around me, and then again on the animal if I feel I need to and have time just to make sure
Old 04-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Yes
Bushnell
I range as I walk around so I get used to estimating in case I come across something unexpectedly. I don't want to risk the extra movement and time when I'm in a shooting situation unless I have to.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

Leupold RX 600
Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 PM

I find the most effective way to learn to judge distance is with a range finder. We stump shoot lots while in the field. We locate a target , estimate the distance, then shoot it for that distance,then verify the distance with range finder.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:19 PM

Like a lot of older guys, I do not use one. I am confident in my abilities to accurately judge distances with in and further than my comfort level shooting distances. Guess its just something that we self taught ourselves because we didn't have these "modern" things to help us out. If you need a range finder then by all means use one. We all need to operate in our own comfort level and nobody should fault us for our methods or say their way is better.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
Like a lot of older guys, I do not use one. I am confident in my abilities to accurately judge distances with in and further than my comfort level shooting distances. Guess its just something that we self taught ourselves because we didn't have these "modern" things to help us out. If you need a range finder then by all means use one. We all need to operate in our own comfort level and nobody should fault us for our methods or say their way is better.

This survey was to determine just how many bowhunters ustilize a rangefinder and to what level...

As a member of the Bowhunter 3D committee it was my opinion that even thou I ustilize and carry a rangefinder myself, a bowhunter shoot is that place where one can sharpen their mental and natural range finding skills and also like yourself not everyone for several reasons has or uses one!

Many thought a rangefinder should be allowed and used, the committee thru a lentghly discussion and unamimous vote wanted the Bowhunter round to be a fun and learning adventure, and previous years of a rangefinder shoot was at a very minimal interest...end result was to try leave the rangefinder option out for these shoots.

The purpose of this survey was not to fault anyone for their methods, skills or rate of what is better...but simply to learn what level modern bowhunters utilize rangefinders.

Neil
Old 05-27-2015, 04:11 PM

Yes when circumstances allow. Mostly I use it to practice range estimation, to mark distances from my stand and when rifle hunting.

I have a Leica LRF-1000 and a Leupold RX1200 TBR DNA