Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-11-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
how long does the registration take ... so If I signed up today it would be good tomorrow or does it take a week
If you go to the SPFGA office in Sherwood Park, they'll give you a membership card right away. They are open til 4PM. You will also be able to get the electronic gate card at the same time. Phone is 780-910-4248: office is Suite #300, 33 Blackfoot Road. Glad you 're going to join us!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:53 PM

just talked to the nice lady that answered the phone and have it taken care of Thanks arrow dog ... looks like I will be out there on Sunday...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
just talked to the nice lady that answered the phone and have it taken care of Thanks arrow dog ... looks like I will be out there on Sunday...
Excellent! Course should be an interesting one. Hope to get the majority of the targets changed to some degree so should be new course for everybody
Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Ah, that makes sense now. I've had a couple of people ask me about it, so that's why I asked. Too bad it's not available to non members, I think a lot of people would have attended. Oh well, have a good time!
How much does a shoot typically cost that these people go to?
This is a "$60" event that includes free use of the range for the rest of the year. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me
Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 AM

I guess, if they offered memberships at the event itself. Can't see many people going way out of their way to get a membership, wait for the paperwork or whatever may be involved, and the like for a one day shoot. If you could show up and buy a membership as your registration I could see it working.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I'll be there.

LC
Wish I could join you, but I'll be bear hunting
Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I guess, if they offered memberships at the event itself. Can't see many people going way out of their way to get a membership, wait for the paperwork or whatever may be involved, and the like for a one day shoot. If you could show up and buy a membership as your registration I could see it working.

smartest guy on this thread.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
New memberships require the activation of an access card which is programmed using a computer in the SPFGA office in Sherwood Park by staff that know which keys to punch.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM

Could they not be mailed out at a later date if I bought my membership the day of the shoot?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Could they not be mailed out at a later date if I bought my membership the day of the shoot?
Suggest you call Membership at 780-910-4248 as they are the ones that could make such arrangement.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
New memberships require the activation of an access card which is programmed using a computer in the SPFGA office in Sherwood Park by staff that know which keys to punch.
Is there a mechanism to accept the monies for membership on the day of the shoot, and the prospective member fills out a form to be submitted the following week? The 3d chair will be at the shoot and could collect those things? Just a thought. I can see the participation increasing if this was a viable option as was mentioned.

Most of us pay $50-60 for a 1 or 2 day shoot of 3 rounds of 20 targets regularly. With kids being $20-40 depending. A family of will spend $100-150+ in entry fees. A general family membership for a year pales in comparison to what archers pay several weekends throughout the summer. It's a great value being a member at SPFGA.

LC
Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 AM

Post updated below.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 05-12-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:00 AM

I just spoke with the Membership folks and they indicated there were no provisions for the on-site sale of Memberships. They did accommodate one person yesterday by going to the office an processing a special request General so the person could attend . We need to keep in mind that the Office does not keep regular hours every day, so at this point, a special request must be accommodated by the Membership people making a trip to the office to open.
So, for those current non-members that are contemplating joining the club with a General Membership, best advice is to go to the website and follow the procedure to purchase ...

Last edited by 260 Rem; 05-12-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info 260. I can see the archery membership growing significantly once the secret is out . The "if you build it they will come" saying rings true for sure.

LC
Old 05-12-2016, 12:48 PM

Wish I could make it out but with the Fort Mac fire I will be working all weekend. Good luck everyone and have fun.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I just spoke with the Membership folks and they indicated there were no provisions for the on-site sale of Memberships. They did accommodate one person yesterday by going to the office an processing a special request General so the person could attend . We need to keep in mind that the Office does not keep regular hours every day, so at this point, a special request must be accommodated by the Membership people making a trip to the office to open.
So, for those current non-members that are contemplating joining the club with a General Membership, best advice is to go to the website and follow the procedure to purchase ...
the membership people were very gracious I thanked them for making time for me as the said they do not hold summer hours.
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 AM

I was curious, is there going to be any kind of prizes for the winners? Or door prizes? Or is it just for bragging rights? I'm still coming either way, I was just curious, because I didn't hear any mention of it on the thread so far. Or maybe I skimmed right past it?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 AM

We have come up with some prizes but decided to send most of the money allotted for this to the Red Cross Ft. McMurray fund along with all the other proceeds. Please remember that this is the first shoot this club has had in fifteen years and the focus is on fun and getting more members involved in the archery section Hope to see you there!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
We have come up with some prizes but decided to send most of the money allotted for this to the Red Cross Ft. McMurray fund along with all the other proceeds. Please remember that this is the first shoot this club has had in fifteen years and the focus is on fun and getting more members involved in the archery section Hope to see you there!
No worries at all on my part, like I said before, I'm coming either way. Bringing my daughter out too. She's pretty excited, we haven't shot our bows together for awhile. Part of the joys of working out of town. I do need to buy her a new bow soon though. She's grown out of the one she's shooting now. Thanks again arrow dog. Looking forward to the shoot this weekend.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:28 AM

Arrow dog messaged me, the shoot should be completed by 5pm for sure. Depends on number of attendees, might be done sooner.

LC
Old 05-15-2016, 04:54 PM

Thanks to Arrowdog and crew for organizing a challenging yet fun shoot at SPFGA first 3d shoot in many years. Lots of smiles and laughs. Ethan's a few quivers a bit lighter than they started. We had three generations of our family out shooting today. Great course and shot scenarios!

LC
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 PM

YES! Excellent job by all involved! The effort put into the course was evident everywhere, and the shot assortment was very challenging. Thanks for hosting!

Norm
Old 05-15-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Thanks to Arrowdog and crew for organizing a challenging yet fun shoot at SPFGA first 3d shoot in many years. Lots of smiles and laughs. Ethan's a few quivers a bit lighter than they started. We had three generations of our family out shooting today. Great course and shot scenarios!

LC
Even a few....not Ethan's....who the heck is Ethan? Dang autocorrect

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-15-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:40 PM

I second what lefty-Canuck said! Was a great time, it was good to meet a few new people in the archery community. Looked at my work schedule once I got home, and unless they change things up on me, my daughter and I should be there on August 21st for the next shoot. Might have my younger daughter there with us too! Let's hope we can get another 20 shooters out for that one!! It's a good time to get out and do some 3-d, right before bow season opens up!! Thanks again arrow dog, and crew!!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM

First 3D shoot and it was great to say the least. Awesome course that arrow dog and crew have set up there. Met some great people and had a good time. Thanks to everyone that helped to put it on!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:31 PM

Finally got home from the shoot today. Left today's course as it was for those who weren't able to attend. Maybe you'll get a chance to check out the hunter type shots we set up. Big thank you to those that attended. Made our efforts worthwhile to hear all the laughter and the odd cuss word!

Thanks to those from Leduc, Beaumont, Sherwood Park, Edmonton. Killam and Whitecourt that attended. Especially to our only peewee archer that was four years old and completed both courses with a big smile on her face! All the proceeds from today"s shoot will be sent to the Red Cross Ft. McMurray Fund.

Our next "official" 3D shoot will be on Sunday, August 21. Hope to see more members show up and join the fun!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:50 PM

How many attendees did you get?
Old 05-15-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
How many attendees did you get?
I think right around 20 total.

LC
Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 PM

Got a whoppin 19 archers show up which was kind of good as this was pretty much a test run for holding a 3D shoot. Archery has not been really promoted at the SPFGA in the past but hopefully more members will see and use the new course which will increase our attendance for the August 21 shoot.

Some members don't even realize the course has been improved yet while others looked at it and went out and bought their first bow!!
Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 PM

Nothing wrong with that number of people for essentially the first event at the club.