Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 07:11 AM

Has anyone seen the output numbers for the new Ford 7.3 gas.
HP and TQ ratings?
Or are they just not released yet by Ford?
Old 02-09-2019, 07:35 AM

They haven't officially released them yet but the rumors are that it will be comparable to the Powerstroke so who knows.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
They haven't officially released them yet but the rumors are that it will be comparable to the Powerstroke so who knows.
There's no way. Maybe HP could be close but not torque ratings.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:43 AM

The big three big gas motors need to rev to make power. The old ohv cast iron block motors made gobs of torque down low where you want it. This 7.3 will be just like that. I'm expecting 390ish hp at 5500 rpm and 475 fp of torque at 2400 rpm.

Lose the variable valve timing and the multi displacement system. Simple wins. Just because it's old don't mean it's broken.

Colin
Old 02-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
The big three big gas motors need to rev to make power. The old ohv cast iron block motors made gobs of torque down low where you want it. This 7.3 will be just like that. I'm expecting 390ish hp at 5500 rpm and 475 fp of torque at 2400 rpm.

Lose the variable valve timing and the multi displacement system. Simple wins. Just because it's old don't mean it's broken.

Colin
I agree that simple wins. But i think it's wishful thinking that torque is going to be anywhere near that number at that rpm. I have a feeling it will be at a considerably higher rpm. Which is why gas engines suck for towing a decent load.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:54 PM

Will never produce torque like a diesel. Should be 450hp and 525ftlbs
Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 AM

I don't disagree with you guys, but somewhere I saw a Youtube video where they were eluding that it was going to make "similar" numbers to the diesel.

It will be interesting to see what they come out with.

I've been driving Cummins powered pickups for 15 years. I don't really care either way. lol

Maybe while we are at it we should spread some other rumors?

Ford owns Cummins, pass it on...
Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM

pretty sure the new ford 7.3 with have VVT. It sounds like a very interesting powertrain combination for sure with the 10 speed. Im noticing more and more fleets dropping diesels because these modern trucks if left stock are quite unreliable. You dont see any big fleets deleting all their trucks and dropping warrenty across the board. If the new gas motors prove to be good i think it will be a very smart move. I would probably even consider selling mine. As for as the gm products go, If you guys actually data log these trucks they all knock on regular gas. timing will get retarded a few degrees potentially and you probably wont notice it at all. I tuned my truck for premium and quickly gave up on that extra cost and just run regular. gm's 6.6 should be pretty stout but like all stock things, allot will be left on the table. As long as they dont follow the gear ratio trends, these things need to rev. trying to tow at 1600 rpm when peak tourque is at 4000+ is a big fail.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM

How long before someone puts it in a Pinto?

BW
Old 02-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW

Too much weight !
Although.....this one has a 543 BBF

This one has a B9

Cammer

Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 AM

I was reading about the new gas 7.3 someplace......I forget the numbers but remember the power full on at 1800 RPM ?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 AM

I have a 5L F150 V8 2 wheel drive, I am one of those people that believe in V8's. I have a breather kit and duels. Power, unreal, coming back from up North, and limited to 90k max, got 26.5 MPG, US. went down South and was limited to 115k and got 25.5 MPG, US. Around town every time stand on it you watch the gas gauage go down. I am lucky to get 12 MPG, oh well. Needless to say I travel a lot. Don't know if this helps a lot but it is my experince.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hors...IahGCUj8x_MxpM

Old 02-15-2019, 05:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What’s the fuel economy on the 6.2?
If your asking that you can't afford it.....trucks drink gas like a fat kid eats chips.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If your asking that you can't afford it.....trucks drink gas like a fat kid eats chips.....
I have one and no it doesn’t.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
6.2 does not require premium fuel. We have one in our suv - good engine and surprisingly good on fuel.

I've also got a 6.0 liter in one of the work trucks, nice motor but hard on fuel. I'm sure this is the engine the new 6.6 will be replacing??
The 6.2L in my 15 Silverado needed premium....otherwise it pinged and detonated badly.

Some others say they dont need to....I did
Old 02-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
The 6.2L in my 15 Silverado needed premium....otherwise it pinged and detonated badly.

The last tow gm trucks I had were a 6.0 and an 8.1. Didn't notice any appreciable gain using premium. The 5.7 Hemi in my dodge definitely prefers the premium.

Colin
Old 02-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post

That's because those others probably have never owned a 6.2.
and have never read the Owners Manual or the sticker on the inside of the fuel fill door - or bothered to follow GM's recommendations.
And there isn't much a penalty to running premium in the 6.2. Mine uses
2 L less per 100 km on premium - so cost is a wash. Just way more power and running the way GM designed it.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I have one and no it doesn’t.
A fat kid or a truck?

Either way both are very well at consuming at a high rate....

Old 02-17-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Trucks in general or just the 6.2? Because my new F150 is averaging 24mpg in the highway and I say that’s pretty good for a 4x4 truck!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Trucks in general or just the 6.2? Because my new F150 is averaging 24mpg in the highway and I say that’s pretty good for a 4x4 truck!
Yup mine too....120litre tank well over 100 bucks to fill about 900-1000km per tank if I stretch it....drink away she does but I can afford it plus I like the room etc....my point is if someone has to ask the question if a truck is good on gas well then you should look at a smaller vehicle cuz when it's the size of a yacht, weighs more then a small armoured vehicle and has a big motor to boot I can't see anything else other then a gas guzzler when compared to other smaller vehicles....a little VW diesel might be worth looking at but we are albertans....which translated is native for truck.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Yup mine too....120litre tank well over 100 bucks to fill about 900-1000km per tank if I stretch it....drink away she does but I can afford it plus I like the room etc....my point is if someone has to ask the question if a truck is good on gas well then you should look at a smaller vehicle cuz when it's the size of a yacht, weighs more then a small armoured vehicle and has a big motor to boot I can't see anything else other then a gas guzzler when compared to other smaller vehicles....a little VW diesel might be worth looking at but we are albertans....which translated is native for truck.
What confuses people is the rather miraculous mileage some claim their trucks obtain. I am from the buy the truck you like camp. And don’t worry about the mileage.

As far as the numbers for the 7.3. It says in the video, somewhere between the current gas line up and the current diesel.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Well I never understood someone who wanted a 4x4 truck AND good gas mileage. Generally they don’t do together. Although I do consider what I’m getting now as excellent for a truck I bought it more for the capabilities and comfort then down the line fuel mileage.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post

That is really good !

My car get 6-8 MPG