Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Just found this on Aaron wiebe Twitter section don't know how to post the video anyway I'll be looking for one of these if I can find one with the two battery deal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190212-100352_Chrome.jpg (65.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190212-100400_Chrome.jpg (66.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post
4 ft of ice , with a 10 inch
That must be one hell'va auger , must have lots of power compared to the ION X
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,
I've been to the lakes in Winnipeg, way up north to some lakes in Saskatchewan,
Some of the toughest thickest ice going

My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead

This is the trouble with electric augers , we live in the cold north ,
I've had em all , gas , propane jiffy in a 10 inch , the Ion X

I love the electrics , but I just bought a new Eskimo P1 Rocket in Propane as a back up auger , why
Because the electrics don't have the balls or guts to do a fishing trip with a few guys , let alone 1 guy for a couple days

They great in the shack as no fume , if you only going to drill a few holes

But if you have deep ice , lots of holes and want a 10 inch ,in my opinion then I think propans still the best auger to own ,
Your call to make. I'll use my electric exclusively until the end of this year and likely end up dumping out the gas out of my gas auger. That is my guess. Let's see if it holds true. Punched 20 holes on Saturday through 20 to 22 inches of ice (guess). Still going strong. So your 450 inches of ice doesn't seem to add up. And, I really don't care because it just simply works well and no starting to worry about - it is instant. And this was in very cold temps. I may not have 4 feet to punch through in March but I suspect it will be significant regardless and do just fine. I'll report back though.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just found this on Aaron wiebe Twitter section don't know how to post the video anyway I'll be looking for one of these if I can find one with the two battery deal
There you go. Thanks for the post.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM

I've owned my Original model Ion for going on 4 season's now absolutely love it being a taller guy I installed the extension and leave it on as I found the auger a touch short to operate without it. I like that I'm able to quickly open old holes if I'm searching for perch or drill whatever holes I need to. I always have a spare battery in the insulated ION bag. You are SOL if it does Die so I typically adjust my tactics based on what I'm chasing.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
4 ft of ice , with a 10 inch
That must be one hell'va auger , must have lots of power compared to the ION X
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,
Forgot to mention as well, which is precisely why I did not even look at the Ion. I was never that impressed with what others said about it and seeing it in action did not improve my impression. If someone likes there Ion, great as well though. Maybe it works fine for them.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Yes I have. My son has one at the fishing shack. Nothing wrong with it other than it stinks and is loud as hell. Cuts good, starts good, not saying throw out a good auger to buy a new one. My old Jiffy was 30+ years old and tired. Was time for a new one and $500 is not bad even if it only last 15 years. I am able to carry it in the cab or store it it the house for security reasons. Each to their own. So far I do not think I will need a spare battery as it has not dropped more than one bar on the indicator during a trip. I bring the charger just in case but have not needed it yet. The guys were not sure about the electric until it drilled the holes in the shack now they are believers in the instant torque and no warm up period.
I don't question the cutting ability or whether there's a need for a spare battery.
i question the life expectancy of these expensive batteries.
Ever notice your fancy cordless tools don't seem to carry a charge like they did when they were new
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Yes I noticed that about fancy cordless drills that is why I store the batteries a cool place at 3/4 charge like recommended. So far my Ridgid lifetime warranty batteries are on their 6 th year and still going strong. I was willing to take a chance and if I have to replace a battery in five to ten years so be it. No big deal I think I can afford it as I do not make $800 month payments on a truck so I need to spend my money on something. $250 bucks over 5 years equals $4.16 a month. lol
Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 AM

Don't know about lithium but I've had a DeWalt 36 volt going on 10 years now working construction with it everyday just got to keep them charged and take care of them cuz they do cost three hundred bucks to repair replace, it would be ****y to replace a battery every 2 or 3 years
Old 02-13-2019, 08:10 AM

For those of you worried about buying spare Strikemaster batteries and the cost of them, the "Greenworks" 40v 4 ah batteries look IDENTICAL to the strikemaster except they are green and half the price.

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/pr...um-ion-battery

They also make a 300 watt power inverter for those looking to charge their devices, power led shack lights, etc.

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/pr...power-inverter

I also did a demo video with my Strikemaster 40V Lithium 8". This was my first time having it on the ice and I was impressed. My 12 year old daughter drilled a few holes with it. It's that simple.

https://youtu.be/noINLc6eD2M

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Yes I noticed that about fancy cordless drills that is why I store the batteries a cool place at 3/4 charge like recommended. So far my Ridgid lifetime warranty okbatteries are on their 6 th year and still going strong. I was willing to take a chance and if I have to replace a battery in five to ten years so be it. No big deal I think I can afford it as I do not make $800 month payments on a truck so I need to spend my money on something. $250 bucks over 5 years equals $4.16 a month. lol
And I can leave my 1 pound propane bottle at 3/4 too.. actually I can leave it at any level... and I think at any temperature... for any length of time...lol
I don't have an 800 buck truck payment either... guess for other than ice augers we have something in common

Last edited by Mountain Guy; 02-13-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:42 AM

I live in a condo and bylaws do not allow propane to be stored onsite. So you are not able to convince me to buy a propane unit. Nothing wrong with them they just will not work for me at this time. I can't figure why you have such a hate for electric. I better not talk about my Endura 50 Minn kota electric trolling motor I have on my inflatable. Lol
Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 AM

I've been going on 4 years with my 2 Original ION Batteries they have been through several -30 fishing trips. I charge them as soon as I get home and have never had an issue.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
For those of you worried about buying spare Strikemaster batteries and the cost of them, the "Greenworks" 40v 4 ah batteries look IDENTICAL to the strikemaster except they are green and half the price.

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/pr...um-ion-battery

They also make a 300 watt power inverter for those looking to charge their devices, power led shack lights, etc.

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/pr...power-inverter

I also did a demo video with my Strikemaster 40V Lithium 8". This was my first time having it on the ice and I was impressed. My 12 year old daughter drilled a few holes with it. It's that simple.

https://youtu.be/noINLc6eD2M

SS

I hope the reviews for the Auger Application are better than the ones for those Greenworks Batteries.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Default 10 inch

so just got the 10 inch strikemaster was debating on an extra battery but at 259$ pop do i need it? i like holes? bringing my gas with me to cold lake just in case but how many holes per battery?? wish they were still 100$ like one of the posts on here lol 40 volt 259$ thats chunk.......
Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tbigkid View Post
so just got the 10 inch strikemaster was debating on an extra battery but at 259$ pop do i need it? i like holes? bringing my gas with me to cold lake just in case but how many holes per battery?? wish they were still 100$ like one of the posts on here lol 40 volt 259$ thats chunk.......
Yea it was so cheap at cabelas last month i wanted to buy some but then i thought about it, maybe i shouldnt cuz i dont even have a strikemaster lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-14-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tbigkid View Post
I haven't used my 2nd one yet. It's still in the original plastic bag out of the box. I just charge up the main one when I get home.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
I'm still going to stay with my Jiffy gas till I see em work maybe someone will have one on my trip to Manitoba this March and April.
Keep your jiffy , if your only going to own one auger
I'll be on lake Winnipeg in march , give me a shout and you can test out a Ion X , A strickmaster electric , and the fastest auger the Eskimo P1 Rocket ,

Knowing what I know now , if I was to just have 1 auger only , I would own a propane ,
Just me and my opinion
Old 02-15-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Your call to make. I'll use my electric exclusively until the end of this year and likely end up dumping out the gas out of my gas auger. That is my guess. Let's see if it holds true. Punched 20 holes on Saturday through 20 to 22 inches of ice (guess). Still going strong. So your 450 inches of ice doesn't seem to add up. And, I really don't care because it just simply works well and no starting to worry about - it is instant. And this was in very cold temps. I may not have 4 feet to punch through in March but I suspect it will be significant regardless and do just fine. I'll report back though.
Quote:

Please do when you get a place with 4 feet of ice , 😂

And if someone's is looking for a good used electric to buy , I just happen to know someone selling one , a. Strikemaster
Old 02-15-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I live in a condo and bylaws do not allow propane to be stored onsite. So you are not able to convince me to buy a propane unit. Nothing wrong with them they just will not work for me at this time. I can't figure why you have such a hate for electric. I better not talk about my Endura 50 Minn kota electric trolling motor I have on my inflatable. Lol
I don't hate electric..
Like I said earlier...I prefer a cheap 1 pound spare over a 250$ spare battery.
A spare battery costing almost half of what the auger costs seems a little off to me.
And... nothing against Minn Kota....I own 2.
IF and when they they make a small boat engine that runs on 1 pound propane bottles ... and allow them on maligne, i'll be ditching the minn kota's too!!
Besides... isn't this a review thread?

Last edited by Mountain Guy; 02-15-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
IF and when they they make a small boat engine that runs on 1 pound propane bottles ... and allow them on maligne, i'll be ditching the minn kota's too!!
They already make propane powered outboards. Tohatsu makes a 5 hp and LEHR makes 2.5 hp to 25 hp. As you likely know, Tohatsu makes the 9.9 kicker motors for many of the big brands including Mercury.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

https://golehr.com/

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Please do when you get a place with 4 feet of ice , 😂

And if someone's is looking for a good used electric to buy , I just happen to know someone selling one , a. Strikemaster
I doubt it will be that thick this year around central AB. Most years it is not. But I'll try it out and report to those that actually care to listen
Of course don't take Aaron's vid at face values either
Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I doubt it will be that thick this year around central AB. Most years it is not. But I'll try it out and report to those that actually care to listen
Of course don't take Aaron's vid at face values either
Ive watched all his videos, maybe I missed him drilling all day into 4 ft of ice

Look on the strikemaster video they put out , on the battery with a 10 inch it will do 70 holes in 16 inches of ice , so that would be 35 holes at 32 inches of ice
Now jump that up another 16 to make it the 48 inches at 4ft , that would be around 17 holes in ideal conditions

Now add in the super cold of Canada, not some video down on 16 inch ice with the. Sun at plus 6 outside , that's just making a video to sell em.

Real world conditions in northern Alberta , sask, lake Winnipeg is like -20 , less power

I have not drilled with a 10 inch strikemaster, but I will be in a couple weeks
I have 3 augers myself at this time

My Basicly brand new ION X electric will be for sale , anyone want it now , give me a message , they are great augers them electrics , I just like drilling lots and lots of holes , and a 1 lb bottle of propane is like $5
Old 02-16-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Ive watched all his videos, maybe I missed him drilling all day into 4 ft of ice

Look on the strikemaster video they put out , on the battery with a 10 inch it will do 70 holes in 16 inches of ice , so that would be 35 holes at 32 inches of ice
Now jump that up another 16 to make it the 48 inches at 4ft , that would be around 17 holes in ideal conditions

Now add in the super cold of Canada, not some video down on 16 inch ice with the. Sun at plus 6 outside , that's just making a video to sell em.

Real world conditions in northern Alberta , sask, lake Winnipeg is like -20 , less power

My Basicly brand new ION X electric will be for sale , anyone want it now , give me a message , they are great augers them electrics , I just like drilling lots and lots of holes , and a 1 lb bottle of propane is like $5
I have 118 1lb propane bottles ill trade you for the ion.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Then you haven't watched all this videos. Everyone that uses mine for a day with me is wishing they had one by the end of it. If you bought a crappy Ion, no wonder. If your using that as the "stick" to compare to others. I was never impressed by them. As well, I would challenge your math on holes but I see that wouldn't help this discussion.

Stick to what you have. It is working for you.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Then you haven't watched all this videos. Everyone that uses mine for a day with me is wishing they had one by the end of it. If you bought a crappy Ion, no wonder. If your using that as the "stick" to compare to others. I was never impressed by them. As well, I would challenge your math on holes but I see that wouldn't help this discussion.

Stick to what you have. It is working for you.
Bla bla bla
Everyone that uses mine wishes they have one , your so full of **** I can smell it up here in northern Alberta

As for Challenge your math , 😂
Go drill some holes in 4 ft of ice and see if your strikemaster will last all day long like you stated , no excuses or bull**** that you can't find the ice ,

You only have to ask enough guides who make a living drilling holes in the ice up north or on lake Winnipeg , why they not running electric augers ,

Your limited to how many holes you can drill and they just don't got the power to last or drill all day long

Great augers for ice that is under 2 feet thick , all electric augers , none are better then the other , each has pros and cons
Strikemaster all made of plastic , handles and everything , throw that in the back of your truck enough in -30 and see what happens to it , shatters ,

I also own a strikemaster electric right now In a 8 inch ,

Putting it in the back of your heated SUV and driving to a lake and drilling in 20 inches of ice is a joke , you best go watch some more videos of your hero 😂
Old 02-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Bla bla bla
Everyone that uses mine wishes they have one , your so full of **** I can smell it up here in northern Alberta

As for Challenge your math , ��
Go drill some holes in 4 ft of ice and see if your strikemaster will last all day long like you stated , no excuses or bull**** that you can't find the ice ,

You only have to ask enough guides who make a living drilling holes in the ice up north or on lake Winnipeg , why they not running electric augers ,

Your limited to how many holes you can drill and they just don't got the power to last or drill all day long

Great augers for ice that is under 2 feet thick , all electric augers , none are better then the other , each has pros and cons
Strikemaster all made of plastic , handles and everything , throw that in the back of your truck enough in -30 and see what happens to it , shatters ,

Putting it in the back of your heated SUV and driving to a lake and drilling in 20 inches of ice is a joke , you best go watch some more videos of your hero ��
Yeah, Eskimo P1 Rocket, nice plastic handle for the pull cord. Can't wait for you to break that or the pull cord which Eskimos are famous for. Have fun with that. Oh and the great plastic casing around the propane bottle... Watch chucking that into the back of your warm SUV

Your auger works for you and mine is working for me. Leave it at that, Northern hero.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 AM

Wow this site is just getting too much,
Instead of everyone arguing about their augers why don't you all meet up and wabamun and do a test on your augers there should be a good to two and a half feet of ice out there by now then we can get a real reading on how these things work.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Wow this site is just getting too much,
Instead of everyone arguing about their augers why don't you all meet up and wabamun and do a test on your augers there should be a good to two and a half feet of ice out there by now then we can get a real reading on how these things work.
x2
Old 02-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Bla bla bla

As for Challenge your math , 😂

Putting it in the back of your heated SUV and driving to a lake and drilling in 20 inches of ice is a joke , you best go watch some more videos of your hero 😂
You obviously have an issue with electric power. So use what ever auger you choose.

Myself I will never have a gas or propane powered auger. I don’t fish the areas you do so I have no need. If I drill 6 holes a day I’ve drilled more than enough for my needs.

So take your attitude, head out to your lakes with 4 feet of ice and drill all the ice holes you want to.

BW
Old 02-16-2019, 12:19 PM

Can we get back on the rails please. I have been following from the beginning and for my own reasons would like to go electric and probably between ion x and strikemaster 40V. Just about pulled the trigger at Cabela’s sale yesterday when I saw all the plastic on the strikemaster. Let’s say it concerns me. I have used my friends ion x this season up to 20” of ice. Will it really bog down with another foot of ice? Guess I could wait and see to the end of season how it works out. Also when does fishin hole have their spring sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk