Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Question Wood stove wall tent stove pipe conundrum! - Updated

I feel like a kid that just can’t pass a simple test in junior high! I have a side exit deluxe wall tent, and a cabelas camp chef wood stove. Love both.

I am having a heckuva time getting the piping to work.

I’m hoping I’m not the only guy that hasn’t encountered this before. I have nesting 5” stove pipes, which means coming out of the stove is 5” and the diameter progressively gets bigger. Nesting pipe is important to me because with all of the wall tent and other gear space is a huge premium in the back of my pickup.

I really want to avoid having 4 or 5 stove pipes individually taking up space in the box of the truck.

To get the pipe out of the tent, I’m starting at around 23” off the ground for the surface of the stove. The stove jack is around 43” from the ground at the center.

I put an adjustable 90 right off the stove and then sloped out of the tent and because of the changing diameters due to the nesting I can’t get another 5” adjustable 90 to work. It just seems too flimsy and I don’t like having the pipe touching the edge of the opening in the tent. If I put the first section of pipe the top is too tall to 90 out of the tent. That section of pipe has the damper in it as well, so I’d have to find a replacement and drill new holes for the damper if I shortened it.

Maybe I’m not seeing the forest for the trees, but just wondering what solutions you folks have come up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3279 (1).jpg (72.7 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3280.jpg (55.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3282.jpg (45.7 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3283.jpg (55.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3284.jpg (53.2 KB, 283 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I feel like a kid that just can’t pass a simple test in junior high! I have a side exit deluxe wall tent, and a cabelas camp chef wood stove. Love both.

I am having a heckuva time getting the piping to work.

I’m hoping I’m not the only guy that hasn’t encountered this before. I have nesting 5” stove pipes, which means coming out of the stove is 5” and the diameter progressively gets bigger. Nesting pipe is important to me because with all of the wall tent and other gear space is a huge premium in the back of my pickup.

I really want to avoid having 4 or 5 stove pipes individually taking up space in the box of the truck.

To get the pipe out of the tent, I’m starting at around 23” off the ground for the surface of the stove. The stove jack is around 43” from the ground at the center.

I put an adjustable 90 right off the stove and then sloped out of the tent and because of the changing diameters due to the nesting I can’t get another 5” adjustable 90 to work. It just seems too flimsy and I don’t like having the pipe touching the edge of the opening in the tent. If I put the first section of pipe the top is too tall to 90 out of the tent. That section of pipe has the damper in it as well, so I’d have to find a replacement and drill new holes for the damper if I shortened it.

Maybe I’m not seeing the forest for the trees, but just wondering what solutions you folks have come up with.
Having that elbow on the stovetop dosent seem right to me,i would think the first pipe coming out of the stove should be straight then a 90 then straight out the hole.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned

Ok, I will take a stab at this..

We used the inside of our stove to haul the stove pipe.
If you don't want the pipe touching the wall, build your whole stove up a few inches with flat rocks or 2x4's?
I admittedly don't know much about the whole nesting thing but I see a scenario crying out for a straight up pipe, 90 degrees out, straight pipe, 90 degrees up and then another straight. Seems a tin smith could custom make this stuff for you.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Having that elbow on the stovetop dosent seem right to me,i would think the first pipe coming out of the stove should be straight then a 90 then straight out the hole.
Galvanized pipe is a no, no, as well. Get proper stove pipe. Your stove seems awful close to the front wall as well. That set up wouldn't be my cup of tea. You need height to create draft, I don't see a way of getting it here. the nesting pipe should get smaller with length as well.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 02-17-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was my original intent, but if I put the 90 on top of the first section I'm too high to get out of the stove jack in the wall. I could trim the pipe If I knew what I was doing to re-create the crimps at the connection point. This first pipe also has the adjustable damper.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Galvanized pipe is a no, no, as well. Get proper stove pipe.

Grizz
I was just using the galvanized 90's for a mockup. Still trying to find proper pipe stove for the 90's.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:18 PM

Default Tent stove

What Fish said, straight pipe out of the stove ( may have to cut to length), 90 elbow then straight out the hole another 90 and then straight up. Should solve any issues.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
What Fish said, straight pipe out of the stove ( may have to cut to length), 90 elbow then straight out the hole another 90 and then straight up. Should solve any issues.
That's my goal, but my execution is less than steller!

I've been to 7 different stores to find non-galvanized stove pipe adjustable 90's..... in the size I need.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was my original intent, but if I put the 90 on top of the first section I'm too high to get out of the stove jack in the wall. I could trim the pipe If I knew what I was doing to re-create the crimps at the connection point. This first pipe also has the adjustable damper.
If you have to cut the first pipe the do it with tin snips,you may have to buy or borrow crimpers.usually the pipe is crimped on one end and straight on the other,so cut off at the straight end,oniy one cut is needed.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:40 PM

I could be wrong, and most prolly am, but I can't remember finding 5"
stove pipe....
Old 02-17-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
That's my goal, but my execution is less than steller!

I've been to 7 different stores to find non-galvanized stove pipe adjustable 90's..... in the size I need.
I don't believe you will find an adjustable 90,and you don't need one, all you need is a standard one piece non adjustable 90,.besides you shouldn't use an adjustable 90 anyway because they burn out easier.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I don't believe you will find an adjustable 90,and you don't need one, all you need is a standard one piece non adjustable 90,.besides you shouldn't use an adjustable 90 anyway because they burn out easier.
can't get adjustable or non-adjustable 90's in 5" anywhere in Calgary. Driving me bonkers.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I could be wrong, and most prolly am, but I can't remember finding 5"
stove pipe....
6" seems to be the norm. I may try to just get a 5"-6" adapter right at the stove and go from there....
Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
6" seems to be the norm. I may try to just get a 5"-6" adapter right at the stove and go from there....
Did you try a furnace company?or go see a tinsmith and make the reducer to fit right on top of the stove and reduced or increased to your stove pipe size.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Maybe check at a farm type store (Peavey Mart, UFA Co-op etc.) for any of the chimney piping.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM

First things first you need a 5-6 in black drive pipe. Then I would build shorter legs for your stove to allow you to get a decent straight section out of the stove to a 90° straight out of the tent. Get rid of the nesting stove pipe and use seemed black stove pipe sections. Separate the seems for pack up and all your pipe stacks together.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
First things first you need a 5-6 in black drive pipe. Then I would build shorter legs for your stove to allow you to get a decent straight section out of the stove to a 90° straight out of the tent. Get rid of the nesting stove pipe and use seemed black stove pipe sections. Separate the seems for pack up and all your pipe stacks together.
The seamed pipe would seem to be the way to go to reduce storage space in the truck. I'll talk to a mechanical company I'm familiar with and do up a sketch and just have them custom make something for me.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:40 PM

Have you considered just going to a roof exit? It’s much easier and works better also imo.

I’ve bought 5 inch pipe at Home Hardware in the past.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:03 PM

Had the same kind of issue with my tent but ended up just getting some black stove pipe and living with the storage issues. Getting it set up a little better to utilize the nesting pipe has been on my to do list so curious where this goes.

One thing I will say is that I don't think you want to have a straight 90 up and out the side, I have drafting issues at times and imagine you would to. I emailed deluxe about it and they actually recommended the 90 elbow with an incline out the exit to solve that (like you have) and that is what I plan to do, just haven't put the time in yet to get it all set up.

Thought about getting a roof vent put in as well but really like how easy it is to throw the tarp on and get full protection for the roof.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Have you considered just going to a roof exit? It’s much easier and works better also imo.
I tend to agree with this...I also have a side mounted stove pipe exit and it has been a pain to use for the most part.....Before I use my tent again I am going to get a tent stove jack put into the roof so I can just go straight up with the stove pipe....A local canvas and awning place quoted me about $200 to do it.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I’ve bought 5 inch pipe at Home Hardware in the past.
That's where I got mine from.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
I tend to agree with this...I also have a side mounted stove pipe exit and it has been a pain to use for the most part.....Before I use my tent again I am going to get a tent stove jack put into the roof so I can just go straight up with the stove pipe....A local canvas and awning place quoted me about $200 to do it.

Jim
This the best option.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfton View Post

Jim
When I had my wall tent it had the roof jack for the stove. I also had an oversized tent fly made for it and put the stove jack in the fly. Used a good spark arrester and never had any issues. I had my fly made from a white tarping material so it didn’t effect the day light from lighting up the tent to much. The tarp also acted as a front porch. It allo extended 18 inches beyond the sides and rear of the tent.

The tarp protected the tent from tree sap and I could lie it out on the grass and pressure wash it clean.

BW
Old 02-17-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Galvanized pipe is a no, no, as well. Get proper stove pipe. Your stove seems awful close to the front wall as well. That set up wouldn't be my cup of tea. You need height to create draft, I don't see a way of getting it here. the nesting pipe should get smaller with length as well.

Grizz
I agree on the no galvanized pipe . If the pipe gets too hot poisonous vapors will be released. In a house only stainless is allowed with a wood stove. Strange why someone would make a galv nesting chimney . Maybe for propane ?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I agree on the no galvanized pipe . If the pipe gets too hot poisonous vapors will be released. In a house only stainless is allowed with a wood stove. Strange why someone would make a galv nesting chimney . Maybe for propane ?
Camper's village carries a good stock of stove pipe and accessories for wall tents.

Grizz
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Maybe you guys should "study up" on the use of galvanized pipe.. you guys just worry and nit pick everything to death... but i guess we are all entitled to our opinions. Carry on
Old 02-18-2019, 12:09 PM

People die from zinc poisoning.
Don't use galvanized vent.
I can't figure out why anyone would advise otherwise.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
People die from zinc poisoning.
Don't use galvanized vent.
I can't figure out why anyone would advise otherwise.
Take a watch.. Perhaps safer than we think? BTW.. If using Zinc coated stuff, please do more research than just this one video. If his tempers are backed up elsewhere seems like a usable product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iHfVmGWkxc
Old 02-18-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Camper's village carries a good stock of stove pipe and accessories for wall tents.

Grizz
Unfortunately they don't. That was the second place I tried, and didn't have hardly anything for stock.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Banned

Could always try site sponsor deluxe wall tents.

Tags
deluxe wall tent, stove pipe, wood stove