Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Guys i started this thread to talk about a bow not to have a big argument about jim shockey every thread started always turns into bad talking other hunters like come on guys if you dont want to talk about the bow then be quiet think what you want about him but keep to yourself everyone is allowed there own opinion
Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 PM

Canny,
Does Jim hunt with a bow or is it his prostaff? I'll be the first to admit that I don't watch bow hunting but I've never seen Jim shoot a bow or hunt with one. I saw one show that he did a introduction while holding a bow but he never hunted with it. Does anybody know?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Canny,
Does Jim hunt with a bow or is it his prostaff? I'll be the first to admit that I don't watch bow hunting but I've never seen Jim shoot a bow or hunt with one. I saw one show that he did a introduction while holding a bow but he never hunted with it. Does anybody know?
I know he did a number of years ago. I saw some video of him on a bear hunt but I'm not sure whether he does these days of not. Shockey's name is big these days and companies are putting it on off road vehicles, guns, trophy room construction, powder and bows. It seems to work in some cases and not in others. Consumers are fickle and consumers are educated. It could be a great bow, I'm not sure but as Jim is not known for bow hunting, you have to wonder about the value of his name on it but I'm guessing marketing people are far more savvy at that kind of thing than I. I'd give the bow a try and see how it fits you and how you shoot it and go from there.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Canny,

Yea he has shot some animals with bow..

http://www.alpinearchery.com/shockeyrhinospot.html..and darted others

Last edited by BrownBear416; 08-03-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM

There I learnt something today! Thanks!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:49 PM

it should not matter if he bow hunts or not alpine can still make a nice bow and put his name on it. it is a nice bow shoots very nice it did not matter to me whos name was on it only that it was half decent bow so i started this thread to see what other people on here thought about it i care not if jim acctually hunts with a bow or not
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannyHunter View Post
it should not matter if he bow hunts or not alpine can still make a nice bow and put his name on it. it is a nice bow shoots very nice it did not matter to me whos name was on it only that it was half decent bow so i started this thread to see what other people on here thought about it i care not if jim acctually hunts with a bow or not
Canny

I will look at my brothers tomorrow and see how it shoots he has one in stock have not looked at it to be totally honest, As I find the alpines to be a little heavier than I like but I will take a look tomorrow if it is still in the shop and try to shoot it and see what I think of it
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM

yeah try it out and let me know what you think of it
Old 08-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannyHunter View Post
Guys i started this thread to talk about a bow not to have a big argument about jim shockey every thread started always turns into bad talking other hunters like come on guys if you dont want to talk about the bow then be quiet think what you want about him but keep to yourself everyone is allowed there own opinion
Just got my issue of the AO magazine today and read sheephunter's article on all the 'hater's' out there. For those following this thread, pick up the magazine and have a read.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Well after reading the thread here for awhile i decided i would head down to our bow shop and just pick one up and try it for myself.

The alpine bow and the handle was to me also a little uncomfortable to get my grip on, but once i relaxed my fingers at full draw it felt real good.

Having the module system that they have they are easily changed out for draw adjustment adn the cams are a real good and stable set up.

The bow shoots amazingly quiet and very quick, once rolled over the let off was very addatable also.

The only down side that we can find on the bow is again on the backside of the handle is not wood, it is metal which in winter is going to be very cold to hold onto.

The design and shooting performance of the alpine bow is right among the top performers, hoyt,pse,bowtech. They are just starting to get more noticed in the bow market and with,jim shockey and having rocky jacobson jsut assigned to there list of guys that shoot em they should start to take off more.

Would i buy one , yes i would, and they make a great kids package also, a complete package for 450$, drop away rest and three pin sights, the bow is a good bow and i would shoot one.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:53 PM

yeah i felt the same way about the bow it shot really nice i just did not care for the grip on it was not at all comfortable unlike the bow i have now