Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 07:20 PM

Default Blr gunsmiths

Why the heck can't I find anyone. To work on these things, you mean to tell me they've been making for 30+ years and there's not someone who can adjust the trigger for me?? Lol anyways! Anyone know a guy?

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-24-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 PM

Try Dennis Sorensen and lots of money. He has done them very well in the past but claims he won't anymore, because he doesn't make enough for the time spent.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 PM

I always figured it is better to just accept it for what it is or sell it. Seems the law of diminishing returns is at play with BLRs. The triggers are expensive, but the dang magazines are way worse!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Try Dennis Sorensen and lots of money. He has done them very well in the past but claims he won't anymore, because he doesn't make enough for the time spent.

And you probably won't get him until after the season is over. Dennis is pretty much retired. Too bad...he is excellent.

Go to HuntingBC and PM Guntech. You might have to make it worth his time as said before.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:50 AM

I have done trigger work on them but as stated it is expensive .

It is slow methodical work and the window of error very small .

Its a matter of disassemble the gun ,work on trigger system reassemble ,over and over until final results are achieved.
They are not an easily disassembled and assembled gun .

Of course time is money
Old 07-24-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I have done trigger work on them but as stated it is expensive .

It is slow methodical work and the window of error very small .

Its a matter of disassemble the gun ,work on trigger system reassemble ,over and over until final results are achieved.
They are not an easily disassembled and assembled gun .

Of course time is money
Time is money, but money well spent,
Old 07-25-2016, 09:55 AM

BLR is NOT, NOT ,NOT a target gun, even with a 2 LB trigger. Even with a six pound trigger they will shoot under 2" very easily, most will hold close to 1". If that is too heavy for you to pull, do finger exercises.

To properly tune a BLR trigger is possible, I have done 2 of my own, but if I were doing it for someone else, I would charge at least $600 to do one, to cover the time and aggravation. If you want a truly great trigger on your hunting gun get something other than a lever or be prepared to put up Beaucoup bucks and still have a gun that shoots over an MOA.

If you want a better trigger on a lever that is not tube fed, try a Savage 99 or Winchester 88, both have much better triggers than the BLR to start with and are also far easier to tune.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM

Default BLR trigger

Was a real complaint with the rifle I have now,when it was new.I managed to refit a trigger shoe on it and it helped a little.Also it seems better to me after approx 500 rounds through it too.Must of worn in somewhat and It is smoother now.Kinda of a shame Browning doesn't fix this for us though.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
BLR is NOT, NOT ,NOT a target gun, even with a 2 LB trigger. Even with a six pound trigger they will shoot under 2" very easily, most will hold close to 1". If that is too heavy for you to pull, do finger exercises.

To properly tune a BLR trigger is possible, I have done 2 of my own, but if I were doing it for someone else, I would charge at least $600 to do one, to cover the time and aggravation. If you want a truly great trigger on your hunting gun get something other than a lever or be prepared to put up Beaucoup bucks and still have a gun that shoots over an MOA.

If you want a better trigger on a lever that is not tube fed, try a Savage 99 or Winchester 88, both have much better triggers than the BLR to start with and are also far easier to tune.
I'm not looking for a target gun, gun being new to shooting/hunting just like to cover my bases and ask questions that's all. Owning a gun that no one likes to work on doesn't seem like a great idea to me that's all
Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpipe View Post
I'm not looking for a target gun, gun being new to shooting/hunting just like to cover my bases and ask questions that's all. Owning a gun that no one likes to work on doesn't seem like a great idea to me that's all
Depends on what work you want to have done. Replacing barrels etc, easy to get someone. The reason the trigger is so expensive is the number of times you have to take apart and re-assemble the gun to get a really great trigger pull. There is no way to test the pull with the gun disassembled or partly disassembled.. It is very time consuming and fiddly work. Most guys will do it if you are willing to pay the price but hours = big costs. Most trigger jobs cost 1-200 so most smiths feel bad charging 500 bucks to do a trigger job.

This is a problem Browning should address at the factory.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
The BLR has been around for about 4 decades. Browning has seen fit to not change the trigger in this period, because it hasn't really effected sales one bit. Let's face the fact that the BLR with its 2 piece stock, barrel band and low tech lower comb stock, certainly doesn't lend the platform to being a uber accurate precision type rifle.

But.

That's not where the BLR is or ever was destined to be.

If you want an easy to carry, quick shouldering, fast pointing hunting rifle, the BLR is made to order.

Think of it like a LT series pick up truck.
Does a LT series pick up truck compete head to head with a SS series performance car. They both get you around, but they are in their own niches.

I see this as a fork in the road issue. Go with the BLR knowing it's niche. Perhaps invest in another rifle that fits more into the higher precision end of things.
Or!
Run what ya bring, and become proficient in the mastery of becoming one of those one rifle shooters, who everyone dreams of being.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 PM

Default Blr tigger fix solution

I got my trigger fixed by a German Master gunsmith at that Calgary shooting place just off MacLeod south of Glenmore. It was like $50 or $100
Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Depends on what work you want to have done. Replacing barrels etc, easy to get someone. The reason the trigger is so expensive is the number of times you have to take apart and re-assemble the gun to get a really great trigger pull. There is no way to test the pull with the gun disassembled or partly disassembled.. It is very time consuming and fiddly work. Most guys will do it if you are willing to pay the price but hours = big costs. Most trigger jobs cost 1-200 so most smiths feel bad charging 500 bucks to do a trigger job.

This is a problem Browning should address at the factory.
Really I heard of a smith in bc, who replaced the barrel/ did trigger work for a guy who wound up winning a 1000 shooting comp, I talked to him about it said he'd never replace a barrel again, it was a fluke chance that he got it right.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill 60 Kid View Post
I got my trigger fixed by a German Master gunsmith at that Calgary shooting place just off MacLeod south of Glenmore. It was like $50 or $100
He does really good work, he has done a couple of things for me when I lived in Calgary. If he is still doing them for that price it is far and away the best deal you will ever find. I would definitely be giving him a call.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
He does really good work, he has done a couple of things for me when I lived in Calgary. If he is still doing them for that price it is far and away the best deal you will ever find. I would definitely be giving him a call.
You wouldn't happen to have any more contact info on him would you?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:42 AM

Shooting Edge info as requested.

THE SHOOTING EDGE INC.
510 77 Avenue SE
Bay #4
Calgary Alberta, Canada
T2H 1C3

Tel. 403.720.4867
Fax. 403.720.8147
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday - Friday 10am - 9pm

Saturday 9am - 9pm

Sunday 9am - 6pm

Holidays 10am - 6pm
Old 07-29-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Shooting Edge info as requested.

THE SHOOTING EDGE INC.
510 77 Avenue SE
Bay #4
Calgary Alberta, Canada
T2H 1C3

Tel. 403.720.4867
Fax. 403.720.8147
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday - Friday 10am - 9pm

Saturday 9am - 9pm

Sunday 9am - 6pm

Holidays 10am - 6pm
He won't work on them. Lol man
Old 08-03-2016, 08:14 PM

Don't ever bring one to my shop!!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Don't ever bring one to my shop!!!!
That's the general consensus
Old 08-04-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
He won't work on them. Lol man
That's because it wasn't the Shooting Edge, but the Calgary Shooting Center. Google it.