Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Phil I would ask you consider the upside.

In my role as a real Estate Broker I'm forced to take mandatory training every year to stay licensed. I've noticed the only brokers that complain are the dinosaurs who need it the most. Mandatory training is way for membership to stay engaged and informed and up to speed. It also provides a lot of PR value about the professionalism of trapping to the public.

Yes it'll cause some grief in the ramp up but long term it's essential for the survival of trapping I believe.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:10 PM

I agree Brian and i am not against it. But again I will say if it goes overboard I think it will not help. There will be a lot of young resident trappers that will not want to invest ALOT of time training. Which could happen if we are pushed to take a pile of courses. Also the Average resident young kid will look at his pocket change after a season and after he catches 10 coyotes , couple weasel and the family squirrel behind the house. Then get his paycheck of a few hundred bucks and then has to go and take his yearly course for $600 and will realise ya it's fun but not worth it. Do we want that? Not saying that is how it will happen but it might.

If there is mandatory training I would also like to see more courses available by numerous people or companies teaching it.
And maybe there is but I also find that it is really hard to keep up on what is going on in the trapping world. If it wasn't for facebook or this site I would not hear a peep about a course being offered or a get together or Rendezvous. I think we could be more organized as trappers or maybe it is just me and don't know where to look or spend the time doing it... who knows.

The main concern and reason for me being upset at these changes are as follows.

1. The fact that traplines are trying to be devalued. And no it is not an investment for me but would like a fair value back in what i paid for it.
2. The fact the Bio's have way too much power in what is done with a line. There has to be a better system in place to justify who they transfer a line to if vacant.
3. The fact if I were to die tomorrow my family just lost a pile of money because my kids are not old enough for a trappers license and the line will be given away!!!!
4.The fact that they are pushing to have cabinless lines
5. The fact that when you do want to sell your line the Bio may just say he would rather give it to his good buddy or whoever the he!! he wants to!!

I would say those are the real issues and concerns or owners of RMFA's right now and are for me. I can live with the training aspect of thing and I can live with them pushing for lines to be used if they do it in a way that is fair and square and gives someone every oportunity to explain why they can't use a line. (health issue but will put a JR on in the meanwhile)
Or death in the family but will allow an active JR or 2 till the line is sold.
I just want some common sense with all this and in a lot of it I sure don't see it.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:41 AM
Banned

I agree with most of that nube. There really needs to be a provision there for that situation of a trapper dying or falling ill. Assign a junior until the kids are old enough, allow a sale, or whatever works. Same for unused lines. Maybe forced sale isn't necessary right away, but force him to name a junior in timely fashion or have one assigned?

I think the changes are well intentioned. Hopefully the actions to get there are acceptable.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 AM

With a senior assigning a junior to a line in the event of sickness, how would the split of the harvest be allocated? I know some wanted 50% without incuring any cost of actual expendatures.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 AM

The split would be a deal between the 2 partners. No need to involve Gov.
Along as fur records are brought in, the line is being trapped according to the new rules. If not, pull the licence.
Many of same rules as the last 20 years, only now they might be enforced.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
The split would be a deal between the 2 partners. No need to involve Gov.
Along as fur records are brought in, the line is being trapped according to the new rules. If not, pull the licence.
Many of same rules as the last 20 years, only now they might be enforced.
Exactly! As lonlg as the line is being used and we have rules in place to be fair for all parties. Any deal made with a Jr partner would be between the SR and JR and nobody else should be involved.

BAMBI- which part of my comment do you not agree with?