Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 PM

Default Convert full choke shotgun to screw in threads

Hi there I have a shotgun that is sentimental to me that I would love to get more use out of. Unfortunately it is a fixed full choke. It is a Winchester 2200 and I am looking to get the barrel set up to take screw in chokes. Does anyone know of anyone who does this kind of work. Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 11:04 PM

You could have the choke reamed to modified easily enough by any competent gunsmith. Screw in chokes would cost more than the gun is worth, unless you really really are attached to it...
Old 07-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Briley does this, but as Brewster mentioned the cost would be well above the value of the shotgun.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 PM

Default chokes

we can do that job.Dons gunsmithing rocky mountain house ab.65.00 per barrel plus the price of the chokes
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM

The 2200 barrel cant use steel shot. You probably know that but it’s worth mentioning, just in case.

I have one and it shoots just fine with the full choke, that being said it took a while to find a load it liked. Have heard of a few owners who did the choke mods and were less than thrilled to find out that doesn’t change its ability to shoot steel.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 PM

Most shotguns shoot steel better from less restriction so most of mine prefer Improved cylinder being even more open than modified.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Most shotguns shoot steel better from less restriction so most of mine prefer Improved cylinder being even more open than modified.
Except the barrel isn’t rated for steel. If you wanted to take a chance on it, you have to do both the choke and lengthen the forcing cone, and the reality is no one knows exactly what the forcing cone should be, they are just guessing.

steel shot from modern shells could cause excess wear in the barrel regardless of what final dimensions it arrives at. If it was an old beater project, sure, take your chances. Not what I would do with a gun that has sentimental value as the OP stated.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:54 AM

Default If the barrel says 2 3/4

then the forcing cone is right for 2 3/4 shells whether lead or steel. If is says 3 inch same thing
the forcing cone is just an area that allows the shell to open. Putting a 3 inch shell in a gun rated for 2 3/4 only is wrong no matter whether steel or lead there isnt enough room for the crimped area to open in the chamber.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
then the forcing cone is right for 2 3/4 shells whether lead or steel. If is says 3 inch same thing
the forcing cone is just an area that allows the shell to open. Putting a 3 inch shell in a gun rated for 2 3/4 only is wrong no matter whether steel or lead there isnt enough room for the crimped area to open in the chamber.
No, the forcing cone is ahead of the chamber. The shell opens in the chamber (as you stated further down), and the forcing cone funnels the shot into the bore. On older shotguns the forcing cone can be very short with a steep angle. It is on the 2200. This works for lead, which is soft, but can cause serious pressure issues and/or barrel wear with non-compressible steel shot.

Modern shotguns have much R&D put into the metallurgy and internal dimensions of their barrels designed for steel shot. A gunsmith taking a reamer to an old gun is guessing and hoping for the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAAAD011-8ACF-4D60-B1BB-0A881DC09B34.jpg (34.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-14-2018, 10:27 AM

As much ore morev research has been done on developing wads for steel as there has been fir barrels themselves .
Barrel steel is actually pretty soft and even modern shotgun barrels are not that tough .
Forcing cones need to be relieved to stop bridging of steel shot - which is more iron that steel anyway.
Cat