Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Bow Recommendations for Beginner

Looking for some help with bow recommendations. I've shot a compound bow only a few times, and really do not know where to start. Looking to spend no more than $500, but can spend a little more if the value makes sense.

I'll probably spend at least full year practicing, and when I get experienced enough, I don't imagine I'll be hunting for much beyond mule deer.

Any help is appreciated
Old 07-12-2018, 01:41 PM

No one?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM

Buying a bow is like buying shoes, what works for or fits well for one person might not work as well for the next. That being said I would head to a good bow shop and try out some bows. They will be able to give you some shooting pointers and good advice on gear.

As long as the bow is in good shape you can't really go wrong with most bo so these days. An entry level bow now would be top of the line 10 years ago.

As a new shooter don't get caught up in the quest for speed. In the end it's still a bow not a rifle and will be "slow". I would look for the following things in a bow:

Larger brace height, this should make it more forgiving of errors in form.

A longer ATA aka overall length, usually means a more stable bow and easier to hold on target.

A quiet bow with no shock or vibration when shooting.

A bow that is smooth, the guys at the store can explain it. Essentially easier to pull, all bows of the same weight don't feel alike.

A super solid back wall. This will help form (accuracy) and make holding at full draw easier.

Save some money in the budget for a GOOD release, sight, quiver, arrows, wax, case and a target.

Let us know what you ended up with. Welcome to the addiction. 😀😀
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM

If you are a beginner i will give you an approx. bare minimum cost for your accessories so you know what you are working with.

Sight $40 Trophy Ridge 4 pin
Rest $50 Biscuit
Release $40 Cheapest at Cabelas
6 arrows $60 Cabelas house brand
Field Points $10 Any brand
Quiver $50 Muzzy Tac5
Case $50 Cabelas basic soft case

You can get package bows for the $450 to $500 range but they are entry level and until you get into the Hoyt and Bowtech packages at $800, the accessories are fairly poor. Also no packages to my knowledge will include arrows, a release, and a case.

Going to a pro shop like Accurate Archery or Jimbows is always a good idea for proper fit and some coaching. But to be realistic, and I am thinking about the stock they have and current prices, it would be tough to be out the door for under $1000 once you add the above listed items.

There is the used route and you can save quite a bit of money, but unless you have a friend that has a lot of experience with a bow, you run the risk of getting the wrong size or worst than that, a damaged bow.

Not trying to be negative or discourage you, just giving you a reasonable expectation.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:05 PM

I started a few years ago with a $500 budget. I ended up with the diamond infinite edge, bought and set up at jimbows Edmonton. It's an entry level bow. Highly adjustable. 6 gold tip hunter xt arrows.

It's been a great bow. I've since upgraded the rest, sight and stabilizer but with everything that comes with the bow i was able to harvest a bull moose and a nice whitetail buck.

Try as many bows as you can in your price range. Pick what feels the best for you and practice, practice, practice.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
If you are a beginner i will give you an approx. bare minimum cost for your accessories so you know what you are working with.

Sight $40 Trophy Ridge 4 pin
Rest $50 Biscuit
Release $40 Cheapest at Cabelas
6 arrows $60 Cabelas house brand
Field Points $10 Any brand
Quiver $50 Muzzy Tac5
Case $50 Cabelas basic soft case

You can get package bows for the $450 to $500 range but they are entry level and until you get into the Hoyt and Bowtech packages at $800, the accessories are fairly poor. Also no packages to my knowledge will include arrows, a release, and a case.

Going to a pro shop like Accurate Archery or Jimbows is always a good idea for proper fit and some coaching. But to be realistic, and I am thinking about the stock they have and current prices, it would be tough to be out the door for under $1000 once you add the above listed items.

There is the used route and you can save quite a bit of money, but unless you have a friend that has a lot of experience with a bow, you run the risk of getting the wrong size or worst than that, a damaged bow.

Not trying to be negative or discourage you, just giving you a reasonable expectation.
I'll add one caveat to this.
Buy all your stuff from Cabela's (as recommended) and likely get no usable advice on how to use it.
Go to a reputable shop (like Jimbows)...pay no more and have the bow properly fitted to you and a lesson on how to use it properly.
I purchased a BowTec, fully set up with case and arrows for about $600.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I started a few years ago with a $500 budget. I ended up with the diamond infinite edge, bought and set up at jimbows Edmonton. It's an entry level bow. Highly adjustable. 6 gold tip hunter xt arrows.

It's been a great bow. I've since upgraded the rest, sight and stabilizer but with everything that comes with the bow i was able to harvest a bull moose and a nice whitetail buck.

Try as many bows as you can in your price range. Pick what feels the best for you and practice, practice, practice.
I have Diamond Infinite Edge Pro in Buy/Sell - has release, upgraded sight and soft case (with a small rip). Barely used, < 1 y/o, it's pink, but at a great price. Just saying... .
Old 07-12-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I'll add one caveat to this.
Buy all your stuff from Cabela's (as recommended) and likely get no usable advice on how to use it.
Go to a reputable shop (like Jimbows)...pay no more and have the bow properly fitted to you and a lesson on how to use it properly.
I purchased a BowTec, fully set up with case and arrows for about $600.
No, no, no..... I did not suggest he go to Cabelas. I used the Cabelas brand and pricing because I was quoting the lowest available pricing for accessories. Did you read my opening statement?

If you are a beginner i will give you an approx. bare minimum cost for your accessories

And what year did you buy your Bowtech, arrows, and case? And was that a Bowtech or a Diamond? All I did was give the OP a reasonable expectation of the cost starting from ground zero. If you want to let the OP think he can walk into Jimbow with $600 and walk out with a fully set up Bowtech (not a Diamond) with arrows and case, then you are setting him up for disappointment.

Everything has gone up literally 50% since 2013 when the dollar was last on par.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Not sure on your location but this might be an option.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=345495

You could take the remaining $200 and get a better rest, arrows, release, and peep. Purchase the items from a shop like Accurate Archery or Jimbows and I am sure they will set you up right.

Good Luck
Old 07-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, no, no..... I did not suggest he go to Cabelas. I used the Cabelas brand and pricing because I was quoting the lowest available pricing for accessories. Did you read my opening statement?

If you are a beginner i will give you an approx. bare minimum cost for your accessories

And what year did you buy your Bowtech, arrows, and case? And was that a Bowtech or a Diamond? All I did was give the OP a reasonable expectation of the cost starting from ground zero. If you want to let the OP think he can walk into Jimbow with $600 and walk out with a fully set up Bowtech (not a Diamond) with arrows and case, then you are setting him up for disappointment.

Everything has gone up literally 50% since 2013 when the dollar was last on par.
Sorry BD...yes I did assume you were suggesting Cabela's.
And though I'm not sure of the exact model, it was the fall of 2016 that we bought my son's gear at Jimbow's...and paid, all set up just a shade over $600.00
I'd still suggest that if the OP has a definite budget he shop at a reputable dealer, maybe forego some of the items you've suggested and get instead the proper setup and training that he'll get.
This is one of the things I love about them...recently my other son decided to upgrade the sights on his WinWin Olympic bow. We'd looked at a Shibuya sight that was recommended to us and Jimbow's said it would be close to $400 to get in. My kid is 17 and really couldn't afford that. Carsen (great guy) said an Avalon at $100 would work just as well. All metal, precision made...it's great.
If they know you're on a budget they'll make it work.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Sorry BD...yes I did assume you were suggesting Cabela's.
And though I'm not sure of the exact model, it was the fall of 2016 that we bought my son's gear at Jimbow's...and paid, all set up just a shade over $600.00
I'd still suggest that if the OP has a definite budget he shop at a reputable dealer, maybe forego some of the items you've suggested and get instead the proper setup and training that he'll get.
This is one of the things I love about them...recently my other son decided to upgrade the sights on his WinWin Olympic bow. We'd looked at a Shibuya sight that was recommended to us and Jimbow's said it would be close to $400 to get in. My kid is 17 and really couldn't afford that. Carsen (great guy) said an Avalon at $100 would work just as well. All metal, precision made...it's great.
If they know you're on a budget they'll make it work.
No worries, my 1st post was a lot "Doom and Gloom". My 3rd post might have been better and the more helpful off the get go.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Not sure on your location but this might be an option.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=345495

You could take the remaining $200 and get a better rest, arrows, release, and peep. Purchase the items from a shop like Accurate Archery or Jimbows and I am sure they will set you up right.

Good Luck
Or, one could get a barely used Pro model of the same bow, with release, upgraded sight, square and a soft case for less money...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347701
Old 07-13-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Or, one could get a barely used Pro model of the same bow, with release, upgraded sight, square and a soft case for less money...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347701
Nice, but not the color I would choose, but then again I am not the OP
Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM

I have a Mattews Creed 70# 28” draw comes with sight ,wrist sling and whisker biscuit this bow has been hardly shot . For a guy starting out I’ll make it worth your while . Contact me if interested
Old 07-16-2018, 09:17 AM

Hey pine.

My recommendation is to buy a good used bow. I have got 3 of my buddies bows from the buy and sell from this site. You can find a high end (for the time) that is 2-4 years old for the price your looking for. You just have to keep an eye out for them. My reason to buy a high end used bow is if you fall in love with archery you will want to upgrade your bow to a higher end bow sooner then later. (my opinion). A 3 year high end bow will shoot better then a low end new bow (my opinion)

That said, spend time at an archery shop and shoot as many bows as you can to get a feel for what you like. once you think you know what you like find a few used bows and do a little research on them.

Also if you have a buddy that knows archery equipment, bring him/her along to look at the used bows. just to make sure your getting a bow in good shape and not a POS.

my .02
Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 AM

I bought a bear cruiser and love it. It is ready to hunt and shoots well. I have a few thousand arrows through it now and it has held up fantastic. It has traveled hundreds of km through the thick crap. I will upgrade next year probably.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 AM

I bought a bear cruiser and love it. It is ready to hunt and shoots well. I have a few thousand arrows through it now and it has held up fantastic. It has traveled hundreds of km through the thick crap. I will upgrade next year probably.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 AM

I'd 2nd the motion to pick up something used. I'm not sure you can piece together something new - that's reasonable - for under $500.

I also, highly recommend heading to a shop like Jim-Bows to give you a general overview. I was in a few weeks ago when a fellow dropped in, complaining that he had purchased a bow from Cabela's and they didn't tell him not to dry fire it. Sure enough, as soon as he got home he opened the package, took it to full draw and let it rip.

I'm not saying that you'd do this but it's helpful to have someone help for 30-60 mins.

Otherwise, you might not know what you don't know.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM

As others have suggested go to a PRO shop.
Buy a good bow.

Let's say you spend $1000. for your first bow? If you shoot your bow for 3-4 years, that translates to 2-3 hundred bucks per year or a couple nights in the bar.
You could most likely re sell your bow for 4-500 bucks so now with sale resale it would be like a night in the bar? Now take your $500. buy a 2000 dollar bow and never look back.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.