Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Floating the red deer river in drumheller

Anyonr done this so far this year? Anything to look out for, best places to put in and get out etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-15-2018, 02:27 PM

I’ve done it from the campground a few miles out of town down to the bridge in town. Nice float on a tube. Water was clear then. Looking down I seen a lot of fish. Took a couple hours.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:04 PM

A few years back we had friends that canoed from the bridge just west of Trochu to Drum. They found two buffalo skulls at different locations sticking out of sandbars. I can't remember the time of year but, they said the river was quiet and peaceful.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:19 PM

I kayaked down and camped from the big valley bridge on may long weekend. 75km go. Nothing to major to report. Get your stretches In And plenty of sunscreen and h2o
Old 07-15-2018, 07:46 PM

How long do you wanna go for and what are you floating on?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:42 PM

Something fairly short, like a good long afternoon. Floating with tubes, and 10, 11 and 13 year olds
Old 07-15-2018, 09:35 PM

Your best bet is either starting or ending at newcastle beach

Starting at the kneehill county sign on hwy 837 just west of nacmine to the beach i think is the nicest float, but around 4-6 hrs depending on river speed and how often you swim or stop

Can start at the beach and go to the football field by the highschool which is around 2-3 hrs or you can continue past there and go to the bridge in rosedale which is around 4-6hrs again.

All these places are easy to look up on google maps, and are the most accessible for vehicles and kids, honestly your best bet is probably beach to high school, its a little shorter 2-3 but in town the whole time incase something goes wrong. Just stop amd swim in spots to make it a little longer if need be. Or do the longer floats just take lots of water and a cell phone in a dry bag just in case. Wind makes quite a difference in float times as well just to keep in mind. Sometimes you wont be moving at all with the right wind.

Any more questions dont be afraid to ask
Old 07-15-2020, 08:07 AM

Anyone know what the river conditions are like right now with all the rain we have been having?

Me and a buddy are heading to Drumheller camping this weekend and were thinking of taking 5 young kids on the river for a float. I'm thinking we may want canoes vs. inflatables with the volume of water.

Any local thoughts or advise would be much appreciated.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Practitioner View Post
Anyone know what the river conditions are like right now with all the rain we have been having?

Me and a buddy are heading to Drumheller camping this weekend and were thinking of taking 5 young kids on the river for a float. I'm thinking we may want canoes vs. inflatables with the volume of water.

Any local thoughts or advise would be much appreciated.
It’s muddy! I drove by last weekend on the Way to the gopher patch (I love picking bouquets of fresh gophers this time of year). There were lots of folks in canoes and kayaks.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:24 PM

Dangerous river with sand bars that are like quick sand that could swallow you whole. Be carefull.