Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Thumbs up Walleye management in buck lake

I just wanted to give a big congrats to the guys upstairs in charge of the fishing rules. Last year I filled out a survey on buck lake ( north of rimbey) and was quaking in my boots ... 2 years of poor walleye fishing ... In previous year we would hook 100 or more in the last hour if sun and lately to say the least it has been dead slow!! I have fished buck lake for over 10 years and when u started 55 cm fish were not uncommon at all about 6 years ago the size limit was dropped from 50 cm to 43 cm and after only 2 or 3 years it became almost impossible to find one keeper size .... Upon completing this survey I knew what was gonna happen just by the way the questionnaire was worded ... Harvest would b shut down completely and or a tag draw system brought in .... But to my amazement I was wrong. This year the limit was raised back to 50 cm ..!! I think this is great!! Now the walleye will get a few years spawn under their belts before they can b harvested... As far as I'm concerned thus us the best thing that could happen to buck ( other than somehow stopping all the fertilizer from adjoining farms from blooming algae to the point of fish suffocation) I know there is hundreds if thousands of walleye in there and u can't wait for another couple years to catch good ones again!!! I'm taking the boat out later this week so I will update on how I did and the state if the lake for those interested.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM

If you ever got up realy early and fished that lake you would have noticed the nets in the lake. They normaly get pulled out before 8:00am.
I wish they would post at the dock if netting is allowed or not.
Would make it alot easyer to report then.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM

I was out at buck a few weeks ago, and you can already notice a difference in size of the walleyes. We never got any keepers, but if it stays on the same course, we should be seeing some decent fish in the couple of years...
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Hey jr as far as I knew all betting on buck lake is dine by either fisheries management or the commercial contract for that lake ( which takes an average of 3 tons of whitefish per year ) but yes as far as I could gather from locals the better walleye fishing on buck in recent years has been early morning. And hunter trav that's great news buck had billions if walleye and it'll b good to c keepers again!! ....... Another walleye lake I wanna spout off about us mcgregor res. .... U have fished this lake as well for over ten years. As long as I have fished mcgregor there has always been an abundance of walleye... I've caught more #'s and bigger walleye here than anywere else I've fished. I can hardly toss anything in that lake and not get walleye ..... So if this lake is so packed with walleye including the 8 lb monster I caught and released last year I feel it's time to introduce a harvest on this lake! With mcgregor being one of only a few lakes within a couple hours of this city of a million people maybe a harvest opportunity would b benifitial to the lake and help cut down on poaching ..... What do u feel ... Anyone who fishes mcgregor I'd love to gear your input good luck fishing everyone!!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM

I've done really well there the past couple of summers, but I'm gonna leave it alone this year and let those fishy's grow. Might try again this winter...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:45 PM

I've been there when subsistance fishermen have been going out with nets to put in just as it is getting dark.