Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 AM

Default Help..Rust problem

Had call from friend who found his two nice rifles in cases...completely soaked from water damage..for a month
Naturally they are covered with rust and ugly. Cleaned up best he could. Any ideas for further action on the guns

Tks
Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 AM

Send them to a gunsmith to see if they are salvageable.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 AM

I'd strip them down to nothing! .If there's external rust, there's internal rust, have a competent gunsmith clean all internal parts . If the rust has pitted the finish you won't get the pitts out with out millwork . Never leave guns in gun cases for storage!!!! . The fabric sucks up humidity and transfers it to the firearm finish(unless he uses a silicone cloth over entire surface?)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:41 AM

From a months exposure I'd agree with the gunsmith recommendation. I got one of my rifles wet for 1 or 2 days and it had a bit of rust on the bolt, the barrel was fine. I had it in my truck inside the canopy, but I hadn't noticed the front slider of it was opened, and some rain got in through there while I was driving. I tried a product called Evapo-Rust that I got at Lee Valley Tools (I've also since seen it at Canadian Tire in the auto body repair section). The stuff worked very well, and took aff the small amount of rust without any ill effects to the remaining metal, the drawback is it also removes bluing (which technically is a form of rust)
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM

I always store my guns in hard cases,and I have never had any rust problems,but I don't leave them where there is any danger of water damage.My hard cases have foam liners which I spray some G-96 into now and then,and I never put a gun into storage until it is dry and at room temperature.