Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Default Jet boat questions

Good Day. Been a lurker for awhile, have now reach a point that I have some questions.
Looking to buy a boat for small lake and river fishing. Hope to stay away from the white water...
What I have been looking at/for is something in the 14 to 16 foot range, I believe a mod-v hull is also on the list. I am thinking a O/B jet drive as the engine of choice, but some of those surface drives have peaked my attention (Prodrive, mud buddy, etc). Tiller or CC work for me, but have also looked at stick steering, since alot of the time I will be fishing alone.
Looking at room for 2 maybe 3 people and fishing gear, with the occasional 2 people and camping stuff trips.
As a last item, would love it to not weigh a huge amount, incase I do stuff it on a sand or rock bar.

Any ideas?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 PM

You're gonna want to look bigger, think 18+ feet with a wide beam. Mine is 19 and is perfect for 3 guys with a medium amount of gear. Any more gear or people and it would get tight
Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 PM

If I go to 19, I feel like I would be better off with a Merc Sport Jet for power. May I ask what hull make or type you run?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:15 PM

Look at buying one in the usa. I got mine in Boise Idaho way more to choose from and great deals mine is a 20 ft duckworth with a 351. Fully loaded for fishing with kicker bow mount 4 batteries gear and 200 L of gas it'll run at 3200 rpm and do 28-32mph. If I go up to 4000 rpm it'll do 40-44mph but the fuel gauge doesn't like that lol. I would stay away from the sportjets. Where are you located?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:53 PM

I see you're in spruce. You can come for a ride on mine one day soon if you like. Might help you make up you mind on what you're looking for.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 PM

" I would stay away from the sportjets"

how come ? i have 100+ hours on mine and am very happy with it .
Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
" I would stay away from the sportjets"

how come ? i have 100+ hours on mine and am very happy with it .
Sorry I shouldn't have said that they are good engines. I meant if he is looking at buying a used one as they are a lot harder to work on if you have engine problems.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:32 PM

Sounds like you have similar needs as mine. This is my 17ft tracker with a 45 merc o/b jet. Lotsa room and handles rivers excellent. @nd pic shows the room in the boat and remember im working the tiller and camera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0400.jpg (41.4 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0390.jpg (40.9 KB, 269 views)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM

Centerpin, how deep of water do you need? I am thinking of getting one for Yukon river hunting. .BEL
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterPin View Post
Sounds like you have similar needs as mine. This is my 17ft tracker with a 45 merc o/b jet. Lotsa room and handles rivers excellent. @nd pic shows the room in the boat and remember im working the tiller and camera
Nice boat! perfect all around boat right there!

Here is my 18.6 kingfisher. With some mods I can put 4 and moderate gear in it. A couple of guys can grunt it of a sand bar! Dont ask how I know that! lol
Weight:1600lbs
Powered by: merc sport jet
fuel:132 liters pump gas
6-8" draft on step Will run 4" flat out 2 men in the boat.

In my opinion if you are looking for river/lake capability you may want to go 18ft or slightly larger. Can I ask why you are looking at O/B or tiller?

Never been happier............ Lines tight gents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the jet.jpg (76.8 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by The cooter; 07-25-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 PM

Thanks. Id say about 6 inches on plain. Cant wait to get it back up to Terrace this year, took 3 weeks off this year for my steelhead/coho trip
Old 07-25-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
:

Sorry I shouldn't have said that they are good engines. I meant if he is looking at buying a used one as they are a lot harder to work on if you have engine problems.
fair enough. i cant comment cause i have yet to do any work on it .
Old 07-26-2014, 09:36 AM

Oh and don't worry about pushing it off a gravel bar. 3 guys can push a 19 footer with a V8 off of almost anything. Unless you decide to do something really stupid. Trust me, I know from experience.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Oh and don't worry about pushing it off a gravel bar. 3 guys can push a 19 footer with a V8 off of almost anything. Unless you decide to do something really stupid. Trust me, I know from experience.

What kind of boat do you run, size hull angle and motor size. I have been starting of thinking of changing from the lund to a jet boat.

On average what do you say fuel costs are for you?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
What kind of boat do you run, size hull angle and motor size. I have been starting of thinking of changing from the lund to a jet boat.

On average what do you say fuel costs are for you?
19 foot thunderjet Luxor, Kodiak 350 (320HP), SD 309 pump, 12 degree hull. Its a good compromise between lake and river.

A lot
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 AM

From the picture it looks as if your also running a kicker?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:52 AM

lund rebel-- my sport jet probably burns twice the fuel my 90 evinrude does
Old 07-26-2014, 07:36 PM

I bought a used 16' Harbour Craft Nahani a couple years ago. Not a big boat for sure. it has a 45 merc ob jet, for two people it has turned out to be a dam dandy little boat. Works good on the N Sask and on lakes just fine. I was worried about not enogh power but for two people its ok, not fast but it gets up and crises along well enough.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 PM

CenterPin...that's what I am looking for, would not mind if it had a CC, but the tiller is fine. Like all the room for a couple fisherman to run amok in there. Is that a 4 stroke or 2 stroke on there. Seeing as 2 strokes are like friggin hens teeth to find in good shape.
Been looking at Crestliner 1652 ad the similar Lowes hull. Did not even think of the Trackers as I have never seen one , I don't think, at the boat show.
pdfish...might have to take you up on that, will see what comes down the pipe in the next stretch. Has made me think about other options...just I really like the all open look, like on the 142 and 162 Explorers, or the RiverPro, mind you they a expensive..lol.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Does anyone know of a Canadian builder of a boat like these:
http://www.rockproofboats.com/riverjet.html
http://www.riverpro-boats.com/186LoProSCC

Like the low profile and all the room and storage, and that the motor is not in my way...lol
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 AM

ya mine has a 2 stroke on it. Had been considering an upgrade to a new 4 stroke and put a cc on it. Just so damn hard to take off such an awesome motor, been running it for 4 years now without so much as a hiccup.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_cold View Post
Does anyone know of a Canadian builder of a boat like these:
http://www.rockproofboats.com/riverjet.html
http://www.riverpro-boats.com/186LoProSCC

Like the low profile and all the room and storage, and that the motor is not in my way...lol
I wouldn't get a low profile river boat, IMO. I know having a "taller" setup with the self draining front has probably saved my arse once or twice, especially in bigger water
Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
I wouldn't get a low profile river boat, IMO. I know having a "taller" setup with the self draining front has probably saved my arse once or twice, especially in bigger water
Ageed! Mine too..........
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
Look at buying one in the usa. I got mine in Boise Idaho way more to choose from and great deals mine is a 20 ft duckworth with a 351. Fully loaded for fishing with kicker bow mount 4 batteries gear and 200 L of gas it'll run at 3200 rpm and do 28-32mph. If I go up to 4000 rpm it'll do 40-44mph but the fuel gauge doesn't like that lol. I would stay away from the sportjets. Where are you located?
DUCKWORTH my dream jet boat
Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM

You had better pay attention to bottom thickness and number of stringers if you plan on running a river that has a rock bottom.

I have a Kingfisher Warrior with the 200 sport jet. My bottom is 0.190" and more than double that in the center keel with a strip of UHMW plastic on it. I consider it to be as light duty as one would ever want to go.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM

I currently run an Alumacraft MV1650SC up in the Mac on the Clearwater and Athabasca rivers. Works perfect for what I needed, which was an affordable entry level river boat. Dry weight is approx 700lbs not including engine, the driver/passenger seats flip up, there is a storage compartment undereath, and 2nd dry storage compartment up front and live well + rod storage. Gibbons motor toys in AB sells them, and I am more then happy with mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.1 KB, 122 views)

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 AM

Have heard good things about the Alumacraft.
ROA...have started looking at hull thickness and UHMW strips, learning a lot more concerning rivers and rocks...lol
Old 07-30-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Angler View Post
I currently run an Alumacraft MV1650SC up in the Mac on the Clearwater and Athabasca rivers. Works perfect for what I needed, which was an affordable entry level river boat. Dry weight is approx 700lbs not including engine, the driver/passenger seats flip up, there is a storage compartment undereath, and 2nd dry storage compartment up front and live well + rod storage. Gibbons motor toys in AB sells them, and I am more then happy with mine!

What size of motor are you running
Old 07-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
What size of motor are you running
60/40 jet

I'll get 25-29 mph depending on water level and current, fastest obviously going with current.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_cold View Post
Have heard good things about the Alumacraft.
ROA...have started looking at hull thickness and UHMW strips, learning a lot more concerning rivers and rocks...lol
I think Outlaw has the thickest hull available. With 1/2" of aluminum a 1"thick by 24" wide stripe of teflon down the center and the rest of the bottom with 1/2" of Teflon. Match that with 7 stringers. Bullet proof.